Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you should know before moving down under...

Things you should know before moving down under...

Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Things you should know before moving down under...

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You're in a very agreeing mood

Must be the weather.
I agree, it is nice today

Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by willamos
These are a few things (cautionary tales) I think Brits should be aware of before embarking on life down under. Please add to them if you can think of more things and/or modifications:

* Moving country does not fix all issues in your life. This should be obvious but I get the impression from reading some stuff on here that a lot of people actually believe it will.

* Australia is NOT devoid of a large, large number of the UK's problems. If you believe that Australia is a crime-free zone, for example, you may be disappointed. Stuff happens here all the time (Quoll recently reported some fairly random shootings/stabbings near where she is in Canberra on another thread) and the idea that these things are unique to Manchester or London is silly. Where I am there was a mugging at knife-point not three minutes from where I live recently and there is a MAJOR vandalism and 'tagging' problem. It's supposed to be a nice area though, so would hate to be in a dodgy area like Broadmeadows, parts of Frankston, Dandenong or Footscray.

* The weather is different in Australia, but not NECESSARILY better. In Melbourne, the climate is surprisingly similar to the UK (unpredictable and often cold and windy) and whilst the summer is longer and warmer than in the UK, the really hot days (40 plus) are very uncomfortable and you cannot really enjoy them as being outside in that heat is unbearable. You have the risk of bush fires at one end of the country and serious flooding at the other. Tasmania can get both. If you are moving for the weather (this seems to be a major life priority for a lot of people, which is quite foreign to me personally) be careful where you go to.

* It is impossible to predict prior to leaving what and who you will miss - and how much. You may find yourself missing things more than you think. It is easy to be in Britain, amidst all the British moaning and complaining, and think that there is nothing you will miss. It is very easy to misjudge this and only see the light, so to speak, once you are 10,000 miles away.

* If you are in a mixed nationality relationship (which may well be the very reason for the move) you can find yourself feeling quite trapped/stifled by being surrounded by your partner's family/friends constantly, especially when you do not have any of your own around.
fully agree with all said, you can research all you want but the truth is living here is nothing like it. I have lived in oz for two years now and dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but the employment laws in australia are way behind what a new immigrant would expect coming from uk. unless you work for a major company you have little or no protection whilst employed there one day gone tomorrow. after working as a senior manager in large uk companys i am amazed how lax the employment laws in a major country like australia are. I could go on for hours about how my 2 years have impacted on my life but at the end of the day i have chosen to live here and am making the most of it. for my final comment its about time someone told the uk tv to update there immigration programmes about the oasis that should be australia.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

To sallyclaire, the Olympics will be a disaster for London because there is no money in the kitty to fund it unless they print more money or as they termed it, quantitative easing. Taxpayers will have to foot the bill and it would have been much better if London was not chosen as the host. I don't see anything to be proud about when a bankrupt govt is hosting something called Olympics when they have virtually no money to do so.

I agree that no amount of research can prepare someone on making the big move, but those who have done so have taken a giant step and will not have to think or wonder about what would have been in the later stage of their lives.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7966811]Because most people who migrate probably settle in and never use the forums again, unless they get the homesickness bug etc, and want to re-connect.

23,236 permanent migrants arrived from UK in 2007/08. How many PR's are on here ?
QUOTE]

I enjoy visiting this forum because of the feedback from other people who are also adapting to a new life in Australia I'm a PR too.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You will find plenty of people on here who will tell you that no amount of research makes any difference to the reality of the migration process. The act of living in Australia can't really be researched in any practical way other than actually living here.
Absolutely true!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
To sallyclaire, the Olympics will be a disaster for London because there is no money in the kitty to fund it unless they print more money or as they termed it, quantitative easing. Taxpayers will have to foot the bill and it would have been much better if London was not chosen as the host. I don't see anything to be proud about when a bankrupt govt is hosting something called Olympics when they have virtually no money to do so.

I agree that no amount of research can prepare someone on making the big move, but those who have done so have taken a giant step and will not have to think or wonder about what would have been in the later stage of their lives.
Except for those who wonder if the later stages of their lives would be better back home......
Old Sep 26th 2009, 1:56 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
The negative posts are as valuable as the positive ones mate.

Australia isn't for everyone and we can learn as much from these as the positive posts

This thread is with regards to things people should know before moving down under. Given the amount of tradies who come across this once they have moved, and the heartache it causes, it is worth knowing beforehand.

Very wise words. Presume you've already fought the battle and lived here mate?
wise words or common sense? Not lived there yet, but not to long now, I hope, been over and stayed with several family members in different locations and situations though.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:45 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of things I'd like to add from my four great years in Oz...

1. You WILL get sick of hearing the words "Australia" and "best in the world".

2. It may take 6 months, it may take a few years, but one thing is for certain - and they WILL eventually grind you down
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:37 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

You will find plenty of people on here who will tell you that no amount of research makes any difference to the reality of the migration process. The act of living in Australia can't really be researched in any practical way other than actually living here.
Maybe I should expand on my post. Research can never substitute for being in a country, we've all gone through it and I am not stupid enough to suggest otherwise. However it appears that in some cases people have not done enough research and have preconceived misconceptions on how a country will be in the short/long term. Research is a small part of it and can never a substitute for being on the ground but it is an important part of cutting through the misconceptions and trying to figure out if it is all that is promised. Forums like BE help in this endeavour.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:26 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I think Hutch has the right idea when he talks about using the big move as a way of reinventing yourself/ life and making the most of the absence of the usual baggage that stands in the way of changes. Going somewhere where nobody knows you, nobody has any preconceptions about you and nobody knows your past must be extremely liberating if you choose to grasp the nettle.

I have a funny feeling that if I don't make the move soon I won't ever be able to afford to (and give my family a good standard of life), I am considered to be very well paid in the UK and hope to be the same in Oz (although not initially of course) but I can see Australia pulling away now that the UK has 700 Billion+ of debt, no industry to speak of (apart from the financial one that we screwed). The mineral wealth and industry of Australia will spring it into the world stage, just need to grab a hold before it's too late and hang on for the ride!

If anybody is deluded enough to think Australia in heaven on earth with no crime, poverty and with perfect weather I'd be amazed. But then you get people saying they could never go to Oz for fear of the spiders lurking to pounce and kill them or the sharks circling all the beaches waiting for the bathers to deliver themsleves for lunch not to mention the crocodiles and snakes drooling in anticipation of another brit arrival.

IMO posts like this are only necessary once in a while and there seem to be far too many of them, people need to get over the fact that others have differing experiences of Australia and the UK and stop trying convince everybody else that they know best, how many times do you really need to hear it
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:03 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
I think Hutch has the right idea when he talks about using the big move as a way of reinventing yourself/ life and making the most of the absence of the usual baggage that stands in the way of changes. Going somewhere where nobody knows you, nobody has any preconceptions about you and nobody knows your past must be extremely liberating if you choose to grasp the nettle.

I have a funny feeling that if I don't make the move soon I won't ever be able to afford to (and give my family a good standard of life), I am considered to be very well paid in the UK and hope to be the same in Oz (although not initially of course) but I can see Australia pulling away now that the UK has 700 Billion+ of debt, no industry to speak of (apart from the financial one that we screwed). The mineral wealth and industry of Australia will spring it into the world stage, just need to grab a hold before it's too late and hang on for the ride!

If anybody is deluded enough to think Australia in heaven on earth with no crime, poverty and with perfect weather I'd be amazed. But then you get people saying they could never go to Oz for fear of the spiders lurking to pounce and kill them or the sharks circling all the beaches waiting for the bathers to deliver themsleves for lunch not to mention the crocodiles and snakes drooling in anticipation of another brit arrival.

IMO posts like this are only necessary once in a while and there seem to be far too many of them, people need to get over the fact that others have differing experiences of Australia and the UK and stop trying convince everybody else that they know best, how many times do you really need to hear it
But if you don't have a range of people posting their differing experiences then you won't have a forum..........
Old Sep 26th 2009, 6:40 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But if you don't have a range of people posting their differing experiences then you won't have a forum..........
The debate is fine the repetitive subject matter is just that
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:28 pm
Home and Happy

To some people the word "repetitive" is very reminiscent of suburban life in Australia
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You think it's repetitive.., you should try posting here for years, on and off, and try answering the same questions and same conceptions over and over again. !
Old Sep 26th 2009, 9:54 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You think it's repetitive.., you should try posting here for years, on and off, and try answering the same questions and same conceptions over and over again. !
So will my english headphones work with my oz ipod

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.