Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Originally Posted by michelleh
Hi....Myself, hubby and two boys left England 30/03/09...we to could not sell our house after 14 months on the market...we had to enter Australia to get our visa's stamped so decided to change our mortgage to interest only (to make it more doable should the house have no tenants at any time). We are now after many tears returning to the UK. We reduced our property by 20 thousand before we came out trying to sell...this did'nt work.... we are living in South east queensland and average property prices are 6 to 7 times annual wage!! ... our estate agent back in england has just e-mailed to say things are even worse and our house has been de-valued again.... we simply cannot afford to stay...my husband is woking full time earning $72,000 and I am part time earning $15,000...we would struggle like mad to be able to live...we have approached both banks and financial advisors here and we would need to save a 20% deposit to even get on the housing market so on a $400,000 dollar house (which is the lower end of the scale and certainly not what you see on A life down under) we would need at leat $40,000 ...in the meantime house prices are just increasing, whilst UK is decreasing... we feel we have had our minds made up for us by circumstance, we absolutely love the area, are not homesick, have settled in with friends and jobs ...but the simple truth is we cannot afford to stay.
What Part of UK ? Here in south west newbury property is going up infact up to the same level as before reccession. House near me sold a few days ago with no sell board out side sold in 5 weeks (3 bed £249,000) & these are ex council houses.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:25 am
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Wow - must be the good old North/South divide again!! In my town house prices are still in the boots - 3 bed detached going for 150k! and still they are not selling
I think I might raffle mine.........!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

House around the corner from us recently for for £400k.

Prices in Surrey are certainly not dropping like stones.

Hopefully ours will sell soon.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:30 am
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michelleh
We are now after many tears returning to the UK.
Hi Michelle,
So sorry to hear you are having such an awful time - this housing market is truly a nightmare! But thanks so much for sharing your story with us - being in a posistion in the UK where I am so tempted to leave house unsold, your tale gives me a word of caution!
Good luck with everything and hope you find a way (or a buyer) to resolve your dilemma.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rahrah
Wow - must be the good old North/South divide again!! In my town house prices are still in the boots - 3 bed detached going for 150k! and still they are not selling
I think I might raffle mine.........!
Ours is in the north, 3 Bed Semi for £345,000 now we have reduced it to £320,000 and no viewers since we reduced, we had loads before.
Yes we thought of raffling, £100 per ticket, but then I read all the horror stories. We are at a loss on what to do now as we cannot go any lower as we need the equity (the bit that is left).
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:26 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
Ours is in the north, 3 Bed Semi for £345,000 now we have reduced it to £320,000 and no viewers since we reduced, we had loads before.
Yes we thought of raffling, £100 per ticket, but then I read all the horror stories. We are at a loss on what to do now as we cannot go any lower as we need the equity (the bit that is left).
We are in the north too, a four bed detached bungalow for £275,000. We haven't had a viewing for several months now and the EA is wanting us to reduce. We are holding off doing this for now, several properties around us have reduced and have still not sold.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Where in Doncaster are you from? I used to live there
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:57 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
Where in Doncaster are you from? I used to live there
Sprotbrough, whereabouts did you live?
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Armthorpe, my parents still live there, but I only manage to visit 1 or 2 times a year now
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add some balance, its not all grim up North. Ours (about halfway between Newcastle and Carlisle) sold to the first couple who viewed it for £400k+ we completed within 10 weeks of going on the market.

We're now happily renting in Sydney, if you ever saw a market primed to crash, its this one!

IMHO
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

hi michelleh

surely you could carry on renting? You don't have to buy surely. Those are good wages and you should think before throwing it all in

Rent your UK home out and wait for it to sell and then buy in Oz, Seems such a waste to give it all up.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:53 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

My parents "buyer" is turning out to be a pain in the arse.

- First wanted 20k off and they wanted a really quick completion and literally 6 hours to agree to their offer - this was back in Jan!

-Then 4 weeks later they pulled out saying that their buyer had pulled - ok fine move on

-Then about 6 weeks later they came back saying could they have it again.

-Then about 3 weeks ago wanted a whole load of things included in the sale when the chattels list came out.

-Then 2 weeks ago sent their father round who "happens" to be a building surveyor who said that a couple of the facia boards are rotten - but we have never noticed!

-Now they want to the facia boards replaced - they said they will go halves

And we havent even exchanged.

I am so close to loosing it (for my parents behalf!) The want to be out here in August - their first grandchild is due in Sep! Now with all these delays they arent sure.

And its just one issue after another with this lot. As you all know moving is stressful, trying to coordinate a piss-farting around buyer at the same time is not helpful!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
My parents "buyer" is turning out to be a pain in the arse.

- First wanted 20k off and they wanted a really quick completion and literally 6 hours to agree to their offer - this was back in Jan!

-Then 4 weeks later they pulled out saying that their buyer had pulled - ok fine move on

-Then about 6 weeks later they came back saying could they have it again.

-Then about 3 weeks ago wanted a whole load of things included in the sale when the chattels list came out.

-Then 2 weeks ago sent their father round who "happens" to be a building surveyor who said that a couple of the facia boards are rotten - but we have never noticed!

-Now they want to the facia boards replaced - they said they will go halves

And we havent even exchanged.

I am so close to loosing it (for my parents behalf!) The want to be out here in August - their first grandchild is due in Sep! Now with all these delays they arent sure.

And its just one issue after another with this lot. As you all know moving is stressful, trying to coordinate a piss-farting around buyer at the same time is not helpful!
Often in negotiations like this if you give an inch, you're expected to give a foot, then a yard. When my mum sold, a few days before exchange the buyer wanted to drop the price by a few grand. I told the E/A to refuse and re-advertise the house, they exchanged at the agreed price on time, that was in a stronger market though, still stressed my 80 year old mum out.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:57 am
Just Joined

michelleh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rahrah
Hi Michelle,
So sorry to hear you are having such an awful time - this housing market is truly a nightmare! But thanks so much for sharing your story with us - being in a posistion in the UK where I am so tempted to leave house unsold, your tale gives me a word of caution!
Good luck with everything and hope you find a way (or a buyer) to resolve your dilemma.
Hi, thanks so much for your reply.... the only reason I posted (1st post) was agzacally to give a word of caution... we too before we came out could think of nothing else..we had put so much into it that no matter what anybody told us we just felt we owed it to ourselves to give it a go (although alarm bells were ringing with not being able to sell the house even at a reduced price)... saying that we are still glad we did come out here because we had to know in our hearts and minds!! that it was doable or not... I guess it all depends how much money you will bring over...we basically arrived with $20,000 which got us a car,furniture etc. We have been renting at $4oo a week for a basic 4 bed to try and put as much money aside as possible.... For your interest use www.realestate.com.au as a rental/buying search, this site has all the estate agents in Australia on and you can search all states and areas...also use www.aussiehomeloans.com.au as you can use the calculators to estimate how much you can borrow and the repayments (but dont forget you will need at least a 20% deposit to buy) you alos need to pay a bond on rental which is normally 4weeks rent, this is shown on the site though...will just give you a bit more information which will hopefully prove poitive for you ...we actually have rented our house out back in UK , we used our estate agent who tried to sell for us, we just have to pay them 10% of the monthly rental...this has proved very worthwhile as we had problems with electrical wiring when we first arrived and it was such peace of mind having the estate agent do all the leg work and just let us know how much it was going to cost!!... well I sincerely hope things work out for you..if you have any questions please do not hesitate and I will do my best to answer them for you
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

carolinehumbugs is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Originally Posted by mobilephone
Not been on for ages sorry but so fustrated as just can't sell house.

Just fell so down at the moment and I am trying so hard not to.

Can't afford to go without selling house and can't rent as need the money.

We have reduced it 2 times and can't afford to go any lower.

Sometimes it helps to chat to people who are in the same situation.

julie
Hi Julie had the same with are sale took 8 month and was pulling my hair out
keep it together it will happen we reduce are house 3 times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.