British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What do you not like about living in OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-do-you-not-like-about-living-oz-674803/)

merv63 Jul 3rd 2010 1:19 pm

Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 8674350)
I'm talking MY country cousins Floss - they're pretty rough around the edges (not the ones you went to school with either - other side of the family). But as I said, I love them anyway. :) I love Bunbury - fondest memories of my childhood are drop netting down the estuary, carrying cardboard over to the sand dunes, the skating rink, those blue light discos they had in that old hall thing near the original shopping centre in town. My husband's brother-in-law's family bought the old Giacci house and converted it into a respite care facility about ten years ago and a few years back we spent Easter there when all the patients had gone home - it was a blast.

I wasn't bagging Bunbury, just the guy who reckons he finds nothing but people who say "beer o'clock" and drive pissed passed the primary school on Fridays. Met up with Poitin night before last to say happy journey and see you on the other side. When do you head back?

maybe you should spend some more time here in bunbury, from 2.30pm on a friday afternoon the drive though liquor stores are more busy than the london underground in rush hour!!! i wasnt bagging bunbury either just stating facts.

merv63 Jul 3rd 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8675698)
Back on topic

On days like today (and why is it worse at weekends) - the bloody wildlife that rachets up the volume to be louder than a 747. Cockatoos are the worst followed closely by the magpies, currawongs and indian mynahs.
The weather - hot summer days when you darent go out of the house for fear of being burned to a crisp and have your skin turn into old bootleather as you sprint from one airconditioned environment to another and on the other hand, the cold weather in houses that werent built for the cold with shocking insulation and piss poor heating which costs a bomb to run.
The arrogant Aussie Aussie Aussie oy oy oy at every turn, how Australia is bigger, better, more wonderful than paradise on a stick. A bit of nationalism is OK but this is adolescent in the extreme.
The driving - never encountered so many tail-gaters, cutters-in and generally people who cannot drive round a roundabout to save their lives and no courtesy at all.
The boring blandness of the scenery - mile after mile of eucalyptus and bark drop and the long distances you have to drive to get to anything that is vaguely different.
The PC intrusion into everything you do - the nanny state personified! All rights and no responsibilities.
The superficiality of friendships - here today and gone tomorrow and all out for what they can get out of you.
Lack of history relevant to me - a few grinding stones and myths about natural features dont really interest me in the least.
The flies (and mozzies).
The cost of airfares out of the place - why is it that flying out of Australia is so damned expensive compared with the same flights bought in UK?

That'll do to start with - and blame it on the dawn cacophony, no one should be awake at this time of day on a weekend!

lol i like it!!!! and all true especially the bit about the friends here today and gone tomorrow. and they are after all they can get soooooooo true. well said

DeadVim Jul 3rd 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 8675896)
no the $2 coins to cover your feed will only be found AFTER lunchtime when you don't need them because they are so small

you only ever find them again at the end of the day when you empty your pockets or find them in the bottom of your handbag when you change bags!

not that I'm implying you have a handbag you understand :rofl:

My rucksack does contain an incredible amount of crap though ...

Big Man Jul 3rd 2010 9:59 pm

I love it here and havn't found many things that I don't like. However the cost of living is way higher than I thought and the TV is awful! The ad breaks make it unwatchable.

Pollyana Jul 3rd 2010 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8676376)
My rucksack does contain an incredible amount of crap though ...

So has mine - no cash, but I found 2 twiglets in there yesterday, absolute nectar! Not so sure about the London - Bristol train ticket or the pair of nail scissors - the latter having somehow been on flights to Cairns and back, undetected by security. Must speak to the rucksack's previous owner........ :blink:

ABCDiamond Jul 3rd 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8675698)
That'll do to start with - and blame it on the dawn cacophony, no one should be awake at this time of day on a weekend!

I wasn't, I didn't wake up till 9:00 am, then I had breakfast outside on the patio. :thumbup:

moneypenny20 Jul 3rd 2010 11:26 pm

As Alfresco said many moons ago, it's just not far enough away from the Mother. She got us on the phone last night :frown: However she did insert the hearing aid before calling this time so that made the conversation slightly more bearable.
Too cold in winter.
Best mate doesn't live here.
Don't have enough money. However that's not Australia's fault, it's mine apparently. According to someone who doesn't know me anyway. Must be true.
Nah, I'm struggling now.
$2 coin too small. Has anyone mentioned that?

Alfresco Jul 4th 2010 12:51 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8676613)

It looks quite big to me. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Dollar_Rev.jpg

gmralston Jul 4th 2010 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Big Man (Post 8676489)
I love it here and havn't found many things that I don't like. However the cost of living is way higher than I thought and the TV is awful! The ad breaks make it unwatchable.

100% right about the TV ads, they drive me bonkers

gmralston Jul 4th 2010 1:26 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8675922)
Blimey I totally agreed with 3/4's of that.

I dont get bothered by the birds, and the Drivers around here actually let you in... I've noticed a big difference around the rest of the Country on that one..... Sydney Rd couldnt function if they didnt let parked drivers back into the traffic flow.... easy to tell a non local... They do tailgate though..

Good observations Quoll and you can add my name to most of that.

I live near a set of traffic lights causing the cars back up outside the house and I always get let out very quickly and often cars coming the other way will stop to let me back in.

BadgeIsBack Jul 4th 2010 10:02 am

Originally Posted by gmralston (Post 8676758)
I live near a set of traffic lights causing the cars back up outside the house and I always get let out very quickly and often cars coming the other way will stop to let me back in.

I have to drive 10k before I sight my first set of lights. Bliss.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8676613)

What is it with you lot? ; - )

themerlin Jul 4th 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8674289)
Overused terms :
Gourmet
Boutique
Mate

And "European style"
For example "European style apartments" so they are small :confused:

Sherlock Holmes Jul 4th 2010 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8677422)
I have to drive 10k before I sight my first set of lights. Bliss.

65 ks from my nearest traffic lights. Blisser.

bcworld Jul 4th 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8677626)
65 ks from my nearest traffic lights. Blisser.

65 metres for me...complete with red light camera! :D

Sherlock Holmes Jul 4th 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8677645)
65 metres for me...complete with red light camera! :D

I thought a red light camera was something in certain areas of Amsterdam, till I got a fine notice.

Sorry to OP for going off subject...TV adverts are bloomin awful but I like the rest of the place.

gunn1 Jul 15th 2010 4:51 pm

There's lots of stuff I like - all the predictables, weather, outside lifestyle etc - but it does make me smile to read these and realise I'm not alone on my bad days... :D

In my time here, it comes down to
1. a level of aggression / competitiveness I didn't expect, and
2. a general lack of consideration for other people.

Driving? 1 & 2. Jingoism? Ditto. Manners, one-eyed sports commentators, the people who drop their smiles the moment they realise I'm not an Aussie... ditto, ditto, ditto. We won't be here forever, but hey, it's a great experience, I'm glad to be here and I'm bursting with character : )

alexa7 Jul 15th 2010 6:28 pm

racism (not because of the colour of your skin but because you are not australian)
brainwashing
australian humour
too far away from everything
no history...to be honest nothing to be proud of in oz except weather

ozzieeagle Jul 15th 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by alexa7 (Post 8705134)
racism (not because of the colour of your skin but because you are not australian)
brainwashing
australian humour
too far away from everything
no history...to be honest nothing to be proud of in oz except weather

Apologies for splitting hairs, but that racism really isnt, if your talking the 'Pom' thing, In this case it's Xenophobia (because we are all from European stock). Big difference in law.... Same issue different name I will grant you that, and I'll agree that it seems quite prevalent outside of Sydney and Melbourne.... Not sure about Adelaide ?.

moonsurfer Jul 15th 2010 7:04 pm

Singlism is a big thing here if you're past your twenties. It's the 'great hidden discrimination' in Oz. The tax system doesn't even recognise working singles even though their contribution makes up a large portion of tax revenue. If you're single and a female and over forty, get out fast.;)

BadgeIsBack Jul 16th 2010 12:14 am

Originally Posted by moonsurfer (Post 8705199)
Singlism is a big thing here if you're past your twenties. It's the 'great hidden discrimination' in Oz. The tax system doesn't even recognise working singles even though their contribution makes up a large portion of tax revenue. If you're single and a female and over forty, get out fast.;)

Australia is great for families - I recognise that. It's occured to me that a lot of people who don't like it are single - or maybe.

I like tea Jul 16th 2010 12:54 am

No cats eyes on road, lack of lane markings making driving difficult in dark or when wet.
Police Union too powerful in Qld.
Incompetent politicians of all parties but especially in Qld.
People pushing in and not queuing.
Educational sytem.
Lack of services, respite and accommodation for mentally ill and disabled.
Lack of social housing.
Tax system that allows rich people to own multiple houses, flats and offset these on their tax.
T.V. radio presenters who swear and abbreviate words.
Lack of transport infrastructure in Qld.

mark wool Jul 16th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 8705785)
No cats eyes on road, lack of lane markings making driving difficult in dark or when wet.
Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.
Tax system that allows rich people to own multiple houses, flats and offset these on their tax.

When u going home?

Sherlock Holmes Jul 16th 2010 1:08 am

Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.

Queensland sure comes in for a beating.....

I like tea Jul 16th 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8705802)
When u going home?

As soon as I am able.

DeadVim Jul 16th 2010 1:14 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8705696)
Australia is great for families - I recognise that. It's occured to me that a lot of people who don't like it are single - or maybe.

I thought that too ... I am guessing that people that are after 'stimulation' are less inclined to settle.

Personally, having seen some of the world and gained some perspective I have no doubts my daughter could be brought up in a far worse place.

And really, that is all that matters.

Back on topic - The driving around here REALLY does suck

DeadVim Jul 16th 2010 1:15 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8705816)
Queensland sure comes in for a beating.....

Unless you are talking Origin ;)

BadgeIsBack Jul 16th 2010 1:16 am

Originally Posted by gunn1 (Post 8704965)
the people who drop their smiles the moment they realise I'm not an Aussie

There's that wacky world again...:ohmy:

mark wool Jul 16th 2010 1:16 am

Originally Posted by I like tea (Post 8705818)
As soon as I am able.

Its a real shame but have talked to alot of people who seem to be taking the opportunity with the exchange rate to jump back to blighty. I can understand and wish you well. Its also a bit of a lame duck!

mark wool Jul 16th 2010 1:19 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8705828)
I thought that too ... I am guessing that people that are after 'stimulation' are less inclined to settle.

Personally, having seen some of the world and gained some perspective I have no doubts my daughter could be brought up in a far worse place.

And really, that is all that matters.

Back on topic - The driving around here REALLY does suck

I thought that too. I have now realised its not that crash hot here! HEY as parents you got to do what you think is right.

DeadVim Jul 16th 2010 1:25 am

Originally Posted by mark wool (Post 8705847)
I thought that too. I have now realised its not that crash hot here! HEY as parents you got to do what you think is right.

Well, I aint exactly suffering, I'm happy with my life ... I can see that if you want to be at the cutting edge then maybe BrisVegas isn't it tho!

I work, I play, Everyone I care about is healthy and the bills are paid ... Can't ask for more than that ...

mark wool Jul 16th 2010 1:31 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8705854)
Well, I aint exactly suffering, I'm happy with my life ... I can see that if you want to be at the cutting edge then maybe BrisVegas isn't it tho!

I work, I play, Everyone I care about is healthy and the bills are paid ... Can't ask for more than that ...

Cant fault you pal I just think this country has huge problems which hopefully if you arrived here at the right time you may be able to avoid it. JUST!

ProudVIC Jul 16th 2010 1:36 am

Queensland may have the best climate in the country but it is basically the least European and most 'Aussie' part of the country along with most of the tropics and outback locations. If you are coming over here from the UK and don't want to experience any culture shock or a vastly different geography and environment then perhaps the south eastern part of the country is the best option.

To tell you the truth I would not want to live in QLD either for many of the same reasons that have been brought up on here. QLD often gets jibes from the south eastern states about being racist, redneck and backwards and they respond by saying all Melburnians are latte sipping, full of themselves and elitist. All generalisations I guess but certainly there is a big element of truth to what I said in the first paragraph.

Coryate Jul 16th 2010 1:38 am

Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.

So not really that much different from Britian..except for the TV and Radio presenters....oh wait...Russell Brand and Johnathon Ross...

Sherlock Holmes Jul 16th 2010 1:45 am

Educational sytem.
Lack of social housing.

Plenty of cat's eyes here in Vic..and we are in the middle of nowhere. Funny old world, ain't it.

Coryate Jul 16th 2010 1:46 am

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 8705882)
Queensland may have the best climate in the country but it is basically the least European and most 'Aussie' part of the country along with most of the tropics and outback locations. If you are coming over here from the UK and don't want to experience any culture shock or a vastly different geography and environment then perhaps the south eastern part of the country is the best option.

To tell you the truth I would not want to live in QLD either for many of the same reasons that have been brought up on here. QLD often gets jibes from the south eastern states about being racist, redneck and backwards and they respond by saying all Melburnians are latte sipping, full of themselves and elitist. All generalisations I guess but certainly there is a big element of truth to what I said in the first paragraph.

As a Brisbanite, and having lived in Melbourne and Sydney, now just outside London. I have to agree.
Melbourne can be a great place to live, but then I was lucky as I was living in Exhibition St.

Brisbane is dull...really dull...not even up to boring.

But racism is the same pretty much everywhere in Australia, and oddly enough it's back here in the UK as well.

Coryate Jul 16th 2010 1:52 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8705908)
Plenty of cat's eyes here in Vic..and we are in the middle of nowhere. Funny old world, ain't it.

A friend of mine used to install them out in regional Victoria, well those reflector posts you find beside the roads.
But there was one time when they would come back Monday morning to find whole stretches of them had been knocked down.
So one of the mangers got a bit sick of this and put a post in concrete.
Monday morning....a long line of posts knocked out and a bunch of glass around the concreted one.
Funny enough that's when the problem went away :lol:

Alfresco Jul 16th 2010 2:02 am

I'm sure it allows poor people to own multiple houses and offset these on their tax too!

Sherlock Holmes Jul 16th 2010 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Coryate (Post 8705923)
A friend of mine used to install them out in regional Victoria, well those reflector posts you find beside the roads.
But there was one time when they would come back Monday morning to find whole stretches of them had been knocked down.
So one of the mangers got a bit sick of this and put a post in concrete.
Monday morning....a long line of posts knocked out and a bunch of glass around the concreted one.
Funny enough that's when the problem went away :lol:

You'll be please to know that we have posts and cat's eyes now..some of the newer eyes are orange..very posh..and the reflector posts are now mounted on springs and pop back up again...once upon a time...someone had the lovely job of painting them all..now they are plastic.

However, none of this prevents roo strike in Strathdownie!!:)

Officer Dibble Jul 16th 2010 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8705957)
I'm sure it allows poor people to own multiple houses and offset these on their tax too!

If someone owns multiple properties are they really poor?

Alfresco Jul 16th 2010 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble (Post 8705995)
If someone owns multiple properties are they really poor?

They might be if they bought them for more than they were worth and then the housing bubble burst and they are now all in negative equity. ;)