Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you should know before moving down under...

Things you should know before moving down under...

Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you should know before moving down under...

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So will my english headphones work with my oz ipod
Your English headphones will.... not sure about those Irish ears though.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

springoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant futurespringoz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You think it's repetitive.., you should try posting here for years, on and off, and try answering the same questions and same conceptions over and over again. !
LOL. Just a few points I would like to make. I do not post much myself although I do quite a bit of research on here (BE is my google lol). I always use the search facility on here first and almost always find the answers to my questions without the need to start a tread.
Thank you to all regular "question answerers and opinion givers" for the wealth of very useful information I have garnered from BE. It sometimes seems that peeps do not use this facility enough and I for one commend the people who answer what seems to be repetitive questions that could have been answered by a simple search and a bit (or a lot lol), of reading.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
But then you get people saying they could never go to Oz for fear of the spiders lurking to pounce and kill them or the sharks circling all the beaches waiting for the bathers to deliver themsleves for lunch not to mention the crocodiles and snakes drooling in anticipation of another brit arrival.
Yes makes laugh the people who say they are too affraid to go to OZ becasue of spiders and sharks and things, its amazing they have the courage to travel in cars when they are thousands of times more likley to die in a car accident.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Things you should know before moving down under...

Excellent post from the OP; I heartily agree.

Old Sep 26th 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes makes laugh the people who say they are too affraid to go to OZ becasue of spiders and sharks and things, its amazing they have the courage to travel in cars when they are thousands of times more likley to die in a car accident.
Or be attacked by a magpie
Old Sep 27th 2009, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I find it all the more incredible when people use it as an excuse not to like the country or a reason not to live here - wtf (!) They've visited - they know death does not lurk on every corner.

Still, we get some mileage out of guests..
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:12 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
IMO posts like this are only necessary once in a while and there seem to be far too many of them, people need to get over the fact that others have differing experiences of Australia and the UK and stop trying convince everybody else that they know best, how many times do you really need to hear it
Ditto - of course everyone has different opinions about which place is best and how to best live it, but I just don't get why people get so seriously wound up about other people viewing Australia & migration in a different way than they do.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You think it's repetitive.., you should try posting here for years, on and off, and try answering the same questions and same conceptions over and over again. !
If it is such a drag for you then why do you do it? If you like to help people with visa or general living questions over and over again well that's lovely, I do the same sometimes. As for the 'conceptions' tho, if it annoys you so much that people see migrating to / living in Australia in a different way than you do, I don't know why you keep posting responses to the repetitive threads and winding yourself up. It's an internet forum, not a way of life!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:45 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble with Australia is that it's a long, long way to go for not much improvement at all. This notion that Australia is ''where it's at'' as far as good quality of life is concerned it bandied around far, far too lightly.

Sure, if you REALLY want your days per year of sun increased, fine, move to the NSW/Queensland coast and you've probably achieved your goal.

But the weather in the UK never bothered me. I would never have left the UK (to live) had I not married an Aussie.

I do not find it cheaper here. I earn the same and can afford the same here. No more.

Nor is it safer for my kids. Last night, a whole load of yobs were busy trashing the nearby railway station and bus shelter. Even in the pouring rain. They've tagged every clear space in sight. What is all this crap people carry on with about crime and youth culture in the UK being out of control as if to say that it's better in Australia? It ain't.

Are my hobbies and interests benefitted by Australia? Not a scrap. In fact, they are hindered.

So I liken Australia to Led Zeppelin: good, but overrated tremendously.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
Ditto - of course everyone has different opinions about which place is best and how to best live it, but I just don't get why people get so seriously wound up about other people viewing Australia & migration in a different way than they do.
For me it is the concern, bordering on disbelief that there are some unfortunate people out there, whatever their opinion. BE is an eye opener! I don't care what people think about Australia - but it's unfortunate when they slag off their own lives and those of the people around them when they haven't seen the way other people live - especially when other options were available and were the ones they wanted in the first place.

I mean not everyone actually wanted to move to 'Neighbours' - did they? I can't help but feel that people move to a capital city and fall in to a suburb somewhere, and buy a land package. Then the rot sets in.

The people who seem to do the best - outstandingly so - I mean are the people who had a very clear vision of what they wanted to achieve, or what they didn't want. Whether that is living on a beach, or going 4x4 every weekend, getting a boat etc. I've always been impressed with the people who join Lifesavers's clubs, own a boat - and use it, work behind the bar of their local, actually travel this continent, buy a farm, live in the inner city etc.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
The trouble with Australia is that it's a long, long way to go for not much improvement at all. This notion that Australia is ''where it's at'' as far as good quality of life is concerned it bandied around far, far too lightly.

Sure, if you REALLY want your days per year of sun increased, fine, move to the NSW/Queensland coast and you've probably achieved your goal.

But the weather in the UK never bothered me. I would never have left the UK (to live) had I not married an Aussie.

I do not find it cheaper here. I earn the same and can afford the same here. No more.

Nor is it safer for my kids. Last night, a whole load of yobs were busy trashing the nearby railway station and bus shelter. Even in the pouring rain. They've tagged every clear space in sight. What is all this crap people carry on with about crime and youth culture in the UK being out of control as if to say that it's better in Australia? It ain't.

Are my hobbies and interests benefitted by Australia? Not a scrap. In fact, they are hindered.

Good observations, can't really argue with any of that.

One point though, I think you'll find the closer into Melbourne you move the less problem you have with Youth. We dont seem to suffer any of those gang related issues in Moreland. Although Reservoir and North of there are really bad. Once you cross the ring road and get into the land of the new estates then the problems escalate.

Got to say, I dont like my kids travelling on trains, amongst the kids that live further out. Trams no problem, luckily we are on the Tram network.

I'm bloody glad I dont live on the Epping or Dandenong lines. They make the Broadmeadows line look like a bit of a picnic. There is some real interesting feedback on the MVictory forums as to the trouble spots around town.

Your point on Grafitti and tagging is an interesting one. Personally as an Urbanphile I find it quite interesting. Apparently the Grafitti "art" in Melbourne is world class.

Hosier Lane

Hellenic Republic Brunswick

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 27th 2009 at 4:07 am.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well your view is probably shared by many.

I think it is an outstanding place compared to many other countries in the world and outstanding for the things I want to do.

I also think that it is over-rated by people who have never been. Much of the whole world has a fairy-tale view of this place - I meet people from South America - much more culturally distant to the US or Europe and yet they are fascinated by it. It's because some of Australia offers a tropical/holiday/slower deal with a western lifestyle.

I think Australia is suffering from being the victim of it's own success - and some of that success was hyped by other people on their behalf - and Australia chose to shrug and allow it. It was convenient to build an entire US tourism industry on the back of Crocodile Dundee - it was convenient for thousands of Europeans to come seeking a newer life in the 60s and 70s. To be fair, in those days, I think it did offer a life that many couldn't get.

Now Australia has to deal with that - choose to go again on the same brand - or paint a different picture. The thing is the Australian brand is too easy. So Australia continues to do the Laura Bingle stuff even in the mid 2000s...
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to say, I dont like my kids travelling on trains, amongst the kids that live further out. Trams no problem, luckily we are on the Tram network.
Just like Australia has a culture based on 'City' and 'Country' - so Melbourne has a culture based on 'Tram' and 'Train'.

I get both. The demographics on the train are completely different to the Tram. The tram attracts affluent, well heeled surbanites, and the trains attract suburban bogans. Houses and suburbs on tram routes are much more expensive than suburbs out on the train network - exception being established pockets of suburbia or semi-rural - Berwick station seems to attact a different demographic to Narre Warren, for example. Generalisation alert - but for the most part it is true(!)

Alight off a tram at Finders or Southern Cross (Spencer St) and descend down to the platform and all of a sudden the world changes.

The El Alamein line which runs through the affluent Inner East is very much an exception. I get it when I have to go and pick up my car from service and the people that use that line are completely different to the people who get many of the other lines.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 6:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IP-Alarms
A couple of things I'd like to add from my four great years in Oz...

1. You WILL get sick of hearing the words "Australia" and "best in the world".

2. It may take 6 months, it may take a few years, but one thing is for certain - and they WILL eventually grind you down
This one is very strange. We've been here nearly four years and I can say, hand on heart that I have never ever heard anyone say those words. I've heard people on BE talking about getting bored with hearing it but all the Aussies I mix with, and 90%+ of our friends are Aussie born, have never come out with that so I would nearly say it's unlikely I'll get sick of hearing it. I am fairly sure I'm sick of reading on BE that everyone says it though.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:57 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Or be attacked by a magpie
the worst ones are the cops with their speed camera and guns,
How much officer,
$350!
are you kidding me!!!!-- Oh nice gun; where do I pay Sir?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

krazys back is an unknown quantity at this point

These are a few things (cautionary tales) I think Brits should be aware of before embarking on life down under. Please add to them if you can think of more things and/or modifications:

* Moving country does not fix all issues in your life. This should be obvious but I get the impression from reading some stuff on here that a lot of people actually believe it will.

* Australia is NOT devoid of a large, large number of the UK's problems. If you believe that Australia is a crime-free zone, for example, you may be disappointed. Stuff happens here all the time (Quoll recently reported some fairly random shootings/stabbings near where she is in Canberra on another thread) and the idea that these things are unique to Manchester or London is silly. Where I am there was a mugging at knife-point not three minutes from where I live recently and there is a MAJOR vandalism and 'tagging' problem. It's supposed to be a nice area though, so would hate to be in a dodgy area like Broadmeadows, parts of Frankston, Dandenong or Footscray.

* The weather is different in Australia, but not NECESSARILY better. In Melbourne, the climate is surprisingly similar to the UK (unpredictable and often cold and windy) and whilst the summer is longer and warmer than in the UK, the really hot days (40 plus) are very uncomfortable and you cannot really enjoy them as being outside in that heat is unbearable. You have the risk of bush fires at one end of the country and serious flooding at the other. Tasmania can get both. If you are moving for the weather (this seems to be a major life priority for a lot of people, which is quite foreign to me personally) be careful where you go to.

* It is impossible to predict prior to leaving what and who you will miss - and how much. You may find yourself missing things more than you think. It is easy to be in Britain, amidst all the British moaning and complaining, and think that there is nothing you will miss. It is very easy to misjudge this and only see the light, so to speak, once you are 10,000 miles away.

* If you are in a mixed nationality relationship (which may well be the very reason for the move) you can find yourself feeling quite trapped/stifled by being surrounded by your partner's family/friends constantly, especially when you do not have any of your own around.
Just wanted to say, brilliant post!!!

For somebody in the UK, this website is brilliant for ensuring that we truly think through our decisions of where to move etc. Of course its never going to be perfect for everyone and posts like this makes us in the UK aware that there's lots of pitfalls out there.

Therefore, regardless as to whether this post is positive or negative, it makes brilliant reading and thank you all for your time in posting!!! It actually makes me want to come over even more!

ps - it is grey, cold here in the UK, not looking forward to going into my job tomorrow and Stoke lost again! There is some of my reasons to wanting to be in Brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.