British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you not like about living in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-oz-674803/)

dickydavies Jul 27th 2010 7:39 pm

Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Ozzies thinking that their accent is easily understandable and snorting at regional UK accents which made the Ozzy accent what it actually is today.
Their ignorance is quite astonishing at times and half of them ain't even been out of Australia!

moneypenny20 Jul 27th 2010 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by dickydavies (Post 8733944)
Ozzies thinking that their accent is easily understandable and snorting at regional UK accents which made the Ozzy accent what it actually is today.
Their ignorance is quite astonishing at times and half of them ain't even been out of Australia!

Mass generalisation alert!

Buzzy--Bee Jul 27th 2010 9:04 pm

The people I work with who have regional UK accents do not get any piss taking from the Ozzies, they get it more from me! I have regular banter with the northerners I work with about how they work down coal mines and own whippets, they give me heaps about drinking shandy, and the ozzies can't understand any of it!

BB

DeadVim Jul 27th 2010 9:14 pm

Do you still have the There's Something About Mary hair?

moneypenny20 Jul 27th 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8734164)
Do you still have the There's Something About Mary hair?

That was such a crap movie.

BadgeIsBack Jul 28th 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8734134)
The people I work with who have regional UK accents do not get any piss taking from the Ozzies, they get it more from me! I have regular banter with the northerners I work with about how they work down coal mines and own whippets, they give me heaps about drinking shandy, and the ozzies can't understand any of it!

BB

Been a while since I met a Northerner at work...

there was one on a CFA course and he had such an extreme accent that I was asked to translate - I was no help either...

expatasia Jul 28th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8734558)
Been a while since I met a Northerner at work...

there was one on a CFA course and he had such an extreme accent that I was asked to translate - I was no help either...

Nowt wrong wi' Northerners, lad.

ozzieeagle Jul 28th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 8734134)

BB

Yehp I love the confusion this causes the Aussies with the 4 UK blokes at our workplace. I'm the only Londoner the rest are from T'North. The Aussies just know we are quite different but they cant work out how or why.

Therein is a topic.... my wife is the only Aussie I know of that can tell a Northerner from a Southerner by their accent.... I'm sure there are many others. Shes the only one I know off though... must be just the married ones.