Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning to nurses coming to WA

warning to nurses coming to WA

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:12 am
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future
Default warning to nurses coming to WA

Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there) That its the Academic and not the General one. I made the mistake of sitting general one for the visa and had to pay another $300 to do the Academic one. ( by the way i got top marks in both).
By the time i had gathered all the paperwork again and booked the next exam in Perth it took me 5 months to get registered here. Luckily my husband was working.
As a Senior Nurse for many years I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:51 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning to nurses coming to WA

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there)
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:53 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Well done. This sort of flagrant disregard for English grammar is a scourge that needs to be stamped out.

Carry on. As you were.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

As a Senior Nurse for many years I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading.
Isn't that a tad OTT?

I had to take an IELTS test in order to get a visa due to particular rules for accountants. There was no allowance made for me because I am a senior accountant with many years experience (and a native English speaker) but I certainly did not find anything humuliating or degrading about the experience. Just got on with it and forgot about it afterwards.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there) That its the Academic and not the General one. I made the mistake of sitting general one for the visa and had to pay another $300 to do the Academic one. ( by the way i got top marks in both).
By the time i had gathered all the paperwork again and booked the next exam in Perth it took me 5 months to get registered here. Luckily my husband was working.
Is this one of those instances where saying "I was a bit cheesed off" is more accurate doesn't have the same impact as "I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading".

If you found taking an extra English test humiliating and degrading, I'd suggest getting on the next available flight back to the UK. Would've thought that as a "Senior Nurse for many year" you'd have a bit of a thicker skin.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:23 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

I would need to do one to get the extra point for my PR and I am an English Teacher!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
I would need to do one to get the extra point for my PR and I am an English Teacher!!
...why did you use a capital 'T' on teacher then?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The old inappropriate use of capitals chestnut. I was thinking something similar about the "Senior Nurse" who did the wrong IELTS test because she can't follow simple instructions.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK authorities brought the SAME rule into the UK as of 1 Feb 2007. The ANMC only brought theirs in on 1 July 2009. I can remember my wife raving about the rule in the UK and how stupid it was considering that Australian/Canadian/Kiwi nurses had to do the test but almost all EU nurses were exempted despite the fact their English language skills could be awful.

The website also clear that it is the academic test.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The old inappropriate use of capitals chestnut. I was thinking something similar about the "Senior Nurse" who did the wrong IELTS test because she can't follow simple instructions.
You both failed to point out the inappropriate use of multiple exclamation marks. I claim today's grammar nazi trophy with pride!

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
I claim today's grammar nazi trophy with pride!
Very nearly, however I'm sure that should be a capital 'N' and therefore the prize is null and void.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:54 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
You both failed to point out the inappropriate use of multiple exclamation marks. I claim today's grammar nazi trophy with pride!

Cheers

Steve
Isn't Nazi a proper noun?

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Apr 22nd 2010 at 5:06 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Isn't Nazi is a proper noun?
I've heard they were proper ******s?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:07 am
Banned

Very nearly, however I'm sure that should be a capital 'N' and therefore the prize is null and void.
You beat me to it!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Fine, you win. You can have today's trophy. I'm off to perform apostroectomies on some documents.

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.