Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is sick of Australia?

who is sick of Australia?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:14 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who is sick of Australia?

Originally Posted by renth
Not sure it will but were much better placed to ride it out i.e. it's sunny and I've got a fishing rod. Back in the UK we'd be starving and huddling round a cande for warmth.
You have a candle !!!!!!!,bloody posh
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Olibeneli;6851750]
Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Wearing shorts and T.Shirt for work and getting paid more for a 4 day week than I did for a 5 day in the U.K
QUOTE]

What sort of work would that be and at what exchange rate are you using ?
For this you should not use an exchange rate, you are earning and spending Pounds in England
Earning and spending Dollars in Australia

Therefore it should be a comparison of what you can buy with what you earn, not a conversion into Sterling

Stu
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Could be worse

You could be in NZ where its more expensive, less remunerated but oh what wonderful countryside.

Where the men are men and the sheep are scared.
just rub it in....

I have wanted to be in Oz for a loooong time! Just another couple of years to go
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
I know what you mean. I mean how could you possibly like the following:

A 5 minute walk to the beach every morning with the dog.
People stopping and chatting to you all the time and being so happy at 6 a.m in the morning.
Walking along the beautiful beach with islands in the background, plam trees and the rainforest as a backdrop.
Even dogs are chilled out here and it has rubbed off on my dog..he is officially a liad back ozzie dog now!
Being invited to BBQ's, boat trips or out for a meal on the esplanade.
Wearing shorts and T.Shirt for work and getting paid more for a 4 day week than I did for a 5 day in the U.K
Long, winding quiet coastal and country roads...terrible for motorbiking!
A traffic jam of 6 cars on the way to work, I must contact transport dept.
Laying by the pool on days off surrounded by palm trees and still feeling like I am on holiday.
Having the choice of city, beach, rainforest, barrier reef or countryside every weekend. How are you suposed to decide what to do?
Free festivals, free swimming lagoons, free yoga etc etc..not used to getting anything free!
Being able to reply on the weather.

Well, I dont know how much more of this happiness I can stand. better go back to U.k and be a whinging old pom...
I see your life is a shit as mine. My sincere condolences.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:59 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

It would seem to me that how many people are here and how many people are leaving is an indication of not very much except the boredom exhibited by statisticians (of which I am one by the way). Lots of people are just plain nomadic and have a bit of adventure in them and want to try out something new instead of going through their lives living in the village / town / county / country / state / region they were born in. People generally leave war torn areas or areas of civil unrest for fear of their lives. I might be wrong but I can't see too many of those leaving either the UK or aussie listing "fear of being blown up or shot" as their reason for change? As for permanent there is no such thing, as no-one can predict the future or see the unexpected coming. I "believe" I will live for the rest of my days in sunny Australia that is if my current equilibrium is not upset ~ but if anything were to happen to my son in the UK where he needed permanent care or help ~ my reasons / status quo / beliefs and all sorts of things could change overnight.

Every time I talk to someone in the UK the conversation turns around to the weather and there is NO getting away from it the sun plays a huge part in Aussie life, while the rain takes up a lot of conversation about the UK. If Aussie is not the place to be then move on ~ everything is POSSIBLE with planning ~ if you took the leap to get here then it can surely be reversed it just needs that same commitment and belief that going back is the way to go. I think threads like this are good and bad, they're designed to be provocative ~ I agree people should consider everyone's experiences but those that are GREAT are just as valid and worth talking about as those which are poor and just because some people are having a poor experience does not mean we should not cheer about the joys or be determined to look for the negative to cloud someones view. If you're going to be objective BE objective.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default who is sick of Australia?

I was in Albury Wodonga last week.

Lovely place, a little quiet and too chilly for me but...................I found a public house based upon a pommie pub theme named the Bended Elbow (I also thought that is a rather cute name for a pub) anyway I thoroughly enjoyed several pints of Newcastle Brown on tap.

Jolly refreshing and served at the correct chilled temperature, simply superb!

Went back several times during the week for several more, absolutely splendid!

So, the moral of the story, if you are ever in Albury Wodonga, make your way down Dean Street to the Bended Elbow and if you see a miserable looking gut at the bar supping some Newcastle Brown.................it could be me..............offer to buy me a pint.........please!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
So, the moral of the story, if you are ever in Albury Wodonga, make your way down Dean Street to the Bended Elbow and if you see a miserable looking gut at the bar supping some Newcastle Brown.................it could be me..............offer to buy me a pint.........please!
Why would your gut be miserable if you were filling it with Newcastle Brown? Oh hang on.......
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jellibaby
It would seem to me that how many people are here and how many people are leaving is an indication of not very much except the boredom exhibited by statisticians (of which I am one by the way). Lots of people are just plain nomadic and have a bit of adventure in them and want to try out something new instead of going through their lives living in the village / town / county / country / state / region they were born in. People generally leave war torn areas or areas of civil unrest for fear of their lives. I might be wrong but I can't see too many of those leaving either the UK or aussie listing "fear of being blown up or shot" as their reason for change? As for permanent there is no such thing, as no-one can predict the future or see the unexpected coming. I "believe" I will live for the rest of my days in sunny Australia that is if my current equilibrium is not upset ~ but if anything were to happen to my son in the UK where he needed permanent care or help ~ my reasons / status quo / beliefs and all sorts of things could change overnight.

Every time I talk to someone in the UK the conversation turns around to the weather and there is NO getting away from it the sun plays a huge part in Aussie life, while the rain takes up a lot of conversation about the UK. If Aussie is not the place to be then move on ~ everything is POSSIBLE with planning ~ if you took the leap to get here then it can surely be reversed it just needs that same commitment and belief that going back is the way to go. I think threads like this are good and bad, they're designed to be provocative ~ I agree people should consider everyone's experiences but those that are GREAT are just as valid and worth talking about as those which are poor and just because some people are having a poor experience does not mean we should not cheer about the joys or be determined to look for the negative to cloud someones view. If you're going to be objective BE objective.

That is very true, I am here for now and who knows about the future ?? I think we think too much
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

If it doesn't work out in Oz, for whatever reason, I won't be going back to the UK. I've told my OH that already. Can't hack the crap weather here. Next stop California ????
The world's a big place and, if it doesn't work out, try somewhere else !!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
If it doesn't work out in Oz, for whatever reason, I won't be going back to the UK. I've told my OH that already. Can't hack the crap weather here. Next stop California ????
Our thoughts exactly!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:29 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
So, the moral of the story, if you are ever in Albury Wodonga, make your way down Dean Street to the Bended Elbow

Was in Albury a few weeks ago. Bended Elbow is OK. I also liked the Commercial Club - great snooker tables and no charge to play.

I found the atmosphere at the SS&A club rather abhorrent though. Don't think I'll be back there again anytime soon.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BATS666
The world is a very big place. Although not sure I could hack California. Oz is pretty Americanised without going the whole hog.

Asia and the Pacific Islands are currently options under consideration.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
The world is a very big place. Although not sure I could hack California. Oz is pretty Americanised without going the whole hog.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say "Americanised". America is a very big country with very different regions. For instance I lived across the border from upstate New York, about 40 minutes from Buffalo. It's a very different type of place than where my son lives in Atlanta Georgia. Atlanta is a large city, but with real southern roots. We also spent a good few years in Vancouver, which is relatively close to Seattle. Another totally different type of feel than Atlanta or Buffalo. Northern California is different to Southern California, which is different to the mid-west where my brother lives in Indiana.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:54 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke

I agree, more than I thought it would be to be honest.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm not sure what people mean when they say "Americanised". America is a very big country with very different regions. For instance I lived across the border from upstate New York, about 40 minutes from Buffalo. It's a very different type of place than where my son lives in Atlanta Georgia. Atlanta is a large city, but with real southern roots. We also spent a good few years in Vancouver, which is relatively close to Seattle. Another totally different type of feel than Atlanta or Buffalo. Northern California is different to Southern California, which is different to the mid-west where my brother lives in Indiana.
Americanised = like America?

What I meant is that Australia shares alot of similarities with America. That I was quite clear to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.