Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Van Nguyen Execution

Van Nguyen Execution

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:55 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Van Nguyen Execution

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1516178.htm

I was reading the link and it appears that Singapore is keen to kill Van Nguyen. Having watched Ray Martin last night (which I know is seriously economic with the truth) I was amazed at the number of Australians that didn't care about this poor man's life.

I accept he's an idiot for doing what he did and his mitigating circumstances are pretty poor. And I accept drug running is bad and he should go to jail for a long time. However I do not accept the argument that he knew the law and took the risk. When a country has antiquated laws that bear no proportionality to the crime, then we should stand against it. Execution for this crime is ridiculous and obviously serves no purpose in terms of deterrence. It is purely vengence perpetrated by an inhumane Government that has no value for human life and maintains antiquated values long disposed of by humanitariam nations.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:07 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Van Nguyen Execution

Got no sympathy for the guy he knew what the outcome was if he got caught. Now he has to face the consequences which is death and its one way to get rid of the over population of jails. I heard there was rumblings of the death penalty back in England after the death of the WPC the other week.

Originally Posted by diddy

I was reading the link and it appears that Singapore is keen to kill Van Nguyen. Having watched Ray Martin last night (which I know is seriously economic with the truth) I was amazed at the number of Australians that didn't care about this poor man's life.

I accept he's an idiot for doing what he did and his mitigating circumstances are pretty poor. And I accept drug running is bad and he should go to jail for a long time. However I do not accept the argument that he knew the law and took the risk. When a country has antiquated laws that bear no proportionality to the crime, then we should stand against it. Execution for this crime is ridiculous and obviously serves no purpose in terms of deterrence. It is purely vengence perpetrated by an inhumane Government that has no value for human life and maintains antiquated values long disposed of by humanitariam nations.

Paul.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:12 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
Should have made this into a Poll!
Perosnally, I agree with most of what you say but disagree that he was not aware of the punishment of he committed the crime. If asked to smuggle drugs from A to B, the first thing anyone would do would be to check out the implications if caught. I would think.
I agree that death is harsh.
However, I have seen what drug addiction can do to people. It can turn people into crazed criminals that will break into your house and attack your family so that they can find money for their next fix. Of course it's a minority, but explain that to a victim!
Personally, I believe that anyone and everyone associated with HARD drugs should reap the consequences of the misery that they create.
I think countries like Australia should have harsher sentences making the importation harder, less on the street, less problems.
Van Nguyen was planning to bring his drugs here - I don't want them here. I think the best compromise (if death is not an option) is to throw him in jail and never let him out - but why should we, the taxpayers, pay for that! The money can best be used to treat drug addicts and victim support.

No sympathy from me on this issue

Andrew
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Those who support the death penalty, should also be willing to throw the switch or pull the lever.

Could be a different story with that outcome.

Only one case in recent history, where I would have been willing to and that was that scum Ivan Milat.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
I agree he should be strongly punished, but dont agree with the death penalty in this situation, after all how would you feel if it was your son, brother , he is somebodys son, and i feel for his family.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:14 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with your sentiments. Execution is this day and age is unacceptable given the alternatives available. Whilst this mans guilt is beyond doubt history has time and time again proved that innocent people have been executed. British history is full of such examples. Asian society is less open about such incidents. Bottom line is that there will be wrongful prosecutions and state sanctioned executions of innocents are enevitable if allowed to carry on.

In countries that corruption is rife there exists a higher risk of such miscarriages of justice. Could any of us here realistically condemn our sons or daughters to such a fate without fighting for what is a basic human fundamental right - the right to life.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:17 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think my original post was too clear. I am not saying he wasn't aware. I'm saying that simply because the law is in place, it doesn't necessarily make it right to have that law.

When you both say you have no sympathy, are you genuinely saying you do not care that a real human being will die, for no real purpose. It has no detterence effect. Others do it all the time (Bali 9). Is it not better that he spends 30 years in jail in the hope he realises what a twat he is and at some time in the future he seeks to make amends. I really see no point in his death other than vengence by the inhumane ignorant.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Got no sympathy for the guy he knew what the outcome was if he got caught. Now he has to face the consequences which is death and its one way to get rid of the over population of jails. I heard there was rumblings of the death penalty back in England after the death of the WPC the other week.

Granted he was stupid, but I thought that the plane he was on made an unexpected stop in Singapore and he was arrested in a transit lounge. I thought that a transit lounge is considered international territory (I might be wrong on that one.

WIth regards to the UK, yeah the idiot right wingers at Sky news were up in arms on that one. They are the same idiots who think that the UK should leave the EU (which it will have to being back the death penalty), and the council of Europe.

Capital punishment is an outdated and barbaric punishment under ALL circumstances.

As sad as it sounds, I don't think he will get off. I don't think the Australian government (or any government) can make the steadfast Singaporean government change their think on this matter.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Could any of us here realistically condemn our sons or daughters to such a fate without fighting for what is a basic human fundamental right - the right to life.
It's a shame Van Nguyen had no such scruples. He was clearly quite happy to contribute to the destruction of the lives of thousands of Australians (our sons and daughters).
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:21 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

The death penalty arises all the time in the UK when a Policeman or woman is murdered, as it does when events such as the Soham murders or the Terrorist bombings occur. As much as these events disgust me, I believe in humanity and will not take life out of anger or hatred.

Fortunately the UK politicians have the wisdom in this area to repeatedly refuse to allow the death penalty.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
He's an idiot, and clearly knew the risks but does not strike me as a drug lord. A long jail term would have been sufficient. Execution is unacceptable for this crime. That said, he did know what the punishment was so why the hell he attempted it is beyond me.
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally, no I dont support a death penalty primarily because until there is NO corruption, NO chance of an innocent person being put to death then you never REALLY know if the wrong person has been killed.

I dont really know enough about this specific case to really have an opinion. However I am totally against the smuggling of drugs and believe that far too many County's laws are too lenient.

Hels
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nickyc
It's a shame Van Nguyen had no such scruples. He was clearly quite happy to contribute to the destruction of the lives of thousands of Australians (our sons and daughters).
Oh, and I suppose you really care about the average smack head drop out on the street do you?

Try and understand people before you damn them.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:27 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I really see no point in his death other than vengence by the inhumane ignorant.
Guess that's me!
I agree with NickyC that summed it up in one good sentence.
I would flick the switch.
With regards to the Soham scum (etc!), I would peel off their skin with razor blades and soak them in salt and vinegar for as long as I could.
Then and again, I am inuhumane and ignorant when it comes to anyone inflicting cruelty onto other humans - esp. kids.
Reap what you sow.
What goes around comes around.
I do believe more countries should adopt the death penalty.
Think of the families of the innocent victims before the families of the criminal.

The ONLY concession I would make is that there would have to be 100% unquestionnable proof that the crime was committed.

Andrew
Old Nov 24th 2005, 5:29 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has its place I have always been of the opinion that if you take someones life (in cold blood) you should forfeit the right to your own also that life in prison should mean exactly that.

[QUOTE=dshole]Capital punishment is an outdated and barbaric punishment under ALL circumstances.QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.