Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you should know before moving down under...

Things you should know before moving down under...

Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all
Default Re: Things you should know before moving down under...

Originally Posted by mecheng
I am likely stating the bleeding obvious but it appears your career in Australia is making the whole experience a nightmare for you. I agree that regardless of where you are, if all you do is work then any work-life balance goes out the window and you'll hate your situation. All I can suggest is looking for a job within a company and at least you won't feel so alone.
yes - somewhat but thanks anyway- unfortunately had come to that conclusion some time ago but no jobs where I live that pay anywhere near close to what I need to earn. Loneliness not an issue - homesickness completely different feeling - I am surrounded by lovely people - but they're still not my long standing close friends or family where trust is implicit and everything is natural. I actually just miss being with them and enjoying their company -its all quite simple really when you get down to it. What I have here is not enough to compensate for what I had in UK. And the OP's point is for those considering the move to also consider these issues I guess.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
The little face is presumably rolling on the floor and laughing because Australians can accept foreign-born people as legends. What a bunch of integrationist immigrant-accepting morons they are!
You shouldn't presume anything. Actually the little face is just laughing because they keep saying he is a home-grown Australian legend! When he's really just a weegie in disguise..It's very nice of them to adopt him as their own.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
You shouldn't presume anything. Actually the little face is just laughing because they keep saying he is a home-grown Australian legend! When he's really just a weegie in disguise..It's very nice of them to adopt him as their own.
OK fine - but he's not home-grown though, is he? He moved to Australia when he was five. He's a product of Australian culture and education.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The little face is presumably rolling on the floor and laughing because Australians can accept foreign-born people as legends. What a bunch of integrationist immigrant-accepting morons they are!
Just remember there are a lot of Aussies posting on here.....not the best example of how to make friends
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just remember there are a lot of Aussies posting on here.....not the best example of how to make friends
The comment is ironic.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Jimmy Barnes was exported from Glasgow at the tender age of 5 but he is considered by many to be a true australian legend. I'm not so keen myself - saw him at the G on Saturday and IMO he was screaming rather than singing and looked like he was going bright purple with the effort to boot!!
But each to their own I suppose, some people were loving it and anyway you look at it it was entertainment...
never realised

add him to the list of aussie icons born overseas

angus young
malcom young
bon scott
jon butler
ben lee
martin potter
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:16 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fific
yes - somewhat but thanks anyway- unfortunately had come to that conclusion some time ago but no jobs where I live that pay anywhere near close to what I need to earn. Loneliness not an issue - homesickness completely different feeling - I am surrounded by lovely people - but they're still not my long standing close friends or family where trust is implicit and everything is natural. I actually just miss being with them and enjoying their company -its all quite simple really when you get down to it. What I have here is not enough to compensate for what I had in UK. And the OP's point is for those considering the move to also consider these issues I guess.
Again probably stating the bleeding obvious but why not look elsewhere in Australia so you can be closer to the family. Must be demand for your position somewhere in Australia. In my opinion, the OP's position is that people have expectations that far outweigh the reality of where they're going. I believe that is true of any country someone intends to settle in. I'm not alone in experiencing that researching a place is one thing and being on the ground and experiencing reality can tend to be quite another.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
never realised

add him to the list of aussie icons born overseas

angus young
malcom young
bon scott
jon butler
ben lee
martin potter
Dont forget Aussie Joe Bugner.... very proudly Australian.

Errrm wasn't he an English hero, from Hungary ?

South African - English Cricket hero anyone

How about some English - West Indian footballers

Cap hat kettle black ...... ermm I'll get my coat

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 28th 2009 at 10:41 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Dont forget Aussie Joe Bugner.... very proudly Australian.

Errrm wasn't he an English hero, from Hungary ?

South African - English Cricket hero anyone

How about some English - West Indian footballers

Cap hat kettle black ...... ermm I'll get my coat

fair do

at least the aussie stars were brought up here

sports wise we take anyone we can get in england ....great great grandparents ..you will do
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:19 am
Just Joined

kirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant futurekirstiec has a brilliant future

Absolutely spot on comment Sally! - you are absolutely correct about the 'feeling you belong' bit. I lived in the USA for many years, and although I absolutely love the country and the way of life, not to mention how cheap it is to live there, I still missed my family & friends and even though making new friends there, I was not part of their group who had grown up together.
The jury is still out for me here in Oz as have only been here for 3 years so its still all new etc, but fingers crossed we will settle here.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

All of this is just a class thing. The lower down the gradient you go the more unquestioningly nationalistic you get. True blue Aussies, Red neck Texans, morons in bulldog T-shirts on Leeds sink estates. Same everywhere. One cannot say "all Australians think/say/feel". One cannot say "all Brits this or that" it's drivel.
I've often said there is a demographic factor.

I think some Brit migrants DO live amongst ignorant people and the sooner they realise not all Australians are like that the better.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

All of this is just a class thing. The lower down the gradient you go the more unquestioningly nationalistic you get. True blue Aussies, Red neck Texans, morons in bulldog T-shirts on Leeds sink estates. Same everywhere. One cannot say "all Australians think/say/feel". One cannot say "all Brits this or that" it's drivel.
I assume you think of yourself as being higher up "the gradient" and therefore somehow "better" than the people you are, so obviously, looking down on?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I assume you think of yourself as being higher up "the gradient" and therefore somehow "better" than the people you are, so obviously, looking down on?
The 'class' thing comes up a lot even though the ability to mix it properly here means you have to forget any such thing - well, certainly where I live, which isnt Pacific Palisades, Fountain Gates or Secret Gardens or whatever its called.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

DBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to allDBinLondon is a name known to all

Just picked up this thread and would like to comment as an Aussie living in the UK (for the past five years), engaged to a lovely English girl with a young daughter. We have contemplated living in Sydney for some while and have made the decision to do so in a years time.

Let me say from the off that I love the UK. Whilst the UK and Australia are different countries, they still have many similarities, which is more than can be said for other countries (like Canada, the US or South Africa).

However, on balance I think that Australia offers more opportunity and a better quality of life, particularly now that I have a young family. As many of you have said there are lots of pros and cons to both the UK and Oz, which I for one have been carefully weighing up over the past year. We did a recce in June and my other half came back with no hesitation wanting to leave the UK and go to Sydney. I was careful to stress to her, that given the huge effort of moving to Oz, that I did not want to get there and within a year or twos time, decide to throw it all in and come back to the UK.

Here is what I make of it, based on our life in the UK:

- We would earn as similar amount in Oz as in the UK (given the industries we are in)
- On balance, the cost of grocery shopping seems to be the same in both countries (we did up our shopping list, costed it and checked against it here in the UK). True, things like bread were a lot more expensive in Oz! On comparision though, it balances out with some things cheaper and some things more expensive
- Rental housing seems to be cheaper in Oz for a similar sized flat or house in a similar sort of area. We live in outer London so I know this is biased slightly. But again, on balance I think we would save @£200 a month on rent in Sydney each month
- Public transport (the Buses at least) are cheaper in Oz than in the UK but the transport system as a whole is not nearly as good. I would love for Oz cities like Sydney to introduce something like the Oyster Card, different Zones that are easy to understand, as well as weekly/monthly unlimited tickets (like Oyster) etc etc.
- TV - Free to air television in Australia is rubbish (particularly daytime or morning TV) compared to the UK and as a result many people have Pay TV (like Foxtel). I'm not looking forward to going back to ad breaks in each program! I was pleasantly surprised though by the amount of British programming on the commercial networks (7, 9 and 10). When I left Australia in 2003 they were mostly from the US. One mustn't forget either that the ABC does not have the TV Licence Fee revenue to live off like the BBC.
- Newspapers - I will really miss papers like the Financial Times and The Sunday Times. The Sydney Morning Herald seems to be OK though but still is not nearly as good a read.
- Housing affordability is just the same in both the UK and Oz (it is difficult to get on the ladder in both countries without support from family etc)
- Differences in the weather are an interesting one. Being in the UK I have come to love the change of season (i.e actually having one!) and things like snow in the backyard in winter. But I do believe that the better weather in Oz will give us a better lifestyle as we should be outdoors (and active) more often. It was slightly colder in Sydney in June than it was in the UK and that was in winter! Having said that one thing I am not looking forward to, which will take some re-adjustment, is the hot summer and heat of 35-40 degrees.
- Culture - obviously Australia cannot compete with what is on offer in the UK. But people seem to forget where Australia came from in the first place! How can you expect there to be museums like the British Museum in Australia when we were a former colony. Having said that though I think there are some pros. Australia has always had a vibrant local music scene. Whilst many of those acts haven't been able to break into the international market, they have still done well locally.
- Childcare - again we crunched the numbers during our recce in June (and have to take into account the London bias as it is very expensive where we are). With our daughter in nursery 5 days a week it is cheaper in Oz ($1,500AUD compared to £1,200 each month) and the nursery provides things like nappies and wipes (in addition to food) which is not done here in the UK. Also, with the Child Care Rebate we will get over 45% of the cost back as a tax rebate. In the UK we can only save up to 15% on Childcare costs using Childcare Vouchers. Conversely, the Baby Bonus in Australia (worth $5,185 AUD) now faces a family income test, so the UK sitll offers one pro with the Child Benefit paying £20 a week till the child is 16 (which equates to an extra £15,000).

All in all, we are approaching this with an open mind, and I think on reflection in 5-10 years time we will look back having made the right decision for our family. Hopefully, we may convince some of my partners family to make the move as well once we are settled in.

Last edited by DBinLondon; Oct 2nd 2009 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Forgot to mention some other points
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DBinLondon
Just picked up this thread and would like to comment as an Aussie living in the UK (for the past five years), engaged to a lovely English girl with a young daughter. We have contemplated living in Sydney for some while and have made the decision to do so in a years time.

Let me say from the off that I love the UK. Whilst the UK and Australia are different countries, they still have many similarities, which is more than can be said for other countries (like Canada, the US or South Africa).

However, on balance I think that Australia offers more opportunity, particularly now that I have a young family. As many of you have said there are lots of pros and cons to both the UK and Oz, which I for one have been carefully weighing up over the past year. We did a recce in June and my other half came back with no hesitation wanting to leave the UK and go to Sydney. I was careful to stress to her, that given the huge effort of moving to Oz, that I did not want to get there and within a year or twos time, decide to throw it all in and come back to the UK.

Here is what I make of it, based on our life in the UK:

- We would earn as similar amount in Oz as in the UK (given the industries we are in)
- On balance, the cost of grocery shopping seems to be the same in both countries (we did up our shopping list, costed it and checked against it here in the UK). True, things like bread were a lot more expensive in Oz!
- Rental housing seems to be cheaper in Oz for a similar sized flat or house in a similar sort of area. We live in outer London so I know this is biased slightly. But again, on balance I think we would save @£200 a month on rent in Sydney
- Public transport (the Buses at least) are cheaper in Oz than in the UK but the transport system as a whole is not as good. I would love for Oz cities like Sydney to introduce something like the Oyster Card, different Zones that are easy to understand, as well as weekly/monthly unlimited tickets (like Oyster) etc etc.
- TV - Free to air television in Australia is rubbish (particularly daytime or morning TV) compared to the UK and as a result many people have Pay TV (like Foxtel). I'm not looking forward to going back to ad breaks in each program! I was pleasantly surprised though by the amount of British programming on the commercial networks (7, 9 and 10). When I left Australia in 2003 they were mostly from the US. One mustn't forget either that the ABC does not have the TV Licence Fee revenue to live off like the BBC.
- Newspapers - I will really miss papers like the Financial Times and The Sunday Times. The Sydney Morning Herald seems to be OK though but still is not nearly as good a read.
- Housing affordability is just the same in both the UK and Oz (it is difficult to get on the ladder in both countries without support from family etc)
- Differences in the weather are an interesting one. Being in the UK I have come to love the change of season (i.e actually having one!) and things like snow in the backyard in winter. But I do believe that the better weather in Oz will give us a better lifestyle as we should be outdoors (and active) more often. It was slightly colder in Sydney in June than it was in the UK and that was in winter! Having said that one thing I am not looking forward to, which will take some re-adjustment, is the hot summer and heat of 35-40 degrees.
- Culture - obviously Australia cannot compete with what is on offer in the UK. But people seem to forget where Australia came from in the first place! How can you expect there to be museums like the British Museum in Australia when we were a former colony. Having said that though I think there are some pros. Australia has always had a vibrant local music scene. Whilst many of those acts haven't been able to break into the international market, they have still done well locally.

All in all, we are approaching this with an open mind, and I think on reflection in 5-10 years time we will look back having made the right decision for our family. Hopefully, we may convince some of my partners family to make the move as well once we are settled in.
Good post!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.