British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Unemployment on the rise again. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/unemployment-rise-again-728218/)

chris955 Aug 11th 2011 10:00 am

Unemployment on the rise again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14486128

Unfortunately with the mining sector being the only part of the economy booming and it only accounting for around 10% overall the majority of employers are finding times very tough and this is shown in the recent rise in unemployment.

brendarover Aug 11th 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Unemployment on the rise again.

The figures are so scewed in Oz, if you pop out for one hour a week in Oz, and run a mop over the floor of our local disco, then you are classed as employed..................;)

Finding a decent paying long term permy job in Oz. Well rock'in horse sh!t if you do not have a profession of some sort wich is recognised in Oz.

Rambi Aug 11th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by brendarover (Post 9553203)
The figures are so scewed in Oz, if you pop out for one hour a week in Oz, and run a mop over the floor of our local disco, then you are classed as employed..................;)

Finding a decent paying long term permy job in Oz. Well rock'in horse sh!t if you do not have a profession of some sort wich is recognised in Oz.

They could use someone with good mop skills in London at the mo. :thumbup:

killerhales Aug 11th 2011 11:59 pm

We don't exactly have a recruitment freeze at the moment, but we are certainly under pressure not to replace any leavers, and approval has to be obtained at two levels above (usually your boss is sufficient).

So there is no question in my mind that unemployment will continue to rise.

(I work for a relatively successful FMCG company but profits are down and financial pressures are much higher than even two years ago).

DeadVim Aug 12th 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9552406)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14486128

Unfortunately with the mining sector being the only part of the economy booming and it only accounting for around 10% overall the majority of employers are finding times very tough and this is shown in the recent rise in unemployment.

I saw BBC and thought you were actually going to post something negative about the UK. :rofl:

Grayling Aug 12th 2011 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Rambi (Post 9553706)
They could use someone with good mop skills in London at the mo. :thumbup:

needed them in Brisbane not long ago

Rambi Aug 12th 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 9553897)
needed them in Brisbane not long ago

True. Maybe that was artificially keeping the unemployment figures down. :thumbup:

chris955 Aug 12th 2011 1:40 am

No need, there are plenty of others more than happy to do that.

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9553882)
I saw BBC and thought you were actually going to post something negative about the UK. :rofl:

dave99 Aug 12th 2011 4:09 am

suprisingly the uk unemployment rate is 7.7% with aus being 5.1% I would have expected the uk to be much higher but I guess not

chris955 Aug 12th 2011 5:29 am

You would not be alone in that misconception.

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 9554197)
suprisingly the uk unemployment rate is 7.7% with aus being 5.1% I would have expected the uk to be much higher but I guess not

Amazulu Aug 12th 2011 5:57 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 9554197)

Unemployment percentages are a funny one. 3-3.5% is considered to be full employment as there are a certain % of people who are unemployable. 10% is considered to be horrific - yet 90% of people still have a job of sorts. So 5% is considered to be low, and 8% is therefore pretty high. 2-3% of the workforce of a 60m nation like the UK is still a hell of a lot of people. Consider this - in the great depression, some countries (like Australia) had 25% unemployment, yet 75% were still working and the world nearly fell apart.

It's sometimes hard to get your head around.

chris955 Aug 12th 2011 6:23 am

I find myself strangely agreeing with much of what you said but choosing not to quote you :lol:
There seems to be so little between the 7.7 in the UK and the 5.1 here that's it's hardly worth worrying about but some would have us believe that one country is paradise for work and the other is almost impossible to find work when neither is correct. In both countries over 90% are working/.

renth Aug 12th 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9554332)
In both countries over 90% are working/.

I don't believe this to be the case. In both countries the figures are horrifically manipulated to suit the government agendas, They don't count people with disabilities who want to work or people not on benefits for whatever reason or people who only work 1 hour a week when they want a full time job.

The unemployment figures are government statistics and as such should be assumed to be lies, just like the inflation figures.

Amazulu Aug 12th 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9554332)
I find myself strangely agreeing with much of what you said but choosing not to quote you :lol:
There seems to be so little between the 7.7 in the UK and the 5.1 here that's it's hardly worth worrying about but some would have us believe that one country is paradise for work and the other is almost impossible to find work when neither is correct. In both countries over 90% are working/.

No quote, no discussion. Sorry.

Amazulu Aug 12th 2011 6:41 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9554337)
I don't believe this to be the case. In both countries the figures are horrifically manipulated to suit the government agendas, They don't count people with disabilities who want to work or people not on benefits for whatever reason or people who only work 1 hour a week when they want a full time job.

The unemployment figures are government statistics and as such should be assumed to be lies, just like the inflation figures.

I hear what you are saying but do you really know anyone who is genuinely unemployed? I don't know anyone, apart from my wife and she's not looking and has not worked since 2003.