Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:47 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

Originally Posted by DCS
this is what the program i spoke about 'new life down under' did i wish i could get that series on dvd/video
Was this one on a long time ago on BBC2?

Agree with all that they have not made a good programme. I think a lot of it is cost, that includes time for researchers etc and it's easier sending a small crew with the family and leave a presenter recording on a beach without meeting the family. It is far too lightweight for me and all the card turning :curse: and flash backs mean it is far shorter than 45mins - do they really think we have forgotten something from 20mins ago! Now, where did I put my car keys...

On Sky, they offer "Deadly Down Under" and "Australia's Deadliest Destinations", far more realistic

Cooler
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I just looked up a new life downunder and I remember it now - especially the hairdresser (Skeggs family) who built their own house in Perth and the fitness woman with her 2 kids and the boyfriend who shipped his car over and they then split up so he went back!

It was a good show.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Was this one on a long time ago on BBC2?

Agree with all that they have not made a good programme. I think a lot of it is cost, that includes time for researchers etc and it's easier sending a small crew with the family and leave a presenter recording on a beach without meeting the family. It is far too lightweight for me and all the card turning :curse: and flash backs mean it is far shorter than 45mins - do they really think we have forgotten something from 20mins ago! Now, where did I put my car keys...

On Sky, they offer "Deadly Down Under" and "Australia's Deadliest Destinations", far more realistic

Cooler
Surely if they had families that were going out already and agreed to be on the show and progress filmed in exchange for say the plane tickets the BBC wouldn't be much if worse off at all ?

I've seen those programs and it's interesting to see the creepy crawlies but the 3 times i've been to Oz i've only ever seen 2 huntsmen and a harmless lizard !
No snakes, no dangerous spiders, no sharks, no jellyfish, i'm not doubting they exist and while the program is much more interesting and more worthwhile watching I think they should explain what ppls chances are of coming into contact with each critter etc
Hubby was give a chart by a friend when we lived over there and it told us where each type of snake, spider etc could be found, most active time of year, chances of coming into contact with them and first aid advice etc
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I just looked up a new life downunder and I remember it now - especially the hairdresser (Skeggs family) who built their own house in Perth and the fitness woman with her 2 kids and the boyfriend who shipped his car over and they then split up so he went back!

It was a good show.
Mandy Skeggs wasn't a hairdresser she was a nurse.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:28 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Mandy Skeggs wasn't a hairdresser she was a nurse.
and all she did was moan about everything not really an advocate for emigrating
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
and all she did was moan about everything not really an advocate for emigrating
She was right about the traffic lights in Perth though, you could knit a sweater!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:14 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boo2008
Pop! Just putting on my whinging hat.... ...but yeah I'm with you. It seems like we've been researching our move forever and these people go over and go.."oh, so we can't get a massive house on the beach, work ten hours a week and have no mortgage??" And if the families have a budget why do the makers of the show insist on showing them places way out of their reach??

I especially liked the 'dad' who said he 'just couldn't go on' if his daughter left...thanks dad!!!

Hmm - I think I'm just bitter that I'm not getting a free week in Oz!

Boo
couldnt have put it better myself
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:33 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
She was right about the traffic lights in Perth though, you could knit a sweater!
I liked her, she was a pretty typical Perth Pom IMO.