Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Originally Posted by Stormz
Surely some of your Perthites can agree that Perth/W.A. needs alot more tourist attractions.
No there are heaps of things already here for tourists, as already listed, much more than the normal tourist would be able to cram in or afford in their stays here. Plus i'd much rather not live in an area over-run with tourist's, I cant think of anything worse.

Maybe I`m just going nuts from lack of dosh (which limits what you can do) .
So you've got no money yet you want more touristy things to be able to go and visit ...

Take up surfing, the costs are minimal, it gets you out of the house, keeps you fit and healthy, and you can while away hours waiting for a decent wave
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:32 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
Need to check out the Mongolian BBQ place in Leederville soon, that will be less than $13 I believe.
Wow, is that still there? (Is it called Kublai or something similar?) I live around the corner (in West Leederville) and I didn't know it was still going. I used to go there years ago. Its good value, especially if you compress the ingredients into your bowl. I have it on good authority you can double the volume that way Of course you could go for all you can eat, in which case it doesn't really matter how many bowls it takes.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
No there are heaps of things already here for tourists, as already listed, much more than the normal tourist would be able to cram in or afford in their stays here. Plus i'd much rather not live in an area over-run with tourist's, I cant think of anything worse.

So you've got no money yet you want more touristy things to be able to go and visit ...
ha, yes, VERY good points! Wouldn't want Perth to become like the gold coast or anything like that!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:36 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

I think your right, looks like there some practice this weekend.
http://www.avondescent.asn.au/

Aftert all that rain we had in June, we havent had a great deal this month
(251mm in June, 60mm in July) I dont know if this has any bearing on the race ???
It looks crazy enough as it is
Makes for much better watching - thrills and spills! try Extracts for a good spot. It also beats dragging your damn dinghy/canoe down the bloody river!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Wow, is that still there? (Is it called Kublai or something similar?) I live around the corner (in West Leederville) and I didn't know it was still going. I used to go there years ago. Its good value, especially if you compress the ingredients into your bowl. I have it on good authority you can double the volume that way Of course you could go for all you can eat, in which case it doesn't really matter how many bowls it takes.
Lol!
I discoverd it the other day when I went with some friends too Ria, the Malaysian Place.
I saw the bbq next door to that (in the row with the vet and the bike shop), and it looked VERY cheap!(plastic tables and chairs), just my thing!
My friend said her sister used to go reguraly(they live in Leederville).
Then I looked it up on the web, and found this:
http://www.arach.net.au/~ted/myfood/...6-30-2005.html
So, definetly trying that out some time!!

Ahhh, blogs! Such a useful source of info sometimes!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:45 am
Gone surfin'

Surely some of your Perthites can agree that Perth/W.A. needs alot more tourist attractions.
Nope. Agreed, there's not a lot of man-made attractions but Perth's attraction is .... well, Perth! Its a place to live in, not necessarily a place to holiday in. The population and the number of visitors is never going to support 'manufactured' attractions. People have tried and failed.

I love Perth, it will always be my home, but I don't recommend it to people looking to BE entertained. I do recommend it to people who love to get outdoors and get physical though.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 6:49 am
ABCDiamond

Oh, and the in-laws watch Antiques Roadshow every bloody night.
Hi Stormz

Are you living with the Inlaws ? That may explain a few things

3 days with inlaws for me, was enough to call the men with white coats

Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

ANd not only living with the in-laws, but living in Beckenham. Far away from museums, and nice restaurants etc etc. Closer to the hills though, but I think Stormz is more the city type.

Beckenham is also one of the more ermmmmm.... depressing suburbs.... and close to Maddington, which I believe is one of the 'worst' suburbs in Perth(was at the shopping centre again today for work, and bumped into obese TODDLERS! on bare feet.. things like that.... )
To be honest, I can't think of heaps to do in this area(south east), not even many nice big parks(like we've got where we live: 5 mins to Lake Monger, 10 mins to Herdsman Lake, 20 mins to King's Park, 30 mins to beach(these are biking times).
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:02 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
ha, yes, VERY good points! Wouldn't want Perth to become like the gold coast or anything like that!
Definitely not, it got like that I would be off in a shot.

Sorry to sound naive but I keep hearing people refer to Brisvegas, i assume there refering to Surfers Paradise and trying to liken it to Las Vegas, or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick
I've if got it right, Las Vegas is a darn sight more impressive than Surfers Paradise (ok SP probable wins on the beaches front ) In general I thought the Gold coast was like going to Tenerife, tacky as hell with a few nice spots around the fringes. The Sunshine coast was much nicer.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:11 am
ABCDiamond

Sorry to sound naive but I keep hearing people refer to Brisvegas, i assume there refering to Surfers Paradise and trying to liken it to Las Vegas, or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick
I've if got it right, Las Vegas is a darn sight more impressive than Surfers Paradise (ok SP probable wins on the beaches front ) In general I thought the Gold coast was like going to Tenerife, tacky as hell with a few nice spots around the fringes. The Sunshine coast was much nicer.
I'm also trying to work out the "vegas" bit in Brisvegas, it's not something I would have compared it to, and Surfers isn't exactly Brisbane, so it shouldn't be that, but who knows ?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Get in your car, drive to the hills, walk. Apart from petrol it's free and one of the best days out you can have.

If you don't like the great outdoors then what are you doing in WA?

I can't imagine another tacky Gold Coast in the West, that hideous Observation City hotel stands as a warning to everyone about what that could mean.

Last edited by renth; Jul 28th 2005 at 7:19 am.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:18 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'm also trying to work out the "vegas" bit in Brisvegas, it's not something I would have compared it to, and Surfers isn't exactly Brisbane, so it shouldn't be that, but who knows ?
I think there's a misconception from people that have never been to queensland (largely brits still in the UK) that going to Brisbane is the same as the Gold Coast (specifically Surfers), ie; all the brochures etc they would see in UK travel agents give the view that they are one and the same So they rock up in Brisbane expecting to be able to grab their board walk down the road and hit the surf.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Give poor Stormz a break coming from Kent i think i was spoilt after all we could hop on the boat to France go to London etc I do think things over here are expensive i naively thought we could fly all over Australia for a few hundred dollars how wrong was i, yes and i feel late night shopping on a Thursday exciting?? (not really)..... hard when you come from a busy life to a quiet slow pace of living everyone has their own opinion and i think yes it can be pretty much boring after a while, if you are more used to "get up and go@ kinda thing..

Kath
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:50 am
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Give poor Stormz a break coming from Kent i think i was spoilt after all we could hop on the boat to France go to London etc I do think things over here are expensive i naively thought we could fly all over Australia for a few hundred dollars how wrong was i, yes and i feel late night shopping on a Thursday exciting?? (not really)..... hard when you come from a busy life to a quiet slow pace of living everyone has their own opinion and i think yes it can be pretty much boring after a while, if you are more used to "get up and go@ kinda thing..

Kath

I guess it depends on what you like doing, I personally wouldnt class some of the things Stormz likes doing (History related, museums etc) as "get up and go"...
Given the climate of Perth the Sporting and activity side of things is way more advanced than anything Kent could have to offer...
To say something or somewhere is boring because you arent able to do things you could do in a place you've left is just stupid, your quite welcome to keep on going.....
I can think of heaps more things I can do here that I couldnt do in the UK, the only things I can come up with that I cant do here are pretty negative anyway. (sit in traffic for two hours to cover 20miles to get home and get on with my life springs to mind or sit indoors watching it piss down for about 8months )
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:36 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Anne4Terry]
Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Bet your family was glad to see the end of term!
You bet Anne, sending you a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.