British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Unemployment on the rise again. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/unemployment-rise-again-728218/)

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 1:40 am

Re: Unemployment on the rise again.

No way, in the same way Australia is nothing like it was 10 years ago, it is MUCH more expensive now for a start. I don't really see the relevance though.

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9556046)
Interesting. Do you think that it is the same UK as 10 years ago??

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9556047)
Well United are still Champions... so some things never change. :D

... and Everton are still shite so you are probably correct in your assumption :)

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9556052)
No way, in the same way Australia is nothing like it was 10 years ago, it is MUCH more expensive now for a start. I don't really see the relevance though.

I didn't live here 10 years ago so I can't comment. It has changed in 6 years for sure. I hope the UK is not the holiday destination you remember.

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 1:52 am

You hope it's NOT the holiday destination I remember ?

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9556057)
I hope the UK is not the holiday destination you remember.

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9556059)
You hope it's NOT the holiday destination I remember ?

You enjoy your chocolate box existence. Not everyone lives that life so don't assume that your life is everyone else's life. It is becoming as tiresome as the Perth is boring assumption!

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 1:55 am

I really have no idea what you are on about but that wouldn't be the first time. When have I ever said I assume everyones life is like mine ?

raven Aug 13th 2011 2:37 am

:(

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9554379)
No I don't but I've heard tales of people struggling to get work, in many different industries. I believe the real un(der)employment figure is much higher than stated, just like inflation.

I would agree.been here 5 years and work as a sub contractor in building industry. Seems to be less and less work out there every week

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 2:42 am

This is exactly why I get cranky when I hear from someone who has never lived here telling prospective migrants the economy is booming and there are plenty of jobs. It simply isn't the case.

Originally Posted by raven (Post 9556110)
:(

I would agree.been here 5 years and work as a sub contractor in building industry. Seems to be less and less work out there every week

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 2:44 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9556113)
This is exactly why I get cranky when I hear from someone who has never lived here telling prospective migrants the economy is booming and there are plenty of jobs. It simply isn't the case.

There you go again, that may be the case where you are but you cannot say the same about everywhere in Australia, the same way you generalise about the UK. You are in a little bubble. WA bucked the trend with unemployment going down this past period. Just because your little area of little England has low unemployment you assume the same is the case for the rest of the UK. Are you Grayling's apprentice?????

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 2:46 am

You really are quite offensive aren't you :D

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 2:47 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9556121)
You really are quite offensive aren't you :D

No more than you are ;)

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 2:49 am

I hadn't heard anything about that, it is devastating for an area that is so reliant on an industry.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9555895)
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/n...d/2257071.aspx

Looking like the third largest city in NSW is about to have its heart ripped out.

chris955 Aug 13th 2011 2:50 am

:D My Dad's bigger than yours.

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 9556124)
No more than you are ;)

northernbird Aug 13th 2011 2:51 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9556130)
:D My Dad's bigger than yours.

My Dad is lovely, he isn't big at all. He is a retired RAF/MOD employee who now spends most of his time on his 53ft canal boat. He wouldn't hurt a fly.

Bix Aug 13th 2011 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9555865)
So, is there a difference between a troll telling everyone how good it is in Aus and not living here and someone else telling us how good it is in the UK but not living there? :unsure:

Because the latter are not in short supply on here. :thumbup:

:lol: Made my day. :thumbup: