Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Van Nguyen Execution

Van Nguyen Execution

Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:11 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Nguyen Execution

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Amnesty are the biggest bunch of armchair left wing bleeding heart liberal t***pots ever to sit on their fat ar**s. Don't listen to a word of their human rights crap.
Frankly I'm very glad that some people DO listen to their human rights "cr**" as you put it. Without some of the work they do some of the worst cases of human rights abuses in the world would go unnoticed.

Thousands of women being mutilated and raped each year, prisoners tortured and killed. I'm glad your so comfortable with human suffering whilst you sit in your nice comfy house....

Nothing in this world is perfect, including that organisation, but they certainly contribute more to it than attitudes like that I'm afraid.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:12 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

If they dont execute him then that makes it easier for the next idiot to go through. There is no doubt that death penalty will stop some people doing it , i wouldnt bloody do it thats for sure so there's at least one. Would I do it for 5 million dollars and bear the risk of 5 years in jail, yeah maybe (im joking) but would I do it if the potential max risk was death... er no.

Its sad indeed, but the law is the law and he knowingly did something that would/could harm 26,000 people. The singaporians have a fair point, dont muck about with our country or we'll take it seriously and the consequences will be harsh.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Amnesty are the biggest bunch of armchair left wing bleeding heart liberal t***pots ever to sit on their fat ar**s. Don't listen to a word of their human rights crap.
If you are going to make a statement like that, can you back it up with some facts?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
What revenge..........?
Is that right the amount of drugs he was carrying enough to make 5% of Melboune addict... ?
I think the issue is over hyped... in news... there are 100 sorry 1000's killed in name of human rights no one to raise voice...
Why did we did not raise voice for Niger... that hungry place in Africa... why was it not the head line in all the news....
All news channel know is Leslie Michelle... only SBS gave fair justic to all the stories....
coming back... I think we as an australian has made hype of issue. We cannot go to Singapore and enfore or ask them to amend their law and then enfore sanctions... boys are we deplomat or a capitalist person like uncle sam..
its stupidity to carry drugs... as Mr. John Howard expressed 100's of times... and this case is not of 2 tablet its 400 + gms of drugs... senstive issue...
I have no soft corner of revenge... but trust if someone in our house is been addicted with the same... can we forgive such person..
Revenge because there's no possibility of redemption or correction to the persons behaviour - because they'r dead. And studies have shown that major crimes do not decrease when capital punishment is introduced.
So what else can the reason be? Basically "you have done so this so we are going to kill you".
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Death penalty for a drug mule is disproportionate to the crime. 15 years without parole is proportionate. Yes he knew the risks but that does not justify taking his life.

I really think that the UN should oblige that those countries that implement state executions use lethal injection instead of hanging/firing squads/decapitations.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1516178.htm

I was reading the link and it appears that Singapore is keen to kill Van Nguyen. Having watched Ray Martin last night (which I know is seriously economic with the truth) I was amazed at the number of Australians that didn't care about this poor man's life.

I accept he's an idiot for doing what he did and his mitigating circumstances are pretty poor. And I accept drug running is bad and he should go to jail for a long time. However I do not accept the argument that he knew the law and took the risk. When a country has antiquated laws that bear no proportionality to the crime, then we should stand against it. Execution for this crime is ridiculous and obviously serves no purpose in terms of deterrence. It is purely vengence perpetrated by an inhumane Government that has no value for human life and maintains antiquated values long disposed of by humanitariam nations.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul.
So far we have had stories of his smuggling drugs to help pay for his brother's legal bills, or his brother's gambling debts and that his brother was being heavied by crims to cough up. Whichever is true, or not, the stories keep morphing.

As a supposedly good citizen, first offense etc., he could have borrowed money to cover his brother or if the family was so much a family as they say they are then they could have taken taken a small mortgage and reported the threats to the police. There must have been other ways to raise the supposed $30K supposedly owing. This side smacks of stories and emotions being manipulated. And the same is happening here.

With all this drama etc I keep thinking of Barlow and Chambers of nearly 20 years ago. We had months of the same stuff leading up to their hanging in Malaysia. Two innocent travellers only bringing back a small amount (what for?) etc. About 12 months after they had been executed it turned out that they had done this more than a few times.

Singapore has all the rights in the world to draft and uphold their laws. We don't find then trying to interfere in our legal process.

He knew when he received his Australian passport that Asian countries had the death penalty for smuggling drugs. He knew when he picked up the consignment in Thailand or Vietnam that they both have the death penalty for drug smugglers and he knew that if he came via Singapore that they too have ........With 4 bloody great neon signs flashing at him at every major point of his journey, he still ignores what 4 different societies tell him. The mind boggles. He has to be a prime contender for one of this year's Darwin Awards.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
If you are going to make a statement like that, can you back it up with some facts?
Just do a google search, use the words communist liberal bleedin heart etc. etc. and make up your own mind. Take a look at their website and look at the causes they support. Note the absence of campaigns for the rights of victims blown up by car bombs and suicide bombers. Or the victims of drug pushers and dealers.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Just do a google search, use the words communist liberal bleedin heart etc. etc. and make up your own mind. Take a look at their website and look at the causes they support. Note the absence of campaigns for the rights of victims blown up by car bombs and suicide bombers. Or the victims of drug pushers and dealers.

They campaign against

1/ Violence against women

2/ Weapons

3/ Torture

4/ Death penalty

5/ Child soldiers

and are campaigning for refugees to have more rights.

That's good enough for me, I still find your statement bizarre?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:27 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ialibu
The mind boggles. He has to be a prime contender for one of this year's Darwin Awards.
Yup....
Pretty much what I said at the end of my last post.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

But are the Darwin awards choosen and presented before next Friday ? Otherwise it will have to be postumous !!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:22 am
Just Joined

alexc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eintracht
But are the Darwin awards choosen and presented before next Friday ? Otherwise it will have to be postumous !!!
I believe only exceptional awards AREN'T posthumous. By definition, you have to remove yourself from the gene pool to receive one.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:51 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexc
I believe only exceptional awards AREN'T posthumous. By definition, you have to remove yourself from the gene pool to receive one.
Correct!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cranni
I agree he should be strongly punished, but dont agree with the death penalty in this situation, after all how would you feel if it was your son, brother , he is somebodys son, and i feel for his family.
I agree he's someone son, brother,
but what about the son's brother's,daughter's,
ect !!!!!! of all of his victims everyone knows the law of these countries, if you cant do the time don't do the crime, all drug pushers deserve the death penalty both overseas and in Australia !!!!!!!

" do they care about their victims"

NO SYMPATHY HERE IM AFRAID
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

Abide by the laws of the country you are in..
exactly!!

There are so many aussies trafficking drugs in asia that this year about 15 have become high profile cases, high profile enough to stop the next bunch doing it, nope no way I find it unlikely young aussies dont know the laws of our asian neighbours, they know them alright but they are prepared to risk it for the money, knowing once they get get caught australia is expected to pick up the tab, and bail them out. Maybe thats why so many aussies are now tough on them, they are sick of hearing it, and paying for them .

Wait till the Bali 9 go on death row, are they supposed to get off too? one mother already wants compo from the aus government for not stopping them getting arrested Maybe they want a little stamp in their passports, aussie citizen drug smuggling OK

Doesnt stop me having sympathy for the mother, one letter in the paper today claimed shes not even allowed to hug the son before he dies, now that is a bit harsh, if its true.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1516178.htm

I was reading the link and it appears that Singapore is keen to kill Van Nguyen. Having watched Ray Martin last night (which I know is seriously economic with the truth) I was amazed at the number of Australians that didn't care about this poor man's life.

I accept he's an idiot for doing what he did and his mitigating circumstances are pretty poor. And I accept drug running is bad and he should go to jail for a long time. However I do not accept the argument that he knew the law and took the risk. When a country has antiquated laws that bear no proportionality to the crime, then we should stand against it. Execution for this crime is ridiculous and obviously serves no purpose in terms of deterrence. It is purely vengence perpetrated by an inhumane Government that has no value for human life and maintains antiquated values long disposed of by humanitariam nations.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul.
I agree totally, even though I was always in favor of the death penalty, but as I get older and now a parent too then my views have changed slightly, I now think it makes us no better than him if we kill him. It didn't deter him and won’t deter others. Trouble is I also don’t think it right to lock him up for ever at the taxpayers expense because now your punishing me for his crime. There has to be another punishment, one where he is made to somehow contribute to society, Maybe send him to me and he gets life slashing my fields, enough punishment for any man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.