Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is sick of Australia?

who is sick of Australia?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:14 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who is sick of Australia?

Originally Posted by renth
Not sure it will but were much better placed to ride it out i.e. it's sunny and I've got a fishing rod. Back in the UK we'd be starving and huddling round a cande for warmth.
Things are not that bad...............yet !!!

Though I must say I am somewhat confused by the people who emigrate then complain about all and sundry and just long to go home.

Why not just return home ?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

TimeForAChange is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I must say I am somewhat confused by the people who emigrate then complain about all and sundry and just long to go home.

Why not just return home ?
The satisfaction gleaned from being in Oz and moaning far outweighs that of staying in the UK in the first place and certainly far outweighs that of being in Oz and not moaning.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
The world is a very big place. Although not sure I could hack California. Oz is pretty Americanised without going the whole hog.

Asia and the Pacific Islands are currently options under consideration.
Ca is an easy option, as both mine and my OH's brothers live in USA, so visas should be no problem. Weather not dissimilar to WA, which is my main reason for moving.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Not sure it will but were much better placed to ride it out i.e. it's sunny and I've got a fishing rod. Back in the UK we'd be starving and huddling round a cande for warmth.
Fortunately our house is not huge and we can heat it from a lighted fart.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:11 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimeForAChange
The satisfaction gleaned from being in Oz and moaning far outweighs that of staying in the UK in the first place and certainly far outweighs that of being in Oz and not moaning.
Would'nt being in Oz and just enjoying Oz for what it is far outweigh moaning about what can't be changed about Oz ? It's called being able to adapt, and this is one of the best qualities of a true expat.

Australia is not Britain, and if it was why would one move there in first place ?

Home is not a country but where your heart belongs, if ones heart is so entrenched in the UK why not just go back ?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Evelin
it was in the news today, 77,000 Aussies left permanently within the less 12 months, highest number ever. Most of them skilled. There is more to the world than sunshine
I think they came to Dubai.....
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Devlin
Having spent significant time in Australia, Europe (incl. UK) and the USA I would have to say Australia and the USA are more similar than any other two countries in my experience. Every time I go back to visit Australia it feels more like America to me.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, it's just a fact.
How come? I've never been to Oz before but will be moving out next year hopefully. Been to American tons of times now (florida, indiana, chicago, california, nevada, arizona) and am interested how they are similar, esp as I love everywhere I have been in the USA!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

I still wake up each morning grateful that we have been given the opportunity to live here in Australia. For us, after living in South Africa and the UK- it ticks 95% of the boxes.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:57 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Hey 24th Nov 07 is the time we arrived in Aussie - awesome! Almost a year ago! I'm STILL unemployed and I don't care! I wake up EVERY morning with a big grin and have loved EVERY single day. I might go back for the 2012 Olympics - it will be interesting to see how London handles the event. Another year to go to citizenship. I LOVE Australia - I NEVER felt this way about the UK!

Hey, NOW you got me thinking

All that fun in the sun, tanned beach babes, surfing, etc etc

AND you are unemployed.

I thought there was a skills shortage in Oz and that you needed skills to get in.

Come on, tell us your secret, how did you get into Oz and how do you retain your positive outlook

You got me thinking that Oz aint so bad after all, we are in NZ and have been considering Oz ( versus the UK) as not settled here., mainly due to weather and prospects.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sick of people being sick of Australia. and the uk.
life is what you make of it, in all but a few cases
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:06 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
I still wake up each morning grateful that we have been given the opportunity to live here in Australia. For us, after living in South Africa and the UK- it ticks 95% of the boxes.
Interesting, as we are ex-SA ( I am originally from UK) and now in NZ for nearly four years and not settled here. We are currently looking at either Oz or UK and there are pros and cons for both.

We have been to Sydney & Melbourne ( mainly on business) and have lots of friends in Brisbane ( most of ex - SAers) and planning to do a look-see this year.

Would you mind me asking a few questions re your Oz experiences ?

Cheers
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:27 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
am interested how they are similar
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280867
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Americanised = like America?

What I meant is that Australia shares alot of similarities with America. That I was quite clear to be honest.

My sis has not since long visited me here, she has lived in america for around 26 years and that is excatly what she said about aus, although, of course , she only seen melbourne as was only here 4 wks, i have visited here in america a few times and i see similarities. I kinda get the impression its trying to get away from GB as much as poss, so taking on a american identity.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, its been done before
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

What do you expect? America's been the dominant global power / economy for decades supporting some of the world's largest companies who have aggressively exported their culture / commodities / phrases wherever they're wanted (or in many cases not).

Look at early developments in Australia when the British Empire was the most powerful in the world: it was heavily influenced by tastes from Europe and, in particular, Britain.

The way things are going now, the all-pervasive influence of the States is likely to recede a little and new ones could take their place. As for Oz, it still has its own character, its own foibles as do the individual states and, in some cases, cities. You just have to look beyond the names of the fast food outlets on the end of your street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.