Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

What to ship and who to ship with - current as of March/April 2012

Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Container tips

Originally Posted by Mummy3
I was wondering if anyone had any hints with regards as to what to pack, wish you had brought with you etc.
Also did anyone ship tea bags? As not a coffee drinker!!
Oh and is Vegemite anything like marmite as that's all my eldest will eat in sandwiches!

Thanks
You may find that no matter what customs say, the shipping company will refuse to take any type of food or drink in the container. Check with them first.

BB
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Container tips

Ok, we have had an online quote but other 2 are visiting next week so will ask them.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

ajp12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mummy3,

Can I ask what movers company are you using? We are just in the process of getting rough quotes now

Ali x
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Have a quote from Dolphin and John Mason and Brittania are coming out next week. The Dolphin quote was done via internet and phone but am worried I missed some stuff in the loft.
Pm me if you want more details, but we are a family of 5 with a lot of stuff!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Marmite is available here apparently.And Tetley tea, nothing tastes the same though(LOL). We actually buy very expensive PG tips as we prefer it, but much of the tea tastes fine. And I don`t think any shippers like to pack food stuffs. Some of the containers get very hot on their travels and so as recommended by a friend we packed cd`s dvd`s in cool boxes and a polstyrene box. As they were not cooled by other means I don`t know how effective it was but they were ok on arrival.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough

Hi Mummy3,

I had a good quote off excess baggage for removals, need to get 2 more quotes myself a little nearer the time of needing them
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Mummy, this a a link to Brit shop here:
http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/webcontent2.htm

You're going to Melbourne so there's one there and then you know exactly what you can easily get here. I mentioned on another thread that I wished I'd put loads of Ariel in my shipment (yes it's sad). I've moved here twice now and neither of my shippers would pack any food whatsoever. Fed up of giving away my herbs and spices all the time!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Marmite is available here apparently.And Tetley tea, nothing tastes the same though(LOL). We actually buy very expensive PG tips as we prefer it, but much of the tea tastes fine. And I don`t think any shippers like to pack food stuffs. Some of the containers get very hot on their travels and so as recommended by a friend we packed cd`s dvd`s in cool boxes and a polstyrene box. As they were not cooled by other means I don`t know how effective it was but they were ok on arrival.
Wouldn't worry too much. All our vinyl and the CDs were just in a normal cardboard box and came to no harm whatsoever.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Removal Quotes - how accurate was the volume upon which quote was based?

Hi All

We've had 2 quotes in the last week for international removals from Scotland to Sydney. There is £700 difference however the cheaper quote is based on 70 cubic feet less despite us showing both reps the same items for shipping. We are only shipping about 500 cubic feet in total.

The rep who provided the cheaper quote said that if on the day of packing our items take up more space than anticipated then they will charge extra - this would also work in reverse with us receiving a refund should our effects take up less room apparently. I'm just a bit concerned that he has given us a cheap quote to hook us in and then we end up paying extra. So I suppose I'm looking for the experiences of wise folk on here - how accurate was the volume upon which the quote was based and how many of you ended up paying extra?

Cheers
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Removal Quotes - how accurate was the volume upon which quote was based?

Can't help you but one of our quotes was over the phone, not sure how much I trust it...
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

VickyA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal Quotes - how accurate was the volume upon which quote was based?

We had two quotes, one for just over 1000 cu ft, the other for 750. Same house, personal surveys, the first was all techy with a PDA and estimating, the other was old school measuring everything by hand..! I've had to get a third company in, as I'm completely confused..
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

gabby_cat is an unknown quantity at this point

We found this very strange. Our sponsoring company was providing a 40ft container and they sent Pickfords round. The assessors quote said we'd need 39 ft, even though I told her we'd be flat packing our wardrobes and book cases as they were Ikea ones and would travel better flat. The team quoted 2 days to pack and half a day to load but took two mornings to pack and a couple of hours to load. We barely filled half the container and they kept asking us where the rest of our stuff was. So if you can dismantle any of your furniture you'll save a lot of space.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
Hi All

We've had 2 quotes in the last week for international removals from Scotland to Sydney. There is £700 difference however the cheaper quote is based on 70 cubic feet less despite us showing both reps the same items for shipping. We are only shipping about 500 cubic feet in total.

The rep who provided the cheaper quote said that if on the day of packing our items take up more space than anticipated then they will charge extra - this would also work in reverse with us receiving a refund should our effects take up less room apparently. I'm just a bit concerned that he has given us a cheap quote to hook us in and then we end up paying extra. So I suppose I'm looking for the experiences of wise folk on here - how accurate was the volume upon which the quote was based and how many of you ended up paying extra?

Cheers

I would go with the one who did not say it might be more or less on the day. I want to know up front what the costs will be, that is why they send a surveyor round and they should do their job properly, not adjust on the day.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:41 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

The first time we moved the chap came looked around said it would all fit in a 20ft container with a small amount of spare space if we wanted to put anything extra in, they told me the day that the container would be at the depot and I was welcome to fill any gaps (apparently they get 4 hours to load the container)

the second time he came round and said it might all fit in but he thought they'd be about $200 of extras... There was exactly $200 of extras that went group age.

Each time I've gone with a smaller company, (Britannia franchise in West Mids) and a small company in Adelaide(ITS) The person who came and quoted spent some time at the sharp end wrapping and packing.... I think that helps when you know exactly how a piece of furniture comes apart, and, more importantly how much you can dismantle without it becoming a nightmare to reassemble at the other end!

the man with the PDA came from a big company (John mason) and the man with the tape measure came from Pickfords... both over estimated the volume!

Britannia worked out the least expensive, the packers are all full time permanent employees who were reliable and trustworthy... (its important to have people you trust moving your belongings!)
We're going with Britannia again... unsurprisingly, the same chap came to estimate... and the same guys who unpacked me will be packing again!

My advice is go with the company who gives you a firm price, and you like them ... Don't trust anyone who can't work out the volume of the stuff and is unable to tell you the exact cost!

PS my quote for 20ft container was £3900 and the quote for a full 40ft would have been £6200 (give or take a few £, don't have the price in front of me!)
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
We found this very strange. Our sponsoring company was providing a 40ft container and they sent Pickfords round. The assessors quote said we'd need 39 ft, even though I told her we'd be flat packing our wardrobes and book cases as they were Ikea ones and would travel better flat. The team quoted 2 days to pack and half a day to load but took two mornings to pack and a couple of hours to load. We barely filled half the container and they kept asking us where the rest of our stuff was. So if you can dismantle any of your furniture you'll save a lot of space.
Thanks for your response gabby. Yes we also have IKEA furniture and made it clear that we would have it all dismantled ready for flat packing by the team. One company said that the packers would automatically remove legs from tables etc and the other said they would expect that to be done by us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.