Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Why? Great time to buy of you can?
There is nothing to stop them is they can.
Well think about it

You move to a new market and purchase without investigating or researching the best option

It take a few weeks to get a good understanding of the city. Only a moron would walk off a plane and purchase in a few days.

Of the A properties available they are still going like hotcakes, the B properties not so much, C properties are just sitting.

So how does the OP know which is a A, B or C property.

How much do they think they should pay?, What appears a bargain could still have more room to move and thus they could pay higher than market.

I went to view 2 A properties yesterday and it was absolutely flooded with prospective buyers. I went away thinking shit this house is dirt cheap and thoughts of underquoting by agents. So i can see the market pricing has startied to finally move - but you are still going to be battling with a number of buyers.

Because I know the worth to us for that property I am prepared to place a offer 35% above asking. Would the OP?
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Originally Posted by astera
Thinking of returning to Australia after many, many years, but I'm split between living in Sydney which is where all of my family is from, and trying something new now that my job is mainly done via the internet.

To be honest I haven't travelled much in Australia apart from Sydney and Canberra, so I don't have much to go on. But it's basically for me, my wife and kids, so nothing too remote or far away from civilisation.

I was thinking either Queensland or really taking the plunge and giving Darwin a try. Any thoughts?
Thought of trying down the coast from Sydney?

The Illawarra, particularly the coastal strip, takes some beating and you would only be a couple of hours from your family.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Note to self.

Check out how old the thread is before offering suggestions.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Note to self.

Check out how old the thread is before offering suggestions.

It is pretty old.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:18 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Cronulla as it's quite laid back, out of the way, yet still accessible via a direct rail link that takes you to the city in just under an hour.

I am curious though how people would compare Sydney in general to Brisbane. My parents went to Brissy recently and really liked it. They were only there for a short stay though, so not sure that they were able to get a true picture of the city.

Has anyone lived/spend considerable time in both places?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point

Country Queensland, specifically the Scenic Rim has a life style that Grand Designs would wax lyrical about. Schools with polite children are a bonus and parents or retirees can integrate very easily into the local scene. Add low prices, large blocks and a moderate semi-tropical climate and you may be tempted. I was 9 years ago and don't regret it for a minute
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:46 am
Just Joined

dgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant future

Admittedly, I just drove through them. But I liked the NSW towns of Kiama (beach), Bowral and Mudgee. Suburban Canberra, too.

Surfers might have been OK in the 80s. I went there a few years ago for the first time since then and was appalled.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:48 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malcontent
Country Queensland, specifically the Scenic Rim has a life style that Grand Designs would wax lyrical about.
In Australia I can only imagine living within close vicinity to a good beach. Just a personal affinity of mine.

Originally Posted by dgdevil
Admittedly, I just drove through them. But I liked the NSW towns of Kiama (beach), Bowral and Mudgee. Suburban Canberra, too.

Surfers might have been OK in the 80s. I went there a few years ago for the first time since then and was appalled.
For me it's either Cronulla if I'm to stay in NSW or somewhere on the Queensland coast if I'm to head elsewhere.

What's up with Surfers nowadays? Too much loud partying or more serious problems like crime?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:01 am
Just Joined

dgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant future

Boom, bust? When I was first there in the 80s, it was very Japanese. Maybe they stopped coming when the Japanese bubble popped, then went elsewhere (Hawaii, NZ?) and no one filled the gap.

Or maybe it was always tacky and I didn't have an appropriate yardstick until I got older and traveled the world. I also missed the omnipresent Mr. Fourex signs and the XXXX Bitter Ale on my last visit there in 2008.

But the schoolies, toolies and droolies seem to like it!

Cronulla sounds good. BTW, it's impossible to overstate the cost of living in OZ, though I'm sure that's a subject that's been done to death here.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgdevil
Boom, bust? When I was first there in the 80s, it was very Japanese. Maybe they stopped coming when the Japanese bubble popped, then went elsewhere (Hawaii, NZ?) and no one filled the gap.

Or maybe it was always tacky and I didn't have an appropriate yardstick until I got older and traveled the world. I also missed the omnipresent Mr. Fourex signs and the XXXX Bitter Ale on my last visit there in 2008.

But the schoolies, toolies and droolies seem to like it!

Cronulla sounds good. BTW, it's impossible to overstate the cost of living in OZ, though I'm sure that's a subject that's been done to death here.

I wouldn't say it's bust, more like the average Aussie became as wealthy as any overseas tourist and claimed it back.... Turning Surfers into some kind of antipodean Benidorm in the process... basically exclusively for locals primarily, as relatively less wealthy overseas tourists can no longer afford it.

There's an upside to expensive Australia that people seem to be overlooking... Thats some of the highest average incomes in the world.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There's an upside to expensive Australia that people seem to be overlooking... Thats some of the highest average incomes in the world.
Not many places in the world where a barman can make $40 an hour
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I really like Cronulla as it's quite laid back, out of the way, yet still accessible via a direct rail link that takes you to the city in just under an hour.

I am curious though how people would compare Sydney in general to Brisbane. My parents went to Brissy recently and really liked it. They were only there for a short stay though, so not sure that they were able to get a true picture of the city.

Has anyone lived/spend considerable time in both places?
I like Cronulla too. Just don't do commuting. Can't do it. In fact refuse.

Not sure how to compare the Syd Bris thing, but if BE is anything to go by, there's a lot of complainers in Brisbane.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not many places in the world where a barman can make $40 an hour
Or where the absolute minimum FT adult wage is 16.40 per hour... more than double the US and 45 pct extra than the UK. 20 bucks per hour plus if your a casual adult worker.

This is the main reason Aus is so expensive.... decent wages for 'all' of its workers.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Or where the absolute minimum FT adult wage is 16.40 per hour... more than double the US and 45 pct extra than the UK. 20 bucks per hour plus if your a casual adult worker.

This is the main reason Aus is so expensive.... decent wages for 'all' of its workers.
The highest minimum wage in the world:
http://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DatasetCode=RHMW#
Old Jan 7th 2014, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To be honest, I'd prefer they lower the minimum wage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.