British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Whats with the obsession with making friends (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-obsession-making-friends-655685/)

emelems Feb 20th 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Whats with the obsession with making friends

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8361133)
Oh, I can forgive. But I don't forget.

I'm like that - but I have now worked out that if I am not forgetting the issue, then I am probably not forgiving it either ;)

Em x

Dorothy Feb 20th 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8361138)
I'm like that - but I have now worked out that if I am not forgetting the issue, then I am probably not forgiving it either ;)

Em x

I don't think I've explained it very well. I know we all make mistakes and if someone does something unintentionally then I can forgive it. That doesn't mean I have to forget what they've done, though.

paulry Feb 20th 2010 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8361150)
I don't think I've explained it very well. I know we all make mistakes and if someone does something unintentionally then I can forgive it. That doesn't mean I have to forget what they've done, though.

Unintentional or fickle-minded let downs are different. I forgive those easily and budget for re-occurences of the same. :)

emelems Feb 20th 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8361150)

You've hit the nail on the head there... when I think about forgive but don't forget, I always have questioned whether or not I am actually forgiving? But I do think that you are right. It does not suit my mind-set to simply forget.. afterall, the action/deed was still done in the first place.

One of my mottos is, you get me once, you won't get me twice! ;)

Em x

moneypenny20 Feb 21st 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8361269)
You've hit the nail on the head there... when I think about forgive but don't forget, I always have questioned whether or not I am actually forgiving? But I do think that you are right. It does not suit my mind-set to simply forget.. afterall, the action/deed was still done in the first place.

One of my mottos is, you get me once, you won't get me twice! ;)

Em x

I think it's impossible to forget. Our brains are not made like that, we're programmed to retain stuff whether good or bad. Sure I can forgive but I have a memory like an elephant and don't forget.

paulry Feb 21st 2010 6:42 am

Sometimes I wish if I could forget :unsure:

moneypenny20 Feb 21st 2010 7:05 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8361848)

What?

paulry Feb 21st 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8361890)
What?

Some of the worse past betrayals and let downs from friends. Not that I'm bitter, it would just be great to be able to reset those parts memory :lol:. Thankfully the bad memories are relatively few.

Sally Simpson Feb 21st 2010 7:35 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8361848)

Very large quantities of alcohol usually do the trick!:unsure:

paulry Feb 21st 2010 7:39 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 8361945)
Very large quantities of alcohol usually do the trick!:unsure:

Good idea! :beer:

moneypenny20 Feb 21st 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8361938)
Some of the worse past betrayals and let downs from friends. Not that I'm bitter, it would just be great to be able to reset those parts memory :lol:. Thankfully the bad memories are relatively few.

See, you're plain useless. You were supposed to say 'Can't remember'. :lol:

kporte Feb 21st 2010 8:46 am

If it wasn't for my friends on here and at home over the last 3 months, I have my doubts I'd still be here. I would say friends are important.

paulry Feb 21st 2010 9:17 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8362042)
If it wasn't for my friends on here and at home over the last 3 months, I have my doubts I'd still be here. I would say friends are important.

Thank goodness we have friends :cool:

PS: It's great to see that you're getting back on form again

BadgeIsBack Feb 21st 2010 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8359680)
I'm a lot like Moneypen. I don't need loads of friends, but do enjoy spending time with the couple of good friends I have. Strangely, I used to organise meets here in Perth every 8 weeks until I got fed up with the complaining of a bunch of people who couldn't be arsed to do it themselves. It was at one of the meets that I met one of my favourite friends - true friend, not just a mate.

I've never been sure of the wisdom of Expats meets. Been to a few in the very early days. Not a big fan of them to be honest.

I can't see why you might have something in common with someone just because you moved to another country from the same!

Nothing wrong with them - just not a big fan - especially the ones that are organised. Don't mind the low-key ones.

Zambia Feb 21st 2010 9:48 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8362131)
I've never been sure of the wisdom of Expats meets. Been to a few in the very early days. Not a big fan of them to be honest.

I can't see why you might have something in common with someone just because you moved to another country from the same!

Nothing wrong with them - just not a big fan - especially the ones that are organised. Don't mind the low-key ones.

The best night have always sprung up on me... When you leaving work on say to the bloke beside you ..Do you fancy a quick pint?

Other bloke : Ok but just the one like...