Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning to nurses coming to WA

warning to nurses coming to WA

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: warning to nurses coming to WA

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Is this one of those instances where saying "I was a bit cheesed off" is more accurate doesn't have the same impact as "I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading".

If you found taking an extra English test humiliating and degrading, I'd suggest getting on the next available flight back to the UK. Would've thought that as a "Senior Nurse for many year" you'd have a bit of a thicker skin.

Cheers

Steve
I can understand Evelyn's reaction. When a country will let you go and live there because your skills are needed, and you are investing your family's future in that country, it is a bit gruelling to jump through hoops and asking, "How high shall I jump, sir?" at the same time.

I was accepted as a skilled migrant and when I got to Perth I went to various office recruitment agencies for interviews. At one I was tested for 3 hours on various skills. They had no understanding of the complex office jobs I had been doing in London.

It's very easy to make mistakes on paperwork at the best of times for some of us. When you're a mum carrying out a mixed bag of functions, just add in a bit of stress, such as the migration process, and some tasks can go a bit awry. Putting in a UK passport application for three of 3 last week nearly finished me off.

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Fine, you win. You can have today's trophy. I'm off to perform apostroectomies on some documents.

Cheers

Steve
The 3 hours of test mentioned above included a comprehension/grammar section. After 3 hours, I was asked back in to talk to the consultant about the results and was told that I had got an answer wrong. I asked which one, so that I would not make the same mistake again. The question had given 2 samples - its and it's - and I had to choose the one meaning "belonging to it". I chose its and she marked it wrong. I said that I was sure that I had got it right, and she said, "No, a lot of people get that one wrong". I said, "A lot of people are getting it right because your answer book is wrong". She refused to believe it.

Needless to say, I never got any work through that agency! Since then, I've seen many businesses who've had signposts, shop signs, brochures, websites, etc, made - all with inappropriate apostrophes.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the ribbing that takes place between established members having some banter. But this isn't one of those occasions, and some of the responses in this thread aren't welcoming at all. Not the way to make a new member feel welcome is it. Just give some thought to how you would feel if you were new and people responded to your posts in the same manner.

Thanks

Sue
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue
I understand the ribbing that takes place between established members having some banter. But this isn't one of those occasions, and some of the responses in this thread aren't welcoming at all. Not the way to make a new member feel welcome is it. Just give some thought to how you would feel if you were new and people responded to your posts in the same manner.

Thanks

Sue
Question mark required perhaps?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Question mark required perhaps?
It wasn't a question
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was only the Spain thread, that pulled folks up on grammar and spelling.

We have the "ny" brigade who patrol the threads to look for the little squiggle that goes on the "n" in Espana.

They seem to forget that Engish keyboards are "squiggleless"
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Thanks

Sue
You're so cute when you're angry....
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

They obviously want the Brits coming in to be tip top in the grammar department to raise Aussie standards!

Makes you laugh as the grammar and spelling out here in advertising, brochures, restaurant boards and all sorts of things isn't the best!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by koalakim
They obviously want the Brits coming in to be tip top in the grammar department to raise Aussie standards!

Makes you laugh as the grammar and spelling out here in advertising, brochures, restaurant boards and all sorts of things isn't the best!
Maybe the reason for that is that for far too long the have been letting Brits in without checking their language skills.....
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:35 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
You're so cute when you're angry....
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Well said Sue!

I'm shocked at the grief the OP is getting on here. I'd be humiliated too if I had to sit an English exam, depsite it being my first language. I think she has right to be annoyed about it. I do understand that there is a serious need to ensure that people who work in the medical profession can communicate clearly but still and all I think most people can see her point of view.

And why the bitchy and vitriolic remarks on her post? Sometimes this place is so snotty and whiny...
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by West Vic
Well said Sue!

I'm shocked at the grief the OP is getting on here. I'd be humiliated too if I had to sit an English exam, depsite it being my first language. I think she has right to be annoyed about it. I do understand that there is a serious need to ensure that people who work in the medical profession can communicate clearly but still and all I think most people can see her point of view.

And why the bitchy and vitriolic remarks on her post? Sometimes this place is so snotty and whiny...
Join the queue please....
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Sue!

Whilst not ideal replies for the OP they can hardly be called bitchy and vitriolic Normal harmless pee taking replies if it were to an 'oldie', not warranted to a 'newbie' though.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Well....no I think they were bitchy and vitriolic. How is the newbie supposed to know that it is just gentle ribbing? If it came across as bitchy etc to me then i'm sure it did to her too.

I'm sure it'll be the last we see of her on here! I can't be bothered anymore. Goodbye and good luck from me!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Well....no I think they were bitchy and vitriolic. How is the newbie supposed to know that it is just gentle ribbing? If it came across as bitchy etc to me then i'm sure it did to her too.

I'm sure it'll be the last we see of her on here! I can't be bothered anymore. Goodbye and good luck from me!
Very poor effort. All flounces should be acocmpanied by their own thread!

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:07 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Make sure when you sit your IELTS English exam to prove you can speak English ( Even though your degree is from an English speaking University - lets not go there) That its the Academic and not the General one. I made the mistake of sitting general one for the visa and had to pay another $300 to do the Academic one. ( by the way i got top marks in both).
By the time i had gathered all the paperwork again and booked the next exam in Perth it took me 5 months to get registered here. Luckily my husband was working.
As a Senior Nurse for many years I found the whole episode quite humiliating and degrading.

I too would have found this humilating and degrading but Australia is such a rules oriented country that I'm not surprised. Aussies love rules as I've said many times before. I'm also disappointed that some posters on this forum seem to delight in trying to make people look foolish. They only make themslves look childish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.