Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Old Jul 30th 2005, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jennie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)

Everywhere is boring if you make it, its what you make of doing things that make it not boring. At least the weather is decent most of the time in Aus as here in england you stay in, if not you pay an arm and a leg to do things , just took kids to cinema and a meal and of course they wanted popcorn it is nearly £40-£50 for a morning out and we still have the rest of the holidays, I hope the weather picks up as I am running out of money.

Good luck with finding things to do.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jennie
Everywhere is boring if you make it, its what you make of doing things that make it not boring. At least the weather is decent most of the time in Aus as here in england you stay in, if not you pay an arm and a leg to do things , just took kids to cinema and a meal and of course they wanted popcorn it is nearly £40-£50 for a morning out and we still have the rest of the holidays, I hope the weather picks up as I am running out of money.

Good luck with finding things to do.
I think you hit it on the head there.
Perth can certainly be boring, but theres a lot of stuff you can do that costs nothing.
For those with kids and a sense of fun, you can have a great time for next to nowt.
Old Jul 30th 2005, 11:05 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
Dave & Kelly.... sorry to tell you, but it`s been pissing it down here for most of the past 2 months. Which is good for Perth (dams are always practically empty), but not for being outdoors.
This July has been one of the driest for years, do you ever go outside, or even look out of your window?

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/dams/dams_rain.cfm

Last edited by renth; Jul 30th 2005 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:18 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Dave & Kelly.... sorry to tell you, but it`s been pissing it down here for most of the past 2 months. Which is good for Perth (dams are always practically empty), but not for being outdoors.

Well you must be in a different Perth from me. Yes June was wet, wetter than usual, but July has more than made up for it, over the last couple of weeks the weather has been lovely for getting out and about, not warm enough for me to take my jacket off but great for kicking a footy about, taking the kids to the park and walking the dog on the beach.

Oh and Dave, deffo good enough for fishing, either that or my other half is having an affair :scared:

Lynn
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:48 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
This July has been one of the driest for years, do you ever go outside, or even look out of your window?
[/url]
Renth, do you ever take your personality pills? You can be nice y`know.

I guess it`s just been wet alot down here then, but obviously not as wet as June was.

Well, thanks for all your feedback, good and nasty. Will always have lots of things to do (in any country) when the kids grow up a bit (like another 5 years).
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:33 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Stormz

Please don't blame your kids for stopping you doing what you want to do, my youngest was born a year past Feb and yes initially it was a bit more difficult to do the things we were doing before and now he's 18 months there are a whole load of different things that are harder to do with him, but right now its about having fun with the kids, that can be done simply and cheaply and without going much further than 10 mins from my front door.

Before you know it your kids will be off enjoying themselves without you, enjoy them while you have them, don't resent them for cramping your style.

Plus you have the luxury of babysitters, most of us here don't.

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:31 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Stormz

Please don't blame your kids for stopping you doing what you want to do

Before you know it your kids will be off enjoying themselves without you, enjoy them while you have them, don't resent them for cramping your style.
Something that seems to have been lost along the way....
- initially (read my first post), I was asking for feedback on interesting things to do/places to go in the Perth area that were baby friendly (and weren`t `shopping` related). I got some great feedback, mainly from Simone.

At no point (as far as I know), have I given the impression that I blame or resent my kids for ANYTHING. I want to do things that can INCLUDE them, that`s one of the main criteria. I think you have misinterpreted me, or I haven`t communicated well enough.

Apart from that, I agree with you entirely, and I encourage EVERYONE to have kids as they really are amazing......

This is Damaris Aubrey Fire Storm, now 14 months old (nearly 10 months old in the photo).
Attached Thumbnails Things to do in Perth (SAVE US!!)-img_0064.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
Breeding little aussies

Sorry if i picked you up wrong on that stormz, it wasn't intentional. i've found that here life in general is much more kid friendly, when someone invites you round for dinner, you are expected to bring the kids, or maybe it's just because most of our friends have kids i don't know. The only thing our little Indie hasnt done with us so far is come to the footy, but he will do before the season ends!!!

Your wee one is a real cutie

Lynn
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 12:58 pm
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Sorry if i picked you up wrong on that stormz, it wasn't intentional.
Your wee one is a real cutie
np Lynn, I know what you`re like so knew it wasn`t intentional.

Cheers, she is a real cutie... and will have a little sister in about 6 weeks

When I get the chance I`m going to do a website of entertainment in/around Perth (with or without kids, with or without money). Compared to the UK or over East of course there`s little here, but I`ll dig up as much as I can....

Pity we don`t even have a Perth Entertainment Centre any more
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 1:25 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I was in Perth in June (Fremantle and surrounds)...it rained three times while we were there. Not too bad really.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 4:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Try the Fremantle Gaol candlelight tour.... spooky!
Damn right, it's more than spooky - it's terrifying!!!!

A young lady on our tour looked through a cell peephole and saw a person in the cell, when her boyfriend, and I took turns to look we found it to have been painted over and totally opaque - spooky or what!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

What is the Elizabethan village pub? Is it just a pub?

First let me qualify (to those that don`t know me), that I was born in Perth. Just came back from 10 years in the UK, for the kids & grandparents sake.

AND..... I find Perth just as boring as it ever was. God knows why so many Poms want to actually live here. All the family here seem to do is go for coffees at `x` shopping centre every week (thursday nights and saturday mornings) and the cannington dog track on some tuesdays (or is it wednesdays?) for their buffet meal ($16 all you can eat... pretty good actually) and watch a poor defensless fluffy toy be chased by some skinny mutts. Oh, and for REAL excitement they visit Lesmurdie Dam and have an over-priced burger. Kings Park is great (once or twice), Beaches are great (once or twice), and pubs are lifeless (even the fake English one in the Elizabethan Village in Armadale). Most places of `fun` you`d only go to once (or twice when you get desperate)... like the Reptile Park in Armadale.

Actually, it`s true what that comedian said.... flying from the eastern states to Perth is like your own personal time machine... land in Perth and you`re back in 1984. The music they have on the radio is practically the same damn playlist that was playing in 1988 when I finished high school. Nearly everywhere looks exactly the same. No character at all to all those flat roofs of businesses and shops. All shopping centres have the (mainly) same stores (although the same is true of most English towns.. but at least the towns had character.... unlike `London Court`).

Didn`t mean this to become a rant... but we`re BORED!!!! We were bored after 2 weeks!

So, the challenge to you is: Where can you go in Perth that
(a) doesn`t cost an arm and a leg and
(b) is somewhere you`d actually like to visit more than twice.

Or have I already mentioned the most obvious places:
Lesmurdie Falls
any damn DAM
Adventure World
Underwater World
Hilary`s Boat Harbour
The (boring) Bell Tower
Fremantle Markets
Subiaco Markets (is there a trend here?)
Adventure World (when it`s open)
Kalamunda Water Slides (when it`s open)
The cinema.
The beach.
Elizabethan Village Pub.
Perth City Centre.

Or are you all just as bored as we are?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

There is a book called "Kids in Perth" that has lots of good stuff about things to do with children. Its worth a look..

Ali

np Lynn, I know what you`re like so knew it wasn`t intentional.

Cheers, she is a real cutie... and will have a little sister in about 6 weeks

When I get the chance I`m going to do a website of entertainment in/around Perth (with or without kids, with or without money). Compared to the UK or over East of course there`s little here, but I`ll dig up as much as I can....

Pity we don`t even have a Perth Entertainment Centre any more
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:37 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Yeah I've got it but there's a serious omission - it doesn't mention dogs! I need a book called 'Things to Do with Kids and Dogs in Perth'. Could this be the opening in the market that I need?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

EEEEk ! Don't they just play with each other and need no further amusement?
That was my cunning plan.....
Ali

Originally Posted by bal56
Yeah I've got it but there's a serious omission - it doesn't mention dogs! I need a book called 'Things to Do with Kids and Dogs in Perth'. Could this be the opening in the market that I need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.