Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who is sick of Australia?

who is sick of Australia?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future
Default Re: who is sick of Australia?

Thought I'd add my bit as well.
Firstly its quite refreshing to have a thread on this topic that hasn't turned into a slagging match so well done all.

I'm looking to move to OZ in the next year and will give it 3yrs, if its not for me, I'll come home, at least I'll have got it out of my system and tried it. Went down on holiday several yrs ago and since then have always wanted to go back but now too old for holiday visa. Melbourne was my preferred choice as I like sport and wanted to make sure there was plenty to do to help me settle. As it happens, a close friend of mine moved from the UK to Melbourne a couple of yrs ago and will not be returning which gives me confidence that I'll settle into Melbourne life as well. As I'm in my early 30's, single and about to probably get made redundant here in the UK what have I got to lose?

Travelling/exploring has never been easier so seeing Aussie's leaving in record numbers doesn't mean much. I work in a company where I have colleagues from NZ, Australia, USA, Canada, Mexico, France, Spain, Greece, Holland and Norway! You only get one life, and people want to make sure they have lived it.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

koalatea is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bluenose
Thought I'd add my bit as well.
Firstly its quite refreshing to have a thread on this topic that hasn't turned into a slagging match so well done all.

I'm looking to move to OZ in the next year and will give it 3yrs, if its not for me, I'll come home, at least I'll have got it out of my system and tried it. Went down on holiday several yrs ago and since then have always wanted to go back but now too old for holiday visa. Melbourne was my preferred choice as I like sport and wanted to make sure there was plenty to do to help me settle. As it happens, a close friend of mine moved from the UK to Melbourne a couple of yrs ago and will not be returning which gives me confidence that I'll settle into Melbourne life as well. As I'm in my early 30's, single and about to probably get made redundant here in the UK what have I got to lose?

Travelling/exploring has never been easier so seeing Aussie's leaving in record numbers doesn't mean much. I work in a company where I have colleagues from NZ, Australia, USA, Canada, Mexico, France, Spain, Greece, Holland and Norway! You only get one life, and people want to make sure they have lived it.
Good choice. Melbourne's effin' great.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:24 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by koalatea
What do you expect? America's been the dominant global power / economy for decades supporting some of the world's largest companies who have aggressively exported their culture / commodities / phrases wherever they're wanted (or in many cases not).

Look at early developments in Australia when the British Empire was the most powerful in the world: it was heavily influenced by tastes from Europe and, in particular, Britain.

The way things are going now, the all-pervasive influence of the States is likely to recede a little and new ones could take their place. As for Oz, it still has its own character, its own foibles as do the individual states and, in some cases, cities. You just have to look beyond the names of the fast food outlets on the end of your street.

So, what you saying?

You all going to be speaking Chinassie soon (Chinese cross Oz)?

Mind you, the exposure I have had to Aus (mostly business) is that you seem to getting your fair share of Asians there (not a bad thing for me). Could be just to make the Poms feel at home

Sorry, just exercising my SOH as I don’t get that opportunity too much in NZ Must be the French influence
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz

Sorry, just exercising my SOH as I don’t get that opportunity too much in NZ Must be the French influence
I'm leaving Auckland too! Whereabouts are you leaving from and heading to? I can't wait to be able to crack a joke and not look like an idiot cause no-one gets it
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
life is what you make of it, in all but a few cases
I always think that comments like that only come from people who have 'made it' and think that everybody else failed because they didn't work hard enough.... which is utter bullshit. The biggest factor in anybodies life is luck, plain and simple.

If you had been born in a Indian slum just exactly what do you think you would have made of your life?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I always think that comments like that only come from people who have 'made it' and think that everybody else failed because they didn't work hard enough.... which is utter bullshit. The biggest factor in anybodies life is luck, plain and simple.

If you had been born in a Indian slum just exactly what do you think you would have made of your life?
Hmmm. Careful you don't spill your beer - looks like it's half empty already...

Have to disagree - been in Oz seven months.

My wife's been hospitalised with a serious ruptured appendix while in Sydney to meet her sister for a week's trip to Uluru and King's Canyon leading to a tense week in hospital and a lengthy recovery.

Our car was driven into while parked in the middle of the night by a hit and run leaving us to pick up the cost. :curse:

My wife is teaching in a school with kids far worse than any she taught in the UK and has turned down the offer of an extension even though it means we've no guarantee she'll have a job for January. I turned down a good paying job to go freelance and the gamble is yet to pay off.

We missed out on two rental homes we'd set our hearts on by a whisker.

So, is that lucky? I don't know. What I do know is we're having a great time, have made great Aussie mates, are experiencing everything we can and not letting these minor bouts of bad luck get in the way of our adventure. We ended up in a house far better than the ones we missed out on and are looking forward to the future.

"The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

not talking about people from indian slums but people from first world countries with all the advantages coming from that.
also don't believe if you come and go home that this should be termed a failure in any way.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm. Careful you don't spill your beer - looks like it's half empty already...

Have to disagree - been in Oz seven months.

"The harder you work, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.
Wondered who would roll out the Gary Player platitude first...

My point is that the vast majority of people on this planet get a crap deal out of life from the moment of their birth and no amount of 'hard work' for the bulk of them will make any difference to their lives. You, and me, by a sheer accident of our birthplace started out in life with a huge advantage over 90% of the people alive.

...and my beer is fine thanks. Its currently stored in a fridge that cost me the equivalent of four years average salary for a large percentage of people on earth... do I feel lucky... bloody right I do.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

That's better.

But if you really felt that bad about your advantages, you'd surely pack it all in and go and fight on the frontlines in Darfur or volunteer in the wilds of Northern Peru. So would I, but while I care, I've chosen not to and instead to try and live a good life.

So let's enjoy it

(PS Hope your beer's not a Carlton Draught. In that case, I'd advise spilling it quick smart...)

(PPS Coming soon - more platitudes from the likes of Thumper)
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
not talking about people from indian slums but people from first world countries with all the advantages coming from that.
also don't believe if you come and go home that this should be termed a failure in any way.
Even all coming from the First World assumes that we all started out on a level playing field... which we obvioulsy don't. I was born in an East Manchester slum. Did that mean I started out from the same point as somebody born in, lets say Ascot?. Obviously not.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;6861239]Wondered who would roll out the Gary Player platitude first...

not so much a platitude, more a factual statement
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Even all coming from the First World assumes that we all started out on a level playing field... which we obvioulsy don't. I was born in an East Manchester slum. Did that mean I started out from the same point as somebody born in, lets say Ascot?. Obviously not.
Tameside?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:04 am
Account Closed

That's better.

But if you really felt that bad about your advantages, you'd surely pack it all in and go and fight on the frontlines in Darfur or volunteer in the wilds of Northern Peru. So would I, but while I care, I've chosen not to and instead to try and live a good life.

So let's enjoy it

(PS Hope your beer's not a Carlton Draught. In that case, I'd advise spilling it quick smart...)

(PPS Coming soon - more platitudes from the likes of Thumper)
I never for one second said I feel 'bad' about my advantages. I'm just making the point that luck plays a huge part in peoples lives and that the idea that people who are not 'sucessful' have only themselves to blame for not working hard enough is just nonsense.
Account Closed

Tameside?
Pretty damn close... Ancoats and Beswick
Account Closed

I tend to not be concerned about people who have had a more fortunate start in life. that, as you state, is a quirk of fate.
this does not define you, and your situation however

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.