British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Whats with the obsession with making friends (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whats-obsession-making-friends-655685/)

MrsE Feb 20th 2010 6:49 am

Re: Whats with the obsession with making friends

Originally Posted by Dills (Post 8358491)
I am totally addicted to this forum, and been reading an awful lot over the weekend. What is standing out is peoples obsession with making friends when they arrive in Australia. I am currently in the UK and have very few friends through choice. I have my work and my four kids, my mum lives an hour away and my sister 5 minutes around the corner, probably see her once a month.

Making friends would be way down on my list of priorities, more important for my kids to make friends etc. My only worry if I ever did emigrate is having nobody to meet me at the airport, but I am a fly by the seat of your pants kind of woman, so would just get a taxi to the rental or something.

Claire x

Hi Claire

I'm guessing it must be a pretty wierd feeling to arrive in a country where you don't know anybody at all and have no family to rely on either. Alongside that being in unfamiliar surroundings, albeit gorgeous, must seem very bizarre :eek: I must admit that it is the whole friend thing that bothers me about emigrating. (not that I would let it stop me) I love my friends and have lots, ranging from those I have had for the past 36 years from Mums at my children's school who I have known for only around 4 years but all of which form an important part of my life. I do not have a close family (as the saying goes...You can choose your friends but you can't choose your family :eek: :eek: so this may be a factor. But saying this we are all different and all have different needs in life but so long as we are all happy that is what is important. :thumbsup: I would definitely look forward to making new friends in Oz :D

kporte Feb 20th 2010 7:37 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8359746)
Oi! :sneaky:

:lol:

Toe Dipper Feb 20th 2010 7:59 am

When I was in the UK, I had a small but very personal group of friends together with a more dissipated yet good group of mates.

Having reached Australia, I find that the same very personal group of friends are here too - my family. The group of mates will always be there in some shape or form, but they all have their own lives to live and so do I.

Like MP, I am somewhat suspicious of people coming on strong for an instant friendship.

That's the way I like it!!

TD

Perry Groves Feb 20th 2010 9:27 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8359063)
Did you post this on porpoise?

yeah, I was fishing

kporte Feb 20th 2010 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8360051)
yeah, I was fishing

Your hair looks lovely.

BadgeIsBack Feb 20th 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8359009)

I'm like you. I like having friends (especially drinking and exercise buddies) but I can function quite easily without them. Thus making friends wasn't a top priority and is just something I let happen. My wife is the opposite.

Me too. In general, I am public spirited, gregarious, even, but I can also function quite well on my own and would rather be on my own than with a bunch of time-wasters or people I felt I had nothing in common with. Pushed into the limelight for too long I will seek the shadows for respite.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8359071)
It's a shame that they used the word Introverted as it has other meanings in the real world. In Myers-Briggs it just means that you like to think internally (i.e. you tend to think about something and give an answer rather than thinking aloud). It doesn't mean that you are socially inept which is unfortunately what it means in the real world.

Fantastic insight - I would feel it almost a slight if someone called me introverted, when it is not a an insult at all. As I have got married and had kids, I have become less of a social animal.

Perry Groves Feb 20th 2010 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8360089)
Your hair looks lovely.

I use L'Oreal because I'm worth it

Hebe Feb 20th 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8360406)
I use L'Oreal because I'm worth it

Are you one of the Grotty Groves from Eastbourne!!!!!

emelems Feb 20th 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8359009)
I think it comes down to personality types. Myers-Briggs would classify it as I (Introverted* type) or E (Extroverted type). *Note that this is not derogatory in Myers-Briggs. A study of the US (which will have a similar trend to the UK and Aus) shows that about 20% of people are type I. These are people who are happy to function on their own (internal thinkers) whereas type E tend to need to be with other people (external thinkers). I think this is one of the reasons why we still need offices in industries that don't need offices. A lot of people need to interact with other people to function.

I'm like you. I like having friends (especially drinking and exercise buddies) but I can function quite easily without them. Thus making friends wasn't a top priority and is just something I let happen. My wife is the opposite.

I am an extrovert (been tested on this on a staff training day a few years back so it is official! haha!) and it got me into trouble the other week at poker game.. Because I think outloud (and I do it all the time, without actually realising), I was working out where the game was at on the table and all 3 players had checked (it was my turn.. either check or bet) and I was figuring if they had had betted or not (I had a good hand you see).. so I mentally thought, check check check (whilst pointing at the players I hasten to add).. not realising that i had said it outloud...

So I bet 500.... jasus! one player went nuts! You'd think that I would have just murdered someone! I got such a bollocking off of him... (he was saying.. it is a verbal contract! It is a verbal contract!:lol:)... I tried to explain that I was actually just following the game and didn't realise that I had thought outloud, but he was having none of it... :eek:

I am always getting into trouble at poker these days! I think I will give it a miss this week and go to the beach instead! ;)

Em x

paulry Feb 20th 2010 9:10 pm

There's several great remarks and observations on this thread that I can very strongly relate to :thumbup:

Me? Well, in typical blokie-fashion I can manage pretty well with or without friends and avoid asking favours, etc. I do enjoy a beer, a laugh and a good conversation with friends though. I'm happy to offer my help and support to just about anyone in times of need. I'm tuned to detect false people, back stabbers and users and avoid such people like the plague. I never forget people who've done me a good turn.

Perry Groves Feb 20th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 8360874)
Are you one of the Grotty Groves from Eastbourne!!!!!

I would need a passport to get into Eastbourne, OAP's only!:)

paulry Feb 20th 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8360999)
I am an extrovert (been tested on this on a staff training day a few years back so it is official! haha!) and it got me into trouble the other week at poker game.. Because I think outloud (and I do it all the time, without actually realising), I was working out where the game was at on the table and all 3 players had checked (it was my turn.. either check or bet) and I was figuring if they had had betted or not (I had a good hand you see).. so I mentally thought, check check check (whilst pointing at the players I hasten to add).. not realising that i had said it outloud...

So I bet 500.... jasus! one player went nuts! You'd think that I would have just murdered someone! I got such a bollocking off of him... (he was saying.. it is a verbal contract! It is a verbal contract!:lol:)... I tried to explain that I was actually just following the game and didn't realise that I had thought outloud, but he was having none of it... :eek:

I am always getting into trouble at poker these days! I think I will give it a miss this week and go to the beach instead! ;)

Em x

:rofl:

Dorothy Feb 20th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8361087)
I'm happy to offer my help and support to just about anyone in times of need. I'm tuned to detect false people, back stabbers and users and avoid such people like the plague. I never forget people who've done me a good turn.

I'm the same Paul. And along with the never forgetting people who've done me a good turn I never forget people who've done me wrong. I don't necessarily look for revenge, but I don't forget.

paulry Feb 20th 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8361104)
I'm the same Paul. And along with the never forgetting people who've done me a good turn I never forget people who've done me wrong. I don't necessarily look for revenge, but I don't forget.

I'm the same. Been there before where I've forgiven a friend whose let me down big time/betrayed me only for them to re-offend. I taught my kids not to fall into that particular trap but they didn't listen at first :rolleyes:. I guess some lessons in life we have to learn for ourselves. :)

Dorothy Feb 20th 2010 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 8361128)
I'm the same. Been there before where I've forgiven a friend whose let me down big time/betrayed me only for them to re-offend. I taught my kids not to fall into that particular trap but they didn't listen at first :rolleyes:. I guess some lessons in life we have to learn for ourselves. :)

Oh, I can forgive. But I don't forget.