Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning to nurses coming to WA

warning to nurses coming to WA

Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:01 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning to nurses coming to WA

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there) That its the Academic and not the General one. I made the mistake of sitting general one for the visa and had to pay another $300 to do the Academic one. ( by the way i got top marks in both).
By the time i had gathered all the paperwork again and booked the next exam in Perth it took me 5 months to get registered here. Luckily my husband was working.
As a Senior Nurse for many years I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading.
Hi Evelyn

All nurses emigrating to Australia have to sit the academic IELTS now.

I think we should regard it as a good thing, even though it's a pain in the backside!
I'm sure we've all worked with staff who didn't have a great command of English, and we know the trouble it can cause.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
I too would have found this humilating and degrading but Australia is such a rules oriented country that I'm not surprised. Aussies love rules as I've said many times before. I'm also disappointed that some posters on this forum seem to delight in trying to make people look foolish. They only make themslves look childish.
I'm sorry but I fail to see why it would be humiliating or degrading. You know you're competency in the English language but DIAC and other Government Departments don't know you from a hole in the ground. They want proof of a certain level.

The only time I can imagine be humiliated would be if I took the tests and failed. Still can't imagine feeling degraded though. Electricians need to get retested and licenced when they arrive, as do many other trades. No different, yes it's obviously irritating but nothing more surely.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm sorry but I fail to see why it would be humiliating or degrading. You know you're competency in the English language but DIAC and other Government Departments don't know you from a hole in the ground. They want proof of a certain level.

The only time I can imagine be humiliated would be if I took the tests and failed. Still can't imagine feeling degraded though. Electricians need to get retested and licenced when they arrive, as do many other trades. No different, yes it's obviously irritating but nothing more surely.

I'm not even going to start correcting your grammatical errors.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys can we all please try and keep the personal remarks and abusive comments out of this thread. Remember not everyone has the same level of English language skills, and not everyone on this forum is a native English speaker, so please be nice.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Because that's relevant.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

MP doesn't have to do an IELTS so she can make all the grammatical errors she likes. If you're in the position where you have to do such a test then you should really be brushing up on your English skills.

Originally Posted by Dills
......post edited due to personal quote deleted
What a bizarre thing to say?? Why would it matter to you if Bermudashorts was in the UK or not? Do you come into contact with her? No. Does her being in or out of the country affect you in the slightest way? No. Wind your neck in.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; May 3rd 2010 at 5:50 am. Reason: Apologies Louise86 - edited the quote as it's been deleted by Sue / Admin
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

fancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nicefancy is just really nice

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there) That its the Academic and not the General one. I made the mistake of sitting general one for the visa and had to pay another $300 to do the Academic one. ( by the way i got top marks in both).
By the time i had gathered all the paperwork again and booked the next exam in Perth it took me 5 months to get registered here. Luckily my husband was working.
As a Senior Nurse for many years I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading.
Is the IELTS difficult for a native English Speaker I know this sounds like a silly question but someone told me it is actually tricky!! I need to do it for nursing too, hoping to move to perth next winter.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:25 am
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fancy
Is the IELTS difficult for a native English Speaker I know this sounds like a silly question but someone told me it is actually tricky!! I need to do it for nursing too, hoping to move to perth next winter.
Dont worry about the exam - its not difficult for English speaking persons. It is tricky - you just have to be sure and concentrate and listen well. I think if you google it you will be able to find examples of the format and questions. Its not difficult though - you will pass okay.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I thought it was only the Spain thread, that pulled folks up on grammar and spelling.
Nah! There are anally retentive tossers all over BE!

To the OP, you need to toughen up a little. The real humiliation is when you apply for jobs & your years of senior experience allow you to achieve a level 1 position!
Good luck!

Last edited by Sally Simpson; May 3rd 2010 at 5:29 am.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi Evelyn

All nurses emigrating to Australia have to sit the academic IELTS now.

I think we should regard it as a good thing, even though it's a pain in the backside!
I'm sure we've all worked with staff who didn't have a great command of English, and we know the trouble it can cause.
Even people from Dorset should be able to pass it. It's People from Somerset is where the difficulties may begin. If there is an Oral component how would they know if a Geordie is answering correctly ?

Besides with a surname like O'Neill, whos to say the OP wasn't a native Gaelic speaker ?