Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Just playing Devil's Advocate here ... but ...

If Perth has got so much "goin' on" ... why do so many of the residents spend so much of their leisure time cybernating on a British Ex-pats message board ?

Just curious like.

Three Legs
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:19 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Just playing Devil's Advocate here ... but ...

If Perth has got so much "goin' on" ... why do so many of the residents spend so much of their leisure time cybernating on a British Ex-pats message board ?

Just curious like.

Three Legs
FFS how many times?..... cos the tellies shite
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormz
First let me qualify (to those that don`t know me), that I was born in Perth. Just came back from 10 years in the UK, for the kids & grandparents sake.

Or are you all just as bored as we are?

Hey Stormz

I have got to thank you for starting such a great thread

The replies contain a wealth of info - I am bookmarking it for future referrence - God forbid if I am ever bored
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:30 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simone

I agree that Perth doesn't have many MAJOR tourist attractions, and with it growing so fast, I think there's some good money to be made by creative people/companies with a bit of money to invest in things like safari parks, big theme parks etc
I still think there's lots of small/inexpensive stuff to do though, and that's what I prefer anyway!
This coming Sunday (July 31st) the Tulip Festival is on - for free! - at Araluen.
Well worth a visit.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
This coming Sunday (July 31st) the Tulip Festival is on - for free! - at Araluen.
Well worth a visit.

Oh, thanks! Haven't been to Araluen yet!

Been to the Comedy Club at the 'Hydey' tonight. OMG, that was great! A whole night of fun for $15!

3legs: I'm mostly on here at work. And on weekday evenings. Can't go out everynight(gets dark at 6 pm...), and costs money.
Anyway, I never said I was bored. Internet is part of my 'entertainment', just like books, magazines, tv and movies are too.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:47 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Thanks Crone, will try and get there this sunday. Will check out where Araluen is. Even though I`m not into plants (saw Tulips in Amsterdam), will give it a go.

Steve, I`m into boogie-boarding (until I can afford a surfboard and a roofrack to put it on). Not so easy when you have a baby though. Maybe see you at Scarborough or Cott one day.

Simone, thanks for all your suggestions.

Although I`ve taken some flack from posting this message, I`m glad it worked and got some useful feedback. I bet you`ve all been racking your brains for places to visit though eh? Restaurants shouldn`t be in the list though.... it`s just food shopping.

Simone, the history I`m into isn`t recent history (ie the last 200 years)... it`s more medieval and ancient. No chance of that here. Show me something the Aboriginals built more than 200 years ago and I`ll go there. I agree about Maddington.... there are SO many fat feckers here.... kids and adults.... and I mean really fat. We were discussing it the other day and did a count in Carousel. There seems to be slightly more fatties here than in the UK, but about twice as many fat kids. Scary. Good luck to Pascal with what he`s doing.... hopefully I`ll be doing the same one day.

Talking of which.... gotta go.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:28 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

What did you do in the UK?

Why would you visit anywhere more than once or twice every few years??!

You should be setting yourself this challenge. Problem is, you've come here with a negative view, and I don't think you're going to change that very easily. You're already talking about what your family does. There's more to Perth than that.
Also, you have kids now, doesn't that limit what you can do anyway? Or actually gives you more to do....

Some other things to do(once or twice) then

Maritime Museum Fremantle (consists of 3 parts: shipwreck galleries: donation. New museum: money(forget how much), really cool submarine tour: $8

Comedy Club night at the Hyde Park hotel: about $15 on Thursday night

Great Union Cinemas on a Tuesday: $7.40
Luna cinema's for some different movies.

Blues night at Charles st Hotel on Tuesdays (and Jazz at the Hyde Park hotel on same night I believe)

Pool and snooker everywhere.

Bike around the Swan
Bike around Herdsman Lake

Visit art galleries (in city, in Fremantle)

Visit museums(there's plenty, google em)

Have a sunday roast and listen to live music at Mundaring Weir Hotel.

Visit Toodyay (visit museums), take in Avon NP en route

Visit York

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites, and do a walk in Kitty's Gorge(nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), and visit Serpentine Dam(oops, no dams, sorry!) Hmmm, that was our Sunday the week before last....

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town(or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park(quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford(they prob have a heritage walk)

Go Horseriding (like in Yanchep. Did cost about $40... for 2 hours though)

Go down south(keep it cheap, use a tent, or stay in on-site vans). Albany is only 4 hours, Walpole, Denmark etc)
Hmmm, I think you've made it clear before though that you're not that into nature and parks etc.

Visit the monastry thing at New Norcia (only 2 hours or so, easy day trip)

Go to the Footy, just to experience it.

Keep an eye on gig guides. And if you've never heard of any, check them out, there's bound to be something good.
Music venue guide:
http://home.it.net.au/~lavida/perthven.htm

Here's the thread 'Culture in Perth', done in May:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303170

This is the festivals and events thread I did for last year, most will be the same this year I presume:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252861

Oh god, the museum post I did for the culture thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23

Oh, there's of course plenty of festivals too(most in Summer though).
Probably more free outdoor concerts and things like that in the summer too.

Anyway, do you guys have work yet? When you work full time, and do shopping on a Saturday for example, you don't have THAT much time left to get bored.

We, for example, have been here a year, and haven't even done all the stuff you mentioned, and I mentioned yet.
We are also quite busy with (birthday) parties, dinner with friends(at home, or out). Cheap dinners I've had recently: Vietnamese in Leederville, about $13.
Thai. Malaysian($17)
Need to check out the Mongolian BBQ place in Leederville soon, that will be less than $13 I believe.

I do wonder what people are into if they can get bored in any place on this earth?
Also, ever heard about reading a good book, watching a good movie(some videoshops have good deals!) , playing board games etc etc!!
:scared:

Wow quite a list Simone. I'll snip this for ourselves thanks. BTW isn't Whiteman Park not much of a drive after the drive to York? Perths got loads to do hasn't it? Whinging Aussies :-) eh?

Cheers Paul
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:40 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Simone, the history I`m into isn`t recent history (ie the last 200 years)... it`s more medieval and ancient. No chance of that here. Show me something the Aboriginals built more than 200 years ago and I`ll go there.

<snip>

How about this ? http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s993544.htm

Its an aboriginal village and its more than 8000 years old. Is that 'ancient' enough ?

Not in Perth or even WA, but if you are into 'ancient' history, maybe one day you might make the effort to go there or even to discover more about your country.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:46 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
How about this ? http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s993544.htm

Its an aboriginal village and its more than 8000 years old. Is that 'ancient' enough ?

Not in Perth or even WA, but if you are into 'ancient' history, maybe one day you might make the effort to go there or even to discover more about your country.
Good one

And of course ancient NATURAL history, history of the land and nature. Pinnacles for example. That ancient history.

But he's into buildings. Oh well.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

Why don't you hire a trailer for the weekend. A big boxy one with a cage on the back. Go verge shopping.

Where else in the world can you hire a trailer. Perth's great!!

AND...

What about the 5 billion years of geological history?
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:20 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Good one

And of course ancient NATURAL history, history of the land and nature. Pinnacles for example. That ancient history.

But he's into buildings. Oh well.
well I've just given him buildings, but somehow I think this wont be what he wants to hear :shakes head smilie:

BTW Stormz, have you visited Guildford Grammar school ? Not "ancient" but looks very like parts of england/oxford and has some interesting history !
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Dave+Kelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Try getting hobbies , I will be dirt biking , surfin (mrs p4m too) ,bush walks , get a boat/jet ski , Fishing.
That all off the top of my head in 30 secs .
Part of the joy of aus is being able to plan a weekend .
It will be as boring or fun as you make it .
this is one off the reasons we are going to perth, for example here in scotland last friday it was beatiful weather (nearly 26 degrees) so we headed for the highlands for a camping trip, for 2 days the weather was brill then on sunday it was raining so bad we slept in the car. Holiday ruined we got up at 5.30 am on monday morning and drove home. as i'm still on holiday i had arranged a fishing trip for today but surprise surprise it is raining and we will be lucky if the temp is in double figures.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:51 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Dave & Kelly.... sorry to tell you, but it`s been pissing it down here for most of the past 2 months. Which is good for Perth (dams are always practically empty), but not for being outdoors.

I like Natural History actually, so WILL get to the pinnacles and wave rock one day..... BUT they`re not in Perth are they?

I`m looking for interesting places to go in/around PERTH. NOT cinema`s. NOT restaurants. NOT shopping centres.

suggestions so far (in PERTH, and compatible with having a baby):

Maritime Museum Fremantle

Visit Toodyay (visit museums), take in Avon NP en route (is this NEAR Perth?).

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites,

do a walk in Kitty's Gorge (nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), (where is it?).

and visit Serpentine Dam. (been there, done that....).

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town (or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park (quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford (they prob have a heritage walk) (near PERTH??).

SO, 12 possibly valid things to do so far in Perth with a 14 month old baby in tow. Will have to ration them to one a month

But seriously.... thanks Simone etc. I hereby nominate Simone as the forum Perth tourist guide.

No way will Perth ever be anywhere near as interesting as being near London, BUT at least I can go boogie-boarding again (when summer get`s here).

Now I`ll add some things to the list of what is good to do:

- Mettems Pool (for snorkelling).
- Kalamunda Water Slides.
- that adventure park place (can`t remember the name atm).
- Fremantle Prison.
- Mandurah.
- Lesmurdie Falls (unparalelled view of Perth, especially at night).

and for further afield:
- Lancelin (to see the big sand dunes, but it`s so boring there it makes Perth seem like L.A.). Although if you`re a wind-surfer it`s got brilliant winds.
- Greens Pool (on the way to Albany).
- The Natural Bridge (Albany).
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:14 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Dave & Kelly.... sorry to tell you, but it`s been pissing it down here for most of the past 2 months. Which is good for Perth (dams are always practically empty), but not for being outdoors.

I like Natural History actually, so WILL get to the pinnacles and wave rock one day..... BUT they`re not in Perth are they?

I`m looking for interesting places to go in/around PERTH. NOT cinema`s. NOT restaurants. NOT shopping centres.

suggestions so far (in PERTH, and compatible with having a baby):

Maritime Museum Fremantle

Visit Toodyay (visit museums), take in Avon NP en route (is this NEAR Perth?).

Do a heritage walk and visit Jarradale sites,

do a walk in Kitty's Gorge (nice little stream, nice and green, pine trees), (where is it?).

and visit Serpentine Dam. (been there, done that....).

Take kid(s) to Kalamunda Heritage Town (or whatever it's called... near the library)

Go to Whiteman Park (quite a drive, but it is cheap. Visit little shops/museums. Go for a walk. Have a bbq. Take the train or tram(small fees).

Visit Swan Valley(chocolate factory, wineries, galleries) and Guildford (they prob have a heritage walk) (near PERTH??).

SO, 12 possibly valid things to do so far in Perth with a 14 month old baby in tow. Will have to ration them to one a month

But seriously.... thanks Simone etc. I hereby nominate Simone as the forum Perth tourist guide.

No way will Perth ever be anywhere near as interesting as being near London, BUT at least I can go boogie-boarding again (when summer get`s here).

Now I`ll add some things to the list of what is good to do:

- Mettems Pool (for snorkelling).
- Kalamunda Water Slides.
- that adventure park place (can`t remember the name atm).
- Fremantle Prison.
- Mandurah.
- Lesmurdie Falls (unparalelled view of Perth, especially at night).

and for further afield:
- Lancelin (to see the big sand dunes, but it`s so boring there it makes Perth seem like L.A.). Although if you`re a wind-surfer it`s got brilliant winds.
- Greens Pool (on the way to Albany).
- The Natural Bridge (Albany).
Yes, Toodyay's 98kms from Perth, about an hour and a half's drive. Prettiest way to go is to Bullsbrook, turn off to the right down Chittering Valley Road, follow signs to Toodyay. Then return to Perth via Toodyay Road. There's a good picnic/ barbecue site on the banks of the Avon river as you're going into the town, as well as numerous cafes.
And yes, Guildford is a historic site. We forget, in these days of fast personal transport, the early days of settlement, when Guildford was a day's travel away by horse........
Old Jul 30th 2005, 2:15 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Try the Fremantle Gaol candlelight tour.... spooky!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.