Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:32 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Originally Posted by spottydog
Exactly where I live now (Balmain), although if I won the lotto I may upgrade to a waterfront property with space for a boat
Love Balmain... has a fab vibe about the place!

I reckon if you want to have change that's not such a shock then Sydney really is the only place particularly if the kids are used to Singers lifestyle too.

Northern Beaches.. plenty of cafes, shops restaurants... everything carries on into the evening. Not as warm as Brissy, but I wouldn't life in Surfers either.... Blackpool with sunshine!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Is it the "drain" smell that NB's hubby is referring to? Very common in KL and even in Singapore. I think because of all the rain they get they have to have very big drains to cope and then they have large grids over them. Every now and again you'll be having a pleasant walk and phew, the drain smell!

KL is a great place, on one hand ultra modern and then you go around the corner and you've gone back a 100 years! Crazy, chaotic place and very different to Singapore with it's muslim influences in the architecture etc.

The only sad thing I've heard recently from a Singapore chum is that handbag snatching, pickpocketing etc is on the increase. When we first went there years ago the taxi driver told us that there were even high penalties for stealing from a tourist, shame as I always used to feel quite relaxed about walking around KL but would be on my guard now.

If you get the chance to go NB then do so, great shopping!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Vaucluse for me.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I can only comment on what he says. He says it smells. He works opposite the golf course and lives in an apartment building opposite KLCC and he still says it smells. He says he sees dead dogs and cats in the street as he walks to work. I can't imagine he would make that up. He says the nightlife is good and the shopping is good but as a family man he wouldn't want his wife and kids to live there.

As you say it is his first time anywhere in Asia so i can understand he could be taken aback a little at the smell/seeming poverty.. even tho Malaysia and especially KL would be considered pretty high standards by comparison to most Asian cities.

As for not wanting you to live there, KL would be considered a pretty good gig for most expats, also those wanting to take family along. Great International schools, Good Medical facilities, you could have a maid to take care of the cleaning and cooking, English is virtually the national language. All in all you could have a very nice relaxing life for a few years and would be a great place for the kids to experience.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by papilon
As you say it is his first time anywhere in Asia so i can understand he could be taken aback a little at the smell/seeming poverty.. even tho Malaysia and especially KL would be considered pretty high standards by comparison to most Asian cities.

As for not wanting you to live there, KL would be considered a pretty good gig for most expats, also those wanting to take family along. Great International schools, Good Medical facilities, you could have a maid to take care of the cleaning and cooking, English is virtually the national language. All in all you could have a very nice relaxing life for a few years and would be a great place for the kids to experience.

Hear hear. As for drain smells, you can cop your share of those taking a summer stroll through any medieval town centre in Europe or the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Originally Posted by astera
Adelaide hills. Houghton for preference, but you could twist my arm and get me into Stirling, Aldgate, Bridgewater or Mt Torrens.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon

He will see out the duration of his contract but we won't be visiting anywhere else (apart from Singapore for the F1 GP) in Asia. Open drains and dead animals in the street are not my cup of tea I am afraid. I will stick to my boring camping holidays in Australia.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to KL every 2 weeks for work, when we lived in Singapore.

One day a vagrant died across the road from our office. The body was left, next to an open air cafe, where people continued to eat, and a bus stop, from 12.30pm until 9.30pm on a really hot day, because the various authorities couldn't agree who should transport it. They did, however, cover it with newspaper around 7.30pm.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Well at least they covered it with newspaper. That was the responsible thing to do.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

chase74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to be Noosa !
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
He will see out the duration of his contract but we won't be visiting anywhere else (apart from Singapore for the F1 GP) in Asia.
Nice to see you embracing The Asian Century
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:52 am
Banned

kriskana is an unknown quantity at this point

goldie gold gold coast is good..

i m happy here.. very relaxing laid back life..
Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Butterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to allButterfly Bokeh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by astera
Sydney is as far south as I'm willing to go, so Melbourne isn't on the radar.

I've been giving a number of other countries a look, Bournemouth and Poole in the UK are always going to be high up on my list. Checked out Vancouver, Canada, and although it's nice it just isn't up my alley as a place to live. Too bland, not a happenin' place at all for a city of that size.

Apart from Singapore I'm not sure I'd want to settle anywhere else in the region like Indonesia or Malaysia. If I was single I'd already be at the Hard Rock Hotel in Bali on a special long-stay rate, but with the family it's either staying in Singapore or moving to Australia.

We're keen on giving Australia a go with the kids, just not sure if I should stick to Sydney or be a bit more adventurous and head up north or north-west.
I've found neither Bournemouth or Poole to be that lively we have family down that way so have spent a bit of time there... unless when we go they back up all the excitement ?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Malcontent is an unknown quantity at this point

if you seriously like beautiful country and friendly people then Boonah in the Scenic Rim of SE Queensland ticks all the boxes. Check out the Tourism website to get a feel of the place,www.scenicrimtourism.org.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.