British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Unemployment on the rise again. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/unemployment-rise-again-728218/)

Rambi Aug 22nd 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Unemployment on the rise again.

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9574022)
How on Earth has this got anything to do with the UK ?

I think the post before Ozzie's introduced the UK as a comparison. :thumbup:

Bix Aug 22nd 2011 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9575661)
I think the post before Ozzie's introduced the UK as a comparison. :thumbup:

Indeed.
Like a stuck gramophone.

chris955 Aug 23rd 2011 12:24 am

Well the thing is when you have a Government telling it's people that the economy is booming and we are in great shape to weather the storm but we wont talk about manufacturing being at it's worst since the depression, retail tanking and building suffering we must believe those in the know. :)

Originally Posted by isgraham (Post 9575192)
Yes but I've been saying that the Australian economy is buggered for quite a while and many on here are in denial about it. Just more evidence. I completely agree that the UK is in a pretty bad state but the first thing you have to do to address the problems is admit they exist. I don't see too much of that in Australia yet. It's just a matter of time until the mega mortgages come home to roost.

Amazulu Aug 23rd 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9575918)
Indeed.
Like a stuck gramophone.

:D

pomtastic Aug 23rd 2011 4:15 am

Bank of America Merrill Lynch say another 100,000 Australian jobs could be lost from the economy by March next year.

The research also predicts unemployment could rise from 5.1 per cent to 6 per cent over the next six months.

It says that means the Reserve Bank will have to cut interest rates by November.

The analysts say financial conditions in Australia are now as tight as at any time since the 1990s.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-2...losses/2851552

Heard on ABC Perth radio this morning that 20,000 jobs have been lost since January, although hardly surprising.

chris955 Aug 23rd 2011 5:45 am

I think 100,000 is optimistic when you look at how everything but mining is struggling.
As far as the 5.1% does anyone actually believe that figure ?

Keith Moon Aug 23rd 2011 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9576359)
I think 100,000 is optimistic when you look at how everything but mining is struggling.
As far as the 5.1% does anyone actually believe that figure ?

This is a depressing thread, now my rock years are over, what will i do?

Is it really that bad over there, i left eighteen months ago, things were fine, do i have to return to put things right?

chris955 Aug 23rd 2011 8:09 am

The problem is that nowhere is escaping this global crisis, we are seeing a mining boom but that only accounts for a relatively small % of employment, all the other sectors are suffering.

Petals Aug 24th 2011 9:34 pm

Not everyone is losing their jobs the job market is changing yet again I believe. BHP is offering jobs to the workers who are being let go at Blue Scope although they will have to move to QLD and WA according to the news. This says that there are obviously opportunities in these States for workers.

The housing boom seems to have ceased, that said people have to live somewhere.

I do believe the high cost of housing is working against the building industry. The gov has to do something about negative gearing to stop investors from buying first home buyer type property which has become way too expensive. Only gave this concession so gov could stop building but its backfired big time.

On an up note things will be fine willing hands always find work.:D

iamthecreaturefromuranus Aug 24th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 9580105)
Not everyone is losing their jobs the job market is changing yet again I believe. BHP is offering jobs to the workers who are being let go at Blue Scope although they will have to move to QLD and WA according to the news. This says that there are obviously opportunities in these States for workers.

The real impact of the BSL closure is starting to hit home in the Illawarra. It's already an unemployment black spot and the loss of a 1000+ well paid jobs is likely to have a major impact on the city.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/n...s/2268015.aspx

Bosses paying themselves millions in bonus payments, the day before announcing mass job, cuts hasn't gone down too well either.

Rambi Aug 24th 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9580267)
The real impact of the BSL closure is starting to hit home in the Illawarra. It's already an unemployment black spot and the loss of a 1000+ well paid jobs is likely to have a major impact on the city.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/n...s/2268015.aspx

Bosses paying themselves millions in bonus payments, the day before announcing mass job, cuts hasn't gone down too well either.

Talking to one of the blokes who lost his job at Westernport and another one who kept his job, it sounds like Bluescope didn't handle the announcements very well. :(

iamthecreaturefromuranus Aug 24th 2011 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9580298)
Talking to one of the blokes who lost his job at Westernport and another one who kept his job, it sounds like Bluescope didn't handle the announcements very well. :(

I think the guys at Port Kembla were pretty resigned to the fact that cuts were coming, but the size of them was a shock and then to hear, that the same managers who had been telling them that cuts were inevitable, had just received a sizable bonus, changed the mood to one of anger, very quickly.

chris955 Aug 25th 2011 12:58 am

Of course not everyone is losing their jobs and to be offered a job in a different State isn't the solution if your life is where you currently are. I wouldn't move to the other side of the country for a job and I dare say quite a few others wouldn't.
I do agree though, willing hands always find work.

Originally Posted by Petals (Post 9580105)

The housing boom seems to have ceased, that said people have to live somewhere.

I do believe the high cost of housing is working against the building industry. The gov has to do something about negative gearing to stop investors from buying first home buyer type property which has become way too expensive. Only gave this concession so gov could stop building but its backfired big time.

On an up note things will be fine willing hands always find work.:D

joeyballantyne Sep 7th 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Keith Moon (Post 9576430)
This is a depressing thread, now my rock years are over, what will i do?

Is it really that bad over there, i left eighteen months ago, things were fine, do i have to return to put things right?

haha sorry keith i hardly check msgs and now it says i cant msg you - benowa is lovely, and it has my fave resort - royal pines, aboslute legend for weekend breaks, book yerself in! --- well i hope all works out for you coming back - next time i'm swanning at the resort i'll msg you, come share a beer! :thumbsup: