British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you not like about living in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-oz-674803/)

mark wool Jul 16th 2010 2:21 am

Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8705995)
If someone owns multiple properties are they really poor?

We know they are not poor but i just cant hold them in the same regard as people whom own property in proper money? After al its like a game of monopoly over here.

Officer Dibble Jul 16th 2010 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8706012)
They might be if they bought them for more than they were worth and then the housing bubble burst and they are now all in negative equity. ;)

My piles bleed for them. ;)

Sherlock Holmes Jul 16th 2010 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8706030)
My piles bleed for them. ;)

Interesting use of the word piles there...a pile also being a big country house.....:D

Officer Dibble Jul 16th 2010 2:25 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8706037)
Interesting use of the word piles there...a pile also being a big country house.....:D

I knew that. :unsure:

Sherlock Holmes Jul 16th 2010 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8706045)
I knew that. :unsure:

I thought you might have done....but for those who aren't as subtle as you and I...?

Officer Dibble Jul 16th 2010 2:34 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8706068)
I thought you might have done....but for those who aren't as subtle as you and I...?

I didnt really but Ive written it down for future reference.

jimbo_d Jul 16th 2010 2:37 am

Bloody whingers

DeadVim Jul 16th 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8705875)
Cant fault you pal I just think this country has huge problems which hopefully if you arrived here at the right time you may be able to avoid it. JUST!

Apart from health issues, which nobody can predict, about the worst thing that can happen to this family is financial, as far as I can see.

Hence the reason we are trying to clear our one and only biggest debt (the home loan) as quickly as possible.

Of course, you need to be in a position to do this but we ain't exactly on megabucks. It does help that we bought 4 years ago but I do think most of the strife the so called 'battlers' (horrible term) get into is self-inflicted.

The rest of the country's problems? Meh, just like anywhere else ...

>Trigger< Jul 16th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 8705882)
Queensland may have the best climate in the country but it is basically the least European and most 'Aussie' part of the country

Queensland the least European?, I never knew that..blimey I nearly dropped me banjo :lol:

Scubaemma Jul 16th 2010 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8676613)
Nah, I'm struggling now.
$2 coin too small. Has anyone mentioned that?

50c coin too big (why does it need to be so enormous?!).
I miss popping over to Europe for the weekend.
Infomercials (no I STILL don't want an ab circle pro or one of those 'amazing' ladders).

Ummm, that's about all I can think of! I love living here

aussietobe Jul 16th 2010 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8670454)
hi was very interested with the post 'what do you love about living in oz' and people all asked why only positive comments.

so i took the time to register to add a thread to ask what people dont like about this place, thought it would only be fair!!!!! :rofl:

anyway look forward to your comments good and bad would be interesting if we share the same views!!! :thumbsup:

The fact the ALP runs the country. Thats it.

fish.01 Jul 16th 2010 11:45 pm

For me I would be happy if the more extreme politicians disappeared from the scene. Would make Australia a better place.

Wish it was just the centre left ALP vs centre left Liberal/Nationals (plus the greens etc in the senate) and all the fruit cakes like Tony Abbott/Mark Latham slunk away to deal with their anger mgt and control issues. Well over the asylum seeker beat ups and other nastiness that they try and pass off as good policy.

Not that many other places would be any better in this regard I guess....

Tina7 Jul 18th 2010 5:31 pm

It's been said before but I'll say it again-- bogans! At times it appears the national percentage is at the 75% mark.

Fervent nationalism.

Feels like I am living in a time-warp of sorts.

Barely disguised xenophobia toward anyone who isn't a white, born and bred Aussie.

Bloody expensive bananas. :eek:

DeadVim Jul 18th 2010 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by tina71 (Post 8711495)
It's been said before but I'll say it again-- bogans! At times it appears the national percentage is at the 75% mark.

Fervent nationalism.

Feels like I am living in a time-warp of sorts.

Barely disguised xenophobia toward anyone who isn't a white, born and bred Aussie.

Bloody expensive bananas. :eek:

So, all you have to do is to avoid being amongst a group of tattooed thugs driving vintage Holdens down on a beach listening to Pauline Hanson speak at an Australia Day rally when the only food available is of the yellow and bent variety.

Easy done :thumbup:

Tina7 Jul 18th 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8711509)
So, all you have to do is to avoid being amongst a group of tattooed thugs driving vintage Holdens down on a beach listening to Pauline Hanson speak at an Australia Day rally when the only food available is of the yellow and bent variety.

Ah, dear Pauline. She did and still does appeal to that undercurrent of fear of a country overrun by *gulp* immigrants. Once I was told I was lucky to be here and I should be grateful I was white. :blink:

DeadVim Jul 18th 2010 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by tina71 (Post 8711524)
Ah, dear Pauline. She did and still does appeal to that undercurrent of fear of a country overrun by *gulp* immigrants. Once I was told I was lucky to be here and I should be grateful I was white. :blink:

If we had The Daily Mail then all bets would be off ... :ohmy:

Tina7 Jul 18th 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8711556)
If we had The Daily Mail then all bets would be off ... :ohmy:

I think most of Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp tabloids are the equivalent. :D

BadgeIsBack Jul 18th 2010 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8711509)

If you leave the TV off 7, 9 and 10 you can solve just about most of this in one fell swoop. And choose your friends and your work...It's not hard..

juddy Jul 18th 2010 11:54 pm

Julia giving me 7k back in tax refund this year.....

meelie Jul 19th 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8670454)
hi was very interested with the post 'what do you love about living in oz' and people all asked why only positive comments.

so i took the time to register to add a thread to ask what people dont like about this place, thought it would only be fair!!!!! :rofl:

anyway look forward to your comments good and bad would be interesting if we share the same views!!! :thumbsup:

The standard of driving, of which there is no standard! Even the elderly drive like hoons!!!
Being corrected with my english. HELLO I ACTUALLY WAS BORN IN UK and was taught to speak the queens english!
Being told to go back to UK when I mention I miss my family.
The government, every prime minister who gets voted in cos they make promises never delivers so then some other ass is voted in cos of the promises they make and OMG they don't deliver either WHAT A SURPRISE!!
Lack of competition which means we get ripped off from buying small items to purchasing flights! I mean how can a loaf of bread be over $4.00!!!
But aside from all that I love living here and would never consider going back to the UK to live.

dickydavies Jul 19th 2010 9:42 am

No mail on a saturday
Abysmal TV
Shocking driving standards
The price of housing, groceries and clothes
Not being able to hop on a plane for a cheap holiday in europe
Not being able to hop on a plane for a cheap holiday in australia

BUT lots of sun. Sea and beautiful women!

alipally Jul 20th 2010 12:30 am

Originally Posted by dickydavies (Post 8713529)
No mail on a saturday
!

That's the one thing I'm actually grateful for!!!

moneypenny20 Jul 20th 2010 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 8705785)
No cats eyes on road, lack of lane markings making driving difficult in dark or when wet.

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8705908)
Plenty of cat's eyes here in Vic..and we are in the middle of nowhere. Funny old world, ain't it.

Plenty of cats eyes in my part of QLD :confused: Lots of country roads don't have them but then they don't in the UK either. However most of the things people seem to not like are the same in the UK so I guess they're just trying to find negative things in order to post on the thread. ;)

DeadVim Jul 20th 2010 2:55 pm

I don't like Channel 10 asking for my opinion on the election when all I want to do is have a leisurely stroll into work.

So if the opinion "I have a soul, therefore I cannot vote for Abbott but the alternatives aren't that great either" is aired then you'll know who it is ;)

mpgrewal Jul 20th 2010 3:36 pm

I dont like all sections of the society, right from school going girl to a professional, using the F* word. They do it everywhere in buses, trains, workplaces and religious places. :(

I am certain it offends all the asian people where this word is considered as a taboo and consequences of public usage are 'severe'.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 20th 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8716643)
I dont like all sections of the society, right from school going girl to a professional, using the F* word. They do it everywhere in buses, trains, workplaces and religious places. :(

I am certain it offends all the asian people where this word is considered as a taboo and consequences of public usage are 'severe'.

Well if you don't like it you should just...... nah, couldn't bring myself to do it. ;)

Pollyana Jul 20th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8716650)
Well if you don't like it you should just...... nah, couldn't bring myself to do it. ;)

:lol: :sneaky:

starblue Jul 21st 2010 2:29 pm

The driving is pretty bad! Aussie's in general are warm and friendly people but get them behind a wheel and they seem to forget about manners! It is amazing really!

Everything is Australian made, made in Australia...what about the global market?!

The arrogant, unrelenting belief that Oz is the best place in the world. The Aussie's tell me this a lot. Most who say this have never seen Europe or outside of Oz.

The Winter's are a bit too cold in Victoria for me...

Been here 16 months now and these are the only things that have irritated me but other than that Australia is a wonderful experience :thumbsup:

mpgrewal Jul 21st 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by starblue (Post 8719196)
Everything is Australian made, made in Australia...what about the global market?!

Goto Kmart and tell me what is Aussie made there. China powers it:huh:

In general, I think 'Made in Australia' goods are plummeting because of high costs. Thats why lot of graffiti and advertisements that request people to buy made in Australia goods.

miss_moss Jul 21st 2010 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8719262)
Goto Kmart and tell me what is Aussie made there. China powers it:huh:

In general, I think 'Made in Australia' goods are plummeting because of high costs. Thats why lot of graffiti and advertisements that request people to buy made in Australia goods.

The flights to anywhere are far too expensive from Australia. I travel a lot for work and my UK based company are constantly complaining about how, for the cost of flying them to Sydney, they can barely get me to Singapore!

Also, luxury car tax makes me want to weep...

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8716575)
Plenty of cats eyes in my part of QLD :confused: Lots of country roads don't have them but then they don't in the UK either. However most of the things people seem to not like are the same in the UK so I guess they're just trying to find negative things in order to post on the thread. ;)

Of course, something doesn't have to be exclusive to Australia to be on topic, but that's the implication.

Many things I confess to not recognisng, like driving standards which I think are the same or just different flavours of it. Eg. Fast screaming chavs vs slower weaving hoons...partly down to different rules concerning overtaking in the inside lane. On the M25 people scream past dangerously when there is no other 'option' for them, and might clip close in the inside eventually; in Australia the equivalent weave by default...

Wol Jul 21st 2010 10:02 pm

I'm tempted to say "all of the above" but that will only attract flames <g>.

Just back from a month in Europe, and am suffering from total culture shock.

From clean, efficient, ontime and courteous rail services in Holland, for example, we spend three hours getting from Sydney airport to Bowral (100 Km): the first train as usual cold, filthy, scratched windows hardly transparent, chewing gum and stains all over the seats, McDonalds bags between the seats, graffiti on the walls. The second with something horribly wrong with the bogies: screeching so loud that you couldn't converse up to 30Kph and then vibration like a pneumatic drill above 40 - plus all the above.

Come for the weather and the space - frankly there's nothing else unless you are escaping from a sink estate in the UK.

But, Heh! Australia's the best country in the world - every other checkout lady tells me that so it must be true...

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mpgrewal (Post 8716643)

It also surprises parts of English society who are rather sheltered....who then plop themselves in the thick of it too...

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8716650)

Now now! :p

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8719784)
I'm tempted to say "all of the above" but that will only attract flames <g>.

Just back from a month in Europe, and am suffering from total culture shock.

From clean, efficient, ontime and courteous rail services in Holland, for example, we spend three hours getting from Sydney airport to Bowral (100 Km): the first train as usual cold, filthy, scratched windows hardly transparent, chewing gum and stains all over the seats, McDonalds bags between the seats, graffiti on the walls. The second with something horribly wrong with the bogies: screeching so loud that you couldn't converse up to 30Kph and then vibration like a pneumatic drill above 40 - plus all the above.

Come for the weather and the space - frankly there's nothing else unless you are escaping from a sink estate in the UK.

But, Heh! Australia's the best country in the world - every other checkout lady tells me that so it must be true...

Wol - there's no point in comparing Holland to NSW CountryLink.....me old china. The train is a different commodity in Straya.

I see where you are coming from, and would also add - come for that which you know you can get, solve or address, and get on your own terms - which I admit might take a lot of luck.

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8719799)
Wol - there's no point in comparing Holland to NSW CountryLink.....me old china. The train is a different commodity in Straya.

I see where you are coming from, and would also add - come for that which you know you can get, solve or address, and get on your own terms - which I admit might take a lot of luck.

OK. Got a few mins spare. Not just a comparison.

I also find the train a bit of a peeve at times in Melbourne - explanation for those who aren't living in Melbourne, and particularly in the SE who deserve to know the facts: It's a good line, very few cancellations in the 4 years I have been using it. I get a seat, I get a few options as to where I can get off (and on). It is nowhere near as unreliable as other lines, but it's a rougher line particularly in the middle section. Point 1 - there is variation in the lines - don't let the tabloid free rag they distribute fool you otherwise. It's also dirt cheap. $50 a week. Star value, quite frankly, almost verging on too cheap.

The principle problem I have is the detritus of society that travel on it. They are safe, mostly law-abiding people - just a bit ordinary, and dull, that's all.

This is only anything to do with Melbourne due to demographics, not in any way its fault or some sort of character flaw in the Australian.

People in Melbourne drive to work or they get the tram. The train is for plebs or those people who live at the ends of the line who see it as being a convenience (like I do) - which is becoming the norm as there is more and more development out SE. (It's interesting that a few key stations still set a standard for demographics - whilst stations next to them are in rapid decline).
I'm told there was traditionally a stigma to catching the train.

When I lived in London, the train was a viable commuting tool for all sections of society. Like in Melbourne, when I moved to a rougher area of London it was very noticeable that the demograpics headed south. When I get on the Alamein line in Melbourne - the one line that attracts a tram-style patronage - it's also noticeable.

Point 2 for prospective people - things work differently in some places in Australia.

Point 3 for prospective people - there are explanations for negative experiences which should (infact) not come as a surprise.

Wol Jul 21st 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8719799)

Very true.

But again: Mrs Wol went up to t'smoke (Sydney) last month. First train had hardened vomit on one door, blood smears down the other side (plus the usual filth). Second one had a girl overdosed on the floor screaming all the way.

You ain't seen nuffing until you've experienced the NSW train system. But you can't blame the operators really when there are so many ferals destroying the trains 24/7: it's part of life in the area.

(Just responding to the thread title, not whingeing.)

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8719846)
Very true.

But again: Mrs Wol went up to t'smoke (Sydney) last month. First train had hardened vomit on one door, blood smears down the other side (plus the usual filth). Second one had a girl overdosed on the floor screaming all the way.

You ain't seen nuffing until you've experienced the NSW train system. But you can't blame the operators really when there are so many ferals destroying the trains 24/7: it's part of life in the area.

(Just responding to the thread title, not whingeing.)

Just wanted to add that it might have declined. I used to travel down south from the NSW Central Coast to Sydney and it was a pleasure. I'm a big fan of the double deckers. (Right old spotter eh!)

But it's not really the country train if that makes sense...I do remember going to Dubbo in a more northerly direction 8 years ago and it was OK - just country folk.

Melbourne's suburban trains are just like the ones in London perhaps 5 years ago -to look at. And they are a bore just because they're that - suburban.
Demographics - nothing more.

bcworld Jul 21st 2010 10:43 pm

I reckon the trains in both Melbourne & Sydney are like mobile dustbins...far more so than those in London ever were. Other than that I can't knock the service in Sydney though...virtually no need to check schedules for about 17-18 hours a day as there is always a train soon and generally on time (just my experience City <> Chatswood).

Brisbane on the other hand had clean trains but miss one...and wait half an hour for the next.

BadgeIsBack Jul 21st 2010 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8719870)
I reckon the trains in both Melbourne & Sydney are like mobile dustbins...far more so than those in London ever were. Other than that I can't knock the service in Sydney though...virtually no need to check schedules for about 17-18 hours a day as there is always a train soon and generally on time (just my experience City <> Chatswood).

Brisbane on the other hand had clean trains but miss one...and wait half an hour for the next.

I rate the trains in Sydney more so than Melbourne. I would not consider any of them mobile dustbins and considering there are no bins [on Melbourne trains], it's a miracle they are not worse. And yes, they are fairly frequent. During rushhour they are very 20mins or so, in one tight spot c. 5pm every 5-10mins. Better than London for the same 'journey' [my journey].

Pollyana Jul 21st 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8719784)

:ohmy::sneaky:

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8719870)
I

That's so ture. When the trains are on time they are great, but if they cancel one (all too frequent) or you miss one :thumbdown: