British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you not like about living in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-oz-674803/)

paddyo Jul 1st 2010 4:43 pm

Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 8671920)
:D

Although I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people here would be moaning about those exact same subjects if they were still in the UK :p

yes....thats the next thread!!! :thumbup:

merv63 Jul 1st 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8671910)
I think what benefits you have failed to mention, which are probably the BIGGEST weights in favour of Aus are:

Tadaa:....... In number 1 : The weather!

In number 2: Clean beaches!

In number 3: Landscape & Fauna!

Note: Beaches is not part of landscape as it's enjoyed on it's own.

As you can see, what we really like here is everything bar the ppl, the economy, the politics & the driving!!! :thumbup:

lol glad i put this post on here given us lots to smile about knowing we are not the only ones!!!!! thought we were just winging poms haha. syedney you said it in one and well said. we like the place but the people are backstabbing beep beep beeps!!! who just want to screw you over, every pom or south african or anyone not from here says it. well thats in wa anyway. we are yet to come across a loyal and sincere aussie. so keep posting its giving us lots of laughs. would be great to hear from anyone from south west wa we are in bunbury.

merv63 Jul 1st 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by chrissystevo (Post 8671918)
Racism almost everywhere you look.

The arrogance of the average Australian.

The poor level of education which no doubt sometimes leads to the above.

In Queensland specifically how eeryting seems to shut down at 7pm on weekdays and Saturdays, early afternoon on Sundays.

The appaling TV, unless you want to watch US crime programmes (SVU, Criminal Minds,NCS Miami NY LA etc).

Blatant prduct placement and over advertising - films interuppted every 5 minutes for 10 minutes worth of adverts.

The fact that the country is stuck in the 1970's.

The price of most things - very expensive.

The height of summer is too hot.

The idiot drivers - Think it's clever to doughnuts on resodential streets or to drive up your backside on a motorway.

The fact that they check your bags when you leave a store.

The shocking level of customer service.

priceless!!!!! you are right about the rascism most definately, i have never come accross such a group of people who hate the english so much or infact anyone who is not even closely an aussie!!! i think that they seem to forget that most of them decent from our rejects!!!

as for checking your bags as you come out of the shops that annoys the hell out of me. speaking of which our english friend went for a medical for a job the other day and had to have someone stand with him whilst he peed in the pot for the urine sample as apparently alot of people have one 'they made earlier' in thier pockets!!! oh what an honest nation we live in. and alot of empolyers here in wa check the urine of the staff on almost a daily basis for drugs and alcohol as it is so bad over here apparently.

the saying its beer o clock also irritates me and the fact you see them all on a friday afternoon driving in thier utes with thier dogs and thier fluro shirts with thier stubby (or should i say bottle of piss) and we are only just picking up the kids from school and these idiots are half cut and on the roads.

maybe that explains the number of crosses you see on the roads it has always puzzled me how come there are soooo many accidents on the straight roads????

freebo Jul 1st 2010 4:59 pm

I've been here 8 weeks so far (this time) and hve to smile and agree with most of the above, especially

- Driving
- Expense
- Customer Service
- TV

Still, I could come up with a much longer list about the UK!

Wendy66 Jul 1st 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8670461)
Welcome to BE :) Hope you're ready for some of the replies. :eek:

I have to go to work in 5 hours so don't really have long enough to answer the question at the moment though.....:sneaky:

Aren't you going to ask;

Wouldn't a realistic picture be better than just a rose-tinted one?

like you did in the 'What you love about living in Australia'?

paddyo Jul 1st 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy66 (Post 8671951)
Aren't you going to ask;

Wouldn't a realistic picture be better than just a rose-tinted one?

like you did in the 'What you love about living in Australia'?

meeooow!!! Love it!!

ozzieeagle Jul 1st 2010 5:15 pm

Funny isnt it.... I dont notice this lack of customer service thing, or even the bad driving, maybe you get used to it, once your into the 3rd decade.

Still my main dislike and I've gone on about it before, is the brown grass/dust, fly ridden, blow furnace winds of summer, which seem to be slightly worse on this side of Melbourne.

Ironic part is, I've asked my Aussie Wife if she dislikes it, and she says "It just means it's summer" consequently she likes it.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 1st 2010 5:32 pm

Excellent, well balanced, series of posts. :eek:

Bloody Hell folks, you make the place sound like Llandudno on a Bank Holiday weekend. :ohmy:

mark wool Jul 1st 2010 5:52 pm

I will keep it short. OZ.

Kim67 Jul 1st 2010 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8671940)
priceless!!!!! you are right about the rascism most definately, i have never come accross such a group of people who hate the english so much or infact anyone who is not even closely an aussie!!! i think that they seem to forget that most of them decent from our rejects!!!

as for checking your bags as you come out of the shops that annoys the hell out of me. speaking of which our english friend went for a medical for a job the other day and had to have someone stand with him whilst he peed in the pot for the urine sample as apparently alot of people have one 'they made earlier' in thier pockets!!! oh what an honest nation we live in. and alot of empolyers here in wa check the urine of the staff on almost a daily basis for drugs and alcohol as it is so bad over here apparently.

the saying its beer o clock also irritates me and the fact you see them all on a friday afternoon driving in thier utes with thier dogs and thier fluro shirts with thier stubby (or should i say bottle of piss) and we are only just picking up the kids from school and these idiots are half cut and on the roads.

maybe that explains the number of crosses you see on the roads it has always puzzled me how come there are soooo many accidents on the straight roads????

These are the things you hate about Australia and you chose to live in Bunbury? As much as I love my country cousins, at a recent family reunion in South Western Australia, my kids kept asking why everyone spoke with such a funny accent, why they dressed the way they did and where their teeth had gone. I've said it often on this forum - some of you people that hate Australia so much don't need to move back to the UK, but move to a nice suburb with normal people, good schools, okay shopping and not an obese commodore driving bogan in sight.

Desire Jul 1st 2010 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8672006)
I will keep it short. OZ.

I like it :rofl:

Zimzoe Jul 1st 2010 7:51 pm

Having lived on the Gold Coast for just over a year now I can honestly say there are far more positives than negatives about living here. I could write dozens of things that are fantastic about Oz but keeping to the relevance of this discussion....Although I had visited Oz a number of times before moving here permanently I really did not appreciate how expensive it is - rates and taxes, utilities, groceries, car reg, flights etc. are all more expensive than in the UK. They have found very imaginative and mind boggling ways to tax you here. Nearly everything is more expensive, except for petrol. Health care (Medicare) is definitely not free! Most people will need to take out private health insurance.

I have not encountered any racism here, most people are friendly and it is a very multicultural society. Like everywhere in the world there are all kinds of people here, the good, the bad and the ugly. I have found customer service to be better than the UK overall and as for the driving, it is very similar to many European countries and by no means "dreadful" - compared to Africa and the UAE it is very civilized indeed!

alipally Jul 1st 2010 8:09 pm

Ignorance and racism is absolutely rife here....
I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"

What can you say when the so called educated professional thinks that this is funny?

News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants and nobody seems to believe in Global warming, or that this will affect them.... :confused:

neil248 Jul 1st 2010 8:11 pm

I think the Gold Coast would be one of the most tolerant places in Australia because virtually everybody is from somewhere else, whether from abroad or elsewhere in Australia. You would have to be going some not to be accepted here or find a niche for yourself.

Went to Lismore one Saturday and the town was basically shut, I can imagine small town Australia being pretty grim for any length of time.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jul 1st 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 8672179)
News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants....

Though on the plus side pants are usually shorts. :)

Syedney Jul 1st 2010 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8672186)
Though on the plus side pants are usually shorts. :)

'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"

This story could be about any Ozzies really!

They all love their thongs!! ;)

Kim67 Jul 1st 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8672204)

This story could be about any Ozzies really!

They all love their thongs!! ;)

Yeah, but most of us pee in the back yard, not the sink.

fish.01 Jul 1st 2010 8:58 pm

I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"

What can you say when the so called educated professional thinks that this is funny?

News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants and nobody seems to believe in Global warming, or that this will affect them.... :confused:

That's disgusting, you should report them...at least tell us where here is?

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 8671483)
Read my bit if you're on 457...and then add JAD's comments too...

JAD, brilliant sum up :thumbup:

So how does this whole 457 thing work then!?

kporte Jul 1st 2010 9:10 pm

Global warming? And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Alfresco Jul 1st 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8672253)

You too! :D

mark wool Jul 1st 2010 9:30 pm

let it go over your head. I have also encountered racism here.

BadgeIsBack Jul 1st 2010 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by merv63 (Post 8671931)
lol glad i put this post on here given us lots to smile about knowing we are not the only ones!!!!! thought we were just winging poms haha. syedney you said it in one and well said. we like the place but the people are backstabbing beep beep beeps!!! who just want to screw you over, every pom or south african or anyone not from here says it. well thats in wa anyway. we are yet to come across a loyal and sincere aussie. so keep posting its giving us lots of laughs. would be great to hear from anyone from south west wa we are in bunbury.

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 8672057)
I've said it often on this forum - some of you people that hate Australia so much don't need to move back to the UK, but move to a nice suburb with normal people, good schools, okay shopping and not an obese commodore driving bogan in sight.

It's not funny at all is it? To be honest, some of these posts show that something is very, very wrong with a job or place or living. Unfortunately it can take resources - education or money to open up doors, and locations, as the country is not the cheapest place it was. I reckon there is a whole generation of British expats who have been failed. :(

Disgusting.

Pine Cone Jul 1st 2010 11:07 pm

[QUOTE=Zimzoe;8672157 rates and taxes, utilities, groceries, car reg, flights etc. are all more expensive than in the UK. They have found very imaginative and mind boggling ways to tax you here. Nearly everything is more expensive, except for petrol. Health care (Medicare) is definitely not free! Most people will need to take out private health insurance.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have to pay rates when you are renting (as in UK) or does the property owner pay the rates (as in NZ)?

What sort of medical expenses do you have to pay for then? I'm only just getting my head around this group-billing stuff for Dr's appointments.

Pollyana Jul 1st 2010 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8672253)

Talk to them, I'm sure they are quite friendly :) Used to have a leprechaun at the bottom of my street, but he saw the light and went home :lol:

fish.01 Jul 1st 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8672461)
Talk to them, I'm sure they are quite friendly :) Used to have a leprechaun at the bottom of my street, but he saw the light and went home :lol:

Knowing you you talked him into it :rofl: "ah, for sure, it's better in the old country, rubbish here....all thick as two planks..."

Pollyana Jul 2nd 2010 12:51 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 8672469)
Knowing you you talked him into it :rofl: "ah, for sure, it's better in the old country, rubbish here....all thick as two planks..."

Nowt to do with me, makes up his own mind, I have no influence whatsoever on his decisions :)

Syedney Jul 2nd 2010 1:18 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8672247)
So how does this whole 457 thing work then!?

Well,that's a separate thread in itself!

Kingseat Jul 2nd 2010 1:40 am

How burnt out and dry WA gets in summer.
The whole bag checking thing. Particularly bad in places like Target or BigW.
Expense. Probably not so much on groceries but cheap crap clothes, DVD's, CD's. furiture, bedding etc. All mainly substandard quality.
Spiders.
The bag packing thing they insist on doing at the supermarket.
It isn't that close to Europe (yes, ok I know that is obvious but being here has shown me how much I like to try different cultures on holiday and have different money in my purse. Australia, although beautiful with lots and lots to see in many ways is exactly the same as being at home, ie same money, same shops, same restaurants etc.
The driving. Still shocks me.
TV - can't believe Wimbledon is on and it isn't being shown live. Only at 4 am tomorrow morning.

mark wool Jul 2nd 2010 2:18 am

Chocolate. Never in to it, could leave it at a drop of a hat, but since coming here i love UK chocolate. Cannot stand the sh**e over here.
Shopping, come on i am from Derby in the midlands. Its not a prosperous place, or is it, perhaps thats one thing i have learnt. Farmers markets, the fresh veg the meat AAAARRRRGGGGhhHHHH!
Never Thought I would say it but i Think.
I am English Through and Through.95.5% anglo saxon.
I appreciate my country, the cultural diversity, the laid back attitude, the fact that you have family and friends no matter what colour or origin, the best economy in the world, the best cars, houses and food. Your kids will learn to read and write early and efficeintly.
Welcome to Heaven, welcome to England!

Sherlock Holmes Jul 2nd 2010 2:28 am

AAAARRRRGGGGhhHHHH!
I live there.

lauralollipop Jul 2nd 2010 2:34 am

No radiators
crap windows (like green house glass)
Bag checking
overpriced everything
lack of choice
Everything closed at 5pm and on Sundays
like living in 70's
crap quality everything
Drivers cant merge or use roundabouts
too many traffic lights
crap broadband and crap Foxtel rip off not as good as Sky
Hoons
Distance too far away from anything and travel so expensive
no nice pubs with nice beer gardens and comfy seats and beer soo expensive!
Visitors thinking they can rock up and stay with you and treat your home like a hotel whenever they feel like they want to book a free holiday!!!!!:thumbdown:

mark wool Jul 2nd 2010 2:39 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8672837)
I live there.

I am so jealous. I am in Brisbane and mate,,,,,,,, I dont know where to start.
The thoughts, the farms, the sainsburys. you can never describe it, the jobs, the,the,the.
"I will be English Till I Die"
Never said it before but after this experience that is what i am.

Sherlock Holmes Jul 2nd 2010 3:25 am

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8672867)
I am so jealous. I am in Brisbane and mate,,,,,,,, I dont know where to start.
The thoughts, the farms, the sainsburys. you can never describe it, the jobs, the,the,the.
"I will be English Till I Die"
Never said it before but after this experience that is what i am.

Hmmm..."I live there", referred to AARRRGGGHHHH....as in my profile. I do actually live here (OZ) and I love it. Am in Country Victoria. I'd not be anywhere else.

Buzzy--Bee Jul 2nd 2010 9:43 am

Reading some of these responses my two thoughts are:

1. Why the hell did you people move to Australia and not realise it was going to be hot in summer and a long way from Europe? A brief glance at an atlas might just have given a clue.

2. Did you do any research at all or did you just turn up at Heathrow and say "one ticket to Home-and-Away land please?"

BB

neil248 Jul 2nd 2010 10:05 am

Not sure if some of these posters are actually serious about what they are writing.

There is something called due dilligence which surely they carried out before coming here especially those who come without PR.

Australia is a small nation on the edge of the world and completely in a world of its own. Apart from towing the line on some USA policy resulting from the second world war, mainstream Australia is completely oblivious to any thing apart from itself.

Why would a sophisticated, succesful European come here in the first place. It is full of people who have run away from something, the clever ones embrace Australia and make a good life in a country that allows you to do just that.

Jeremy Clarkson did an excellent article on expats which raised a few hackles.

The worst thing about Australia for me is that I still get to hear the names Sainsburys, Tescos and Marks and Spencers mentioned.

Kingseat Jul 2nd 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8673708)

1. Why the hell did you people move to Australia and not realise it was going to be hot in summer and a long way from Europe? A brief glance at an atlas might just have given a clue.

2. Did you do any research at all or did you just turn up at Heathrow and say "one ticket to Home-and-Away land please?"

BB

What? Did you expect us all to love the place and have no complaints about living here? Of course there are niggles, just like we all had in the UK. Much of living here you can't research or know about until you live it. Being here has taught me an awful lot about myself. One thing being that I prefer to experience different cultures on a short holiday and not other parts of Australia all the time where, as I said above, it is same shops, money and people.

Same with the weather. I knew all about a WA Summer after being here several times on holiday but day to day life, ie commuting in it is completely different to being here on holiday.

I didn't appreciate how dried out our grass and plants and trees and countryside was until a trip to QLD in May. I was amazed at how green everything was! I couldn't take my eyes off the trees!

Sherlock Holmes Jul 2nd 2010 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8673708)

BB

I agree wholeheartedly with the above but I do have one complaint:

The use of the word(s) whipper snipper to describe something that is a noisy smelly 2 stroke petrol strimmer!!!! Usually applied to lawn edges at 7 in the morning. Whipper snipper sounds quiet and soothing. It ain't!

Deancm_MKII Jul 2nd 2010 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zimzoe (Post 8672157)
Having lived on the Gold Coast for just over a year now I can honestly say there are far more positives than negatives about living here. I could write dozens of things that are fantastic about Oz but keeping to the relevance of this discussion....Although I had visited Oz a number of times before moving here permanently I really did not appreciate how expensive it is - rates and taxes, utilities, groceries, car reg, flights etc. are all more expensive than in the UK. They have found very imaginative and mind boggling ways to tax you here. Nearly everything is more expensive, except for petrol. Health care (Medicare) is definitely not free! Most people will need to take out private health insurance.

I have not encountered any racism here, most people are friendly and it is a very multicultural society. Like everywhere in the world there are all kinds of people here, the good, the bad and the ugly. I have found customer service to be better than the UK overall and as for the driving, it is very similar to many European countries and by no means "dreadful" - compared to Africa and the UAE it is very civilized indeed!

Living on the Gold Coast has the effect of making a person appear more intelligent compared to the locals.

merv63 Jul 2nd 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8673975)
I agree wholeheartedly with the above but I do have one complaint:

The use of the word(s) whipper snipper to describe something that is a noisy smelly 2 stroke petrol strimmer!!!! Usually applied to lawn edges at 7 in the morning. Whipper snipper sounds quiet and soothing. It ain't!

haha yeah got to agree also dont know if its the same over east, but here they shorten all thier words for example bunbury is bunno, busselton is busso, the kids play on the tramp not the trampoline!!!!