Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Van Nguyen Execution

Van Nguyen Execution

Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Nguyen Execution

>> Ahh, the Straits Times, that Bastion of freedom of speech. <<

I know where you're coming from, but for accuracy of press information I wouldn't push the Australian media that much!

>> Rog, no offence mate, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the reason for the low drugs rate in Singapore is a combination of it being a Police State/ dictatorship, a strong social framework and the fact that you will get caught. <<

And your point is??

>> It is a well held view amongst academics that the Death Penalty has no value. <<

Academics? I rest my case!

>> Anyway, I've tried to get some numbers off the internet, but didn't have time to find much, but below is what I got. At the end of the day I wish people would be honest and admit that the Death penalty doesn't effect crime. Just say it, you like criminals to be killed. <<

I would have to agree that the death penalty doesn't "effect" crime! Criminals do. Having got that cheap riposte out of my system, and also not having the time to Google away all night, I would agree that you have to be very very careful when analysing the statistics on this. One example is that it's more difficult to get a murder conviction when the penalty is so final, so the pre- and -post abolition numbers bear little relation to each other. Also the statistical definitions tend to be changed.

I have seen no figures as to the murder rates in the Uk before and after abolition with all the factors like definitions and homicide categories being equalised. But I just don't remember the papers being full of homicide stories in the fifties to anything like the extent they are now.

Anyway, as I said before, I don't think the DP is appropriate for the case under discussion: only for murder one. Having said that, it's Singapore's right to apply it under their jurisdiction.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:20 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rog Williams One example is that it's more difficult to get a murder conviction when the penalty is so final, .[/QUOTE]
If you include countries that have the death penalty such as many states in USA you are incorrect.
The death penalty comes as part of the sentencing stage which follows the conviction therefore a jury doesnt have to be laden with guilt when deliberating thinking that an innocent man may be put to death.
In saying that, many an innocent man HAS been put to his death and its one more reason that the death penalty should not be an option.
Personally I think that life in jail would be a far worse sentence, I would sooner be dead than live my life inside.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy
Capital Punishment and Deterrence: Examining the Effect of Executions on Murder in Texas. Authors John Sorenson, Robert Wrinkle, Victoria Brewer, and James Marquart examined executions in Texas between 1984 and 1997. They speculated that if a deterrent effect were to exist, it would be found in Texas because of the high number of death sentences and executions within the state. Using patterns in executions across the study period and the relatively steady rate of murders in Texas, the authors found no evidence of a deterrent effect. The study concluded that the number of executions was unrelated to murder rates in general, and that the number of executions was unrelated to felony rates. (45 Crime and Delinquency 481-93 (1999)).
From Amnesty International: http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/engAMR510101998
The state of Texas executes more people than any other jurisdiction in the Western world. The death toll is astounding: of the 74 executions carried out in the United States of America (USA) during 1997, one-half (37) occurred in Texas, a record number since the reintroduction of the death penalty. Between the resumption of executions in 1977 and the end of 1997, the USA put to death 432 prisoners nationwide, with Texas alone accounting for one-third of the total (144).

From: Texas Crime Rates 1960 - 2000 http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/txcrime.htm

Texas Murder Rates Per 100,000 Inhabitants

1970 11.6
1971 12.1
1972 12.4
1973 12.8
1974 13.7
1975 13.4 Death Penalty brought back in 1975
1995 9.0
1996 7.7
1997 6.8
1998 6.8
1999 6.1
2000 5.9 Murder rate halved ? There may be other reasons for this.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:46 am
ABCDiamond

The UK Murder rate figures can be seen at http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib...9/rp99-056.pdf

Check on the figures on pages 9 and 10, and it shows a rise in the murder rate from 6.8 per million in 1965 (325 total) to 14.1 per million in 1997. (738 total)
Doubling since the death penalty was withdrawn.

Current figures are showing about 850 murders, ie 15% higher than 1997.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
a while back on this thread peeps were talking about punishment for paedophilia/ ephebophilia (adults abusing 12/13 - 16yr olds)....

if convicted of rape gary glitter faces death by firing squad. d'you think there'll be as much difference in opinion (in the press for example) of the appropriateness of this punishment as compared to drug running.... and if there is why?

just wondering!

f
x

The pervert should have been shot years ago. If for no other reason than his music is crap.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The UK Murder rate figures can be seen at http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib...9/rp99-056.pdf

Check on the figures on pages 9 and 10, and it shows a rise in the murder rate from 6.8 per million in 1965 (325 total) to 14.1 per million in 1997. (738 total)
Doubling since the death penalty was withdrawn.

Current figures are showing about 850 murders, ie 15% higher than 1997.
Thanks.

I think this argument is a rather futile one in some ways: I have a gut reaction that the DP is suitable for some premeditated murders and must help as a deterrent: others' gut feeling is that it is wrong under any circumstances. N'err the twain shall meet.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Thanks.

I think this argument is a rather futile one in some ways: .
I agree completely.

In some cases it will act as a deterrent, when the original act is considered carefully, but in cases where it isn't thought out, it has little effect, if any.

When looked at from the aspect of murder, I sometimes wonder about an example such as:

A serious crime is committed, with a penalty of say 15 years IF caught. But kill the only witness, and the penalty may only be 20 years, and maybe less chance of being caught. ?

Having known a murder victim, and there was absolute zero doubt about guilt, I do believe in the Death Penalty for that specific offence., but not where there is even the slightest doubt.

This whole thing about one country trying to override another countries laws, however is a different matter. As I said before, how would we like it if Singapore tried to force us to change our laws and make them tougher. (OK, bad example, many of us would agree )

Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Thanks.

I think this argument is a rather futile one in some ways: I have a gut reaction that the DP is suitable for some premeditated murders and must help as a deterrent: others' gut feeling is that it is wrong under any circumstances. N'err the twain shall meet.
Thing is if it was premeditated murder, it means you really thought about it, planned it and therefore really really wanted to kill the person, surely in this circumstance no potential punishment would deter.

I personally think after giving this subject a lot of carefull thought to come up with a sensible punishment that was more likely to deter than death and be slightly more moral than executing someone. Cut off the guys meat and two veg!! No man wants to lose his horn so what greater deterrent and punishment than a like time with no fishing tackle! Gets my vote. Not sure what woman would miss that bad though.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:09 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
As I said before, how would we like it if Singapore tried to force us to change our laws and make them tougher. (OK, bad example, many of us would agree )
No thats wrong... we have to look at the trade deficit and surplus first... if they rely on us they cannot say, and if we do then we wont mind them tell us!

- Bart
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:11 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arkon
Thing is if it was premeditated murder, it means you really thought about it, planned it and therefore really really wanted to kill the person, surely in this circumstance no potential punishment would deter.
Then you would oppose Euthanasia my friend! Is that right?
- Bart
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Then you would oppose Euthanasia my friend! Is that right?
- Bart
Not sure what the youth in asia have to do with anything?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:22 am
Nos De Caraid...

Not sure what the youth in asia have to do with anything?
No No I was talking about sentimental thing here....
Generally people who oppose death penalty are soft and I thought they might dislike the concept of Euthanasia as well... again that is also killing...
The only difference between I see between both is, one is Mercy other needs Mercy ...
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:40 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
No No I was talking about sentimental thing here....
Generally people who oppose death penalty are soft and I thought they might dislike the concept of Euthanasia as well... again that is also killing...
The only difference between I see between both is, one is Mercy other needs Mercy ...
Well noones ever said I was soft or liberal, I'm a product of thatcher and normally quite right winged. six months ago I would have executed you for stealing my car. But then something wonderous happened.......We had our first and last child, Although I'm very right winged in outlook there is noway I'd support the DP anymore. Not fair on the family IMO. Chop his nuts off.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:09 pm
Nos De Caraid...

Well noones ever said I was soft or liberal, I'm a product of thatcher and normally quite right winged. six months ago I would have executed you for stealing my car. But then something wonderous happened.......We had our first and last child
Excuse me... I did not mean it to be hard on you.

I'm very right winged in outlook there is noway I'd support the DP anymore. Not fair on the family IMO. Chop his nuts off.
Way to goo... Mr. Howard now chop that bro's nails...
of 1st hand = he was involved in durgs
and 2nd hand = for execution of poor chap... (hes to be blamed)