Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats with the obsession with making friends

Whats with the obsession with making friends

Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats with the obsession with making friends

Originally Posted by Zambia
The best night have always sprung up on me... When you leaving work on say to the bloke beside you ..Do you fancy a quick pint?

Other bloke : Ok but just the one like...
Lol. Also with meets - when you have been here 6 years do you really want to dicuss Uk Tv, confectionary, suburbs, house-builds - every time you meet up!? Where do you start -'Hi I am Badge, and I don't miss Tesco'..silence.... Again - OK for those people you actually meet properly.

I wouldn't want to do that ad nauseum for the entire time I was living here which could be a very long time!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Dills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Lol. Also with meets - when you have been here 6 years do you really want to dicuss Uk Tv, confectionary, suburbs, house-builds - every time you meet up!? Where do you start -'Hi I am Badge, and I don't miss Tesco'..silence.... Again - OK for those people you actually meet properly.

I wouldn't want to do that ad nauseum for the entire time I was living here which could be a very long time!
Yes I agree, and Im still in the UK, however European holidays are the same, the meet and greet are so bloody boring, why on earth do people go abroad to meet people back home, I want to experience the culture of another country, not spend the first hour talking about where the best British cafe is or pub for that matter LOL

Claire x
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I have met 2 people at meets who have gone on to become close friends. I don't think I've ever discussed UKTV, confectionary, suburbs or house builds with either of them. We talk about our children, our husbands, our jobs, our joys and sorrows. We talk about our problems together like friends do.

I used to organise meets because I know what it's like to be someplace and feel lonely and really just want to meet someone whose circumstances are similar to yours. I stopped because it became more of a chore than anything with some people bitching and moaning about everything from where they were held to the fact that it happened to rain on one of the days. Like I can predict 6 weeks ahead of time that it's going to rain.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Like I can predict 6 weeks ahead of time that it's going to rain.
You mean you can't? But, but, but I thought you could do everything! I'm crushed!

Meets are a life saver to many many people and great fun for others, judging by the number of people who turn up to the mega events generally set up by our little scottish bald friend over here. My idea of hell though but I'd never knock them because I don't like them. Used to go to some excellent ones in the UK, loved them, just don't like the ones here - another one of my weird quirks I guess
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You mean you can't? But, but, but I thought you could do everything! I'm crushed!

Meets are a life saver to many many people and great fun for others, judging by the number of people who turn up to the mega events generally set up by our little scottish bald friend over here. My idea of hell though but I'd never knock them because I don't like them. Used to go to some excellent ones in the UK, loved them, just don't like the ones here - another one of my weird quirks I guess
If I were ever to go to your side of the island it would be to attend one of the little scottish bald guy's meets. I've heard they're great fun and it would be worth the cost of airfare just to meet some of my cyber friends in real life. So long as I can be guaranteed that there wouldn't be rain at least 6 weeks in advance you understand.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If I were ever to go to your side of the island it would be to attend one of the little scottish bald guy's meets. I've heard they're great fun and it would be worth the cost of airfare just to meet some of my cyber friends in real life. So long as I can be guaranteed that there wouldn't be rain at least 6 weeks in advance you understand.
Come in winter then for the Christmas in July bash. I'll put you up, I won't come with you but I'll be your taxi if you like Oh hang on you'll be in England - it'll be raining there then
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:33 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Come in winter then for the Christmas in July bash. I'll put you up, I won't come with you but I'll be your taxi if you like Oh hang on you'll be in England - it'll be raining there then
Would love to for Christmas in July, but like you said I'll be travelling until the 19th July then I have a conference in Adelaide in August. It's going to be kind of hard to convince the OH that I need to go to Qld as soon as I get back from my trip. Maybe next year.