Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connection?

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Metung or Paynesville, VIC for summer

Then somewhere up north for winter
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Australia would you live if your job only required an internet connectio

Originally Posted by papilon
I used to tell the wife that when i was working in Asia
No seriously, he is enjoying some parts of it. The nightlife is good and so is the shopping but he isn't enjoying the smell or the filth. He was quite surprised to be honest as he hasn't ever visited any part of Asia before, perhaps that is just how it is.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Byron Bay would have to high on the list for me - great climate as far as I'm concerned and beautiful and green. Not far from a big city. The upper northern beaches of Sydney would be great if money's not a problem. If you're used to Singapore's climate then the stretch of coast between Cairns and Port Douglas would be well worth considering. Port Stephens of Lake Macquarie would also be options.

Elsewhere in the world, the southern half of France is appealing. Nelson on the northern tip of the South Island is lovely - think snow-capped mountains, sparkling sea, mild sunny climate and world-class vineyards. Montreal Canada would also be on my list, provided I escaped the winters for a couple of weeks - great cultural city, bilingual, close to Europe and the U.S.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Took me a hell of a while to figure out this answer. North shore Sydney...or somewhere on the Harbour with a view of the Sydney Skyline.. Very difficult for a Melbourne aficionado to admit to that one.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Husband currently doing a 12 month contract in KL and can't wait to get back to Australia. Dirty, smelly, backward and many more expletives I can't print here. Even makes London look good, his words not mine.
Been going to KL for over thirty years and if anything these days it is a rather an advanced city. In terms of designer shopping for example Perth wouldn't even begin to get a look in.
Rather ultra modern in the centre. Folk well dressed etc, saying that traffic is bad and pollution is certainly a issue. But dirty and smelly, that's news to be unless I guess outside in a real poor area....Certainly not backward saying that and living in Perth.....
Perhaps he's just saying that while having a ball.Just he mention the girls uo there are stupendous and friendly as well?

Last edited by the troubadour; Mar 22nd 2012 at 12:34 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Denmark WA
Great place and coastline. Albany if you wish for something a little bigger or even perhaps Augusta, though not as familar with there.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

MissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really niceMissingOZ is just really nice

North of Brisbane for me.....30-45mins North. Up near Caloundra way. Quiet and scenic with loads to do and ideally located within commute to Brisbane. Beaches are amazing with Noosa and surounding towns not too far away either.

Byron bay too. Cool skydive centre and scuba diving of Julian Rocks....bliss.

Banff in Alberta.......Rockies & Lake Louis skiing. Bliss

Last edited by MissingOZ; Mar 22nd 2012 at 12:45 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Saying that though if location was not an issue I'm not sure I would pick a full time location but move among several of my favourite locations and use that to finally decide a place.
Southern France not too far from Spainish border
Brittany Fra
Malta
Nortern Portugal
Co Galway Rep Of Ire
A few locations in The Cape. RSA
Various locations in Germany
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:52 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Been going to KL for over thirty years and if anything these days it is a rather an advanced city. In terms of designer shopping for example Perth wouldn't even begin to get a look in.
Rather ultra modern in the centre. Folk well dressed etc, saying that traffic is bad and pollution is certainly a issue. But dirty and smelly, that's news to be unless I guess outside in a real poor area....Certainly not backward saying that and living in Perth.....
Perhaps he's just saying that while having a ball.Just he mention the girls uo there are stupendous and friendly as well?
I can only comment on what he says. He says it smells. He works opposite the golf course and lives in an apartment building opposite KLCC and he still says it smells. He says he sees dead dogs and cats in the street as he walks to work. I can't imagine he would make that up. He says the nightlife is good and the shopping is good but as a family man he wouldn't want his wife and kids to live there.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can only comment on what he says. He says it smells. He works opposite the golf course and lives in an apartment building opposite KLCC and he still says it smells. He says he sees dead dogs and cats in the street as he walks to work. I can't imagine he would make that up. He says the nightlife is good and the shopping is good but as a family man he wouldn't want his wife and kids to live there.
Obviusly I can't speak for the area he lives in but KL was voted regularly as one of the top relocation destinations in the Asian region
There are some great areas with many foreign ex pats living in luxary,good international schools, friendly locals, and generally an interesting and very diverse country.
At the end of the day KL is another big city though. Hot and humid is not everyones idea of fun.
Asia is not for everyone but it does tend to grow on one.

Oh, I did I mention the girls are none to bad either.....
Seriously if you get the chance it could be worth a visit and tour some of the country.Malaysia has become a rather increasingly popular country for Brits and Aussies to retire in. More Penang though.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:10 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Obviusly I can't speak for the area he lives in but KL was voted regularly as one of the top relocation destinations in the Asian region
There are some great areas with many foreign ex pats living in luxary,good international schools, friendly locals, and generally an interesting and very diverse country.
At the end of the day KL is another big city though. Hot and humid is not everyones idea of fun.

Seriously if you get the chance it could be worth a visit and tour some of the country.Malaysia has become a rather increasingly popular country for Brits and Aussies to retire in. More Penang though.
Borneo blew me away when we went last year. Living in a jungle house would be wonderful and the supermarkets, medical services, transport seemed perfectly adequate. It's too hot but so is much of Oz and at a snip of the cost of living could be ideal. Much better diving too IMO. Certainly didn't notice much of a smell!

I agree with you on bits of SA. A beachside house near Simon's Town or Cape Aguhlus.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

He is off to the F1 this weekend and then off on a long weekend in Penang the last weekend of March. He still thinks KL smells and says that he doesn't think me or the kids will enjoy it. We are off to Singapore for the F1 night race, friends tell me Singapore is much cleaner than KL.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Borneo blew me away when we went last year. Living in a jungle house would be wonderful and the supermarkets, medical services, transport seemed perfectly adequate. It's too hot but so is much of Oz and at a snip of the cost of living could be ideal. Much better diving too IMO. Certainly didn't notice much of a smell!

I agree with you on bits of SA. A beachside house near Simon's Town or Cape Aguhlus.
I have not been to the Malaysian states of Sabah or Sarawak as of yet. Do need to correct that as have heard so many positive reports.
With regards to smell it reminded me when I lived in Melaka many moons ago, and a couple never out of Oz before visited and the female part of the equation claimed to be close to vomiting due to the odours constantly offending her sensibilities every time she ventured street level. I put it down to a form of cultural shock as her partner was in no way affected.
These days wealthy countries like Malaysia are far more sanitised. Kl is downtown more modern than Australian cities and far more vibe.

I'm a great fan of The Cape and environs. Love CapeTown a 'jol'city. Favourite white wine, 'steen' from around Constantia great area as well as the West Coast, Swartland etc. Paarl is magic...
Cape Agulhas doesn't really have a lot apart from looking at the elements and lighthouse..or did I miss something?
Simon's Town not bad.Especially nice if into penguins.....
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He is off to the F1 this weekend and then off on a long weekend in Penang the last weekend of March. He still thinks KL smells and says that he doesn't think me or the kids will enjoy it. We are off to Singapore for the F1 night race, friends tell me Singapore is much cleaner than KL.
Everywhere is likely to be less clean than Singapore. I for one couldn't wait to return to Malaysia after spells in ultra hygenic Singapore.
These days I don't mind it but for someone who can recall Boogie Street(long gone) to mystic of the Orient barely exists in Singapore.
But true it is sanitised to a greater degree than KL.
Not sure why not do both? You can catch a taxi up from the Lion City perhaps even with a night stop over in historic Melaka, then taxi next day on to KL.'
KL is very far from a third world city in any traditional sense of the word.
Never detected any odour of any sort. Perhaps many decades ago when they had open drains that used to flood during the monsoon.....
Be interesting to read his view on GeorgeTown, Penang. That is like chalk and cheese trying to compare with KL. Just isn't possible.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Everywhere is likely to be less clean than Singapore. I for one couldn't wait to return to Malaysia after spells in ultra hygenic Singapore.
These days I don't mind it but for someone who can recall Boogie Street(long gone) to mystic of the Orient barely exists in Singapore.
But true it is sanitised to a greater degree than KL.
Not sure why not do both? You can catch a taxi up from the Lion City perhaps even with a night stop over in historic Melaka, then taxi next day on to KL.'
KL is very far from a third world city in any traditional sense of the word.
Never detected any odour of any sort. Perhaps many decades ago when they had open drains that used to flood during the monsoon.....
Be interesting to read his view on GeorgeTown, Penang. That is like chalk and cheese trying to compare with KL. Just isn't possible.
My husband tells me they still have open drains that flood, he was knee deep in shit just a week ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.