Tasmania

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:56 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by WEBBS
No worries Kay. I'd noticed that you were thinking of validating in Queensland. Sounds like a good idea to me. Hopefully one of your viewers will buy your place soon and allow you and Colin the chance to do what you have planned. We're looking forward to meeting you both.

Good luck and best wishes, Peter
Hiya didnt see your reply earlier DOH

Things are a bit of a nightmare here, got my mum in hospital at the mo.

Had a viewer on Sunday but no bloody feedback yet

Hows the weather come on cheer me up.

Kay
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:29 am
Just Joined

claireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Claireyloo

Great to hear from another Taswegian How are you finding it out there?? do you like it?

We have our visas and are hopefully going to live around the Hobart area, just trying to sell the house which has been a nightmare.

Keep in touch with us

Possoms
hey possoms
thanks for the reply, tasmania is a beautiful place for people who enjoy the 'outdoor life'. hobart is a great city and i reckon would offer many more opportunities for work etc than the north west. i love visiting hobart, but it takes a good 3-4 hours drive from the north coast so we generally go for weekends away and of course the falls festival which is the only place to be over the new year!
my tasmanian fiance is a keen surfer so we spend most weekends camping on the west coast around marrawah and sandy cape, which is truly an amazing place!!! of course there are things i really miss from home, family and friends mainly, but everyone here is keen 'to get to know the pomme newcomer' so you soon meet people, after all taking the mickey out of us pommies is a favourite past-time of aussies.....what would they do without us ah?
good luck with selling your house, at least you have your visa sorted...ahhh
whereabouts in the uk are you?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:36 am
Just Joined

claireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant futureclaireyloo has a brilliant future

Hello Claireyloo,

Are you the girl that works in the the ladies fashion, gift shop in Burnie...with the oz boyfriend.

We were staying with my uncle and aunt at Henrietta near Yolla for a couple of months last April. We moved to a rental in Spreyton and then bought a house in Trevallyn, Launceston in November.
My aunt works in the 'craft' shop in Somerset from time to time..drop by sometime and say hello, here name is Kate!

Cheers, Peter
hey peter
yep that's me!!!! HOW FUNNY
did i meet you in the shop, i always have a good chat to brits when they come in.
i go into the craft shop in somerset from time to time so i will say hi to your aunt next time.
so you made the big move, are you enjoying it in lonnie?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by claireyloo
hey possoms
thanks for the reply, tasmania is a beautiful place for people who enjoy the 'outdoor life'. hobart is a great city and i reckon would offer many more opportunities for work etc than the north west. i love visiting hobart, but it takes a good 3-4 hours drive from the north coast so we generally go for weekends away and of course the falls festival which is the only place to be over the new year!
my tasmanian fiance is a keen surfer so we spend most weekends camping on the west coast around marrawah and sandy cape, which is truly an amazing place!!! of course there are things i really miss from home, family and friends mainly, but everyone here is keen 'to get to know the pomme newcomer' so you soon meet people, after all taking the mickey out of us pommies is a favourite past-time of aussies.....what would they do without us ah?
good luck with selling your house, at least you have your visa sorted...ahhh
whereabouts in the uk are you?
Hi Claireyloo

Sounds fab, glad your enjoying it

We are in Stoney Middleton in the Peak District. My partner is a carpenter have been told plenty of work for him.

but what about me did you find getting a job pretty easy??

Kay
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Hiya didnt see your reply earlier DOH

Things are a bit of a nightmare here, got my mum in hospital at the mo.

Had a viewer on Sunday but no bloody feedback yet

Hows the weather come on cheer me up.

Kay
Kay,

Sorry to hear that your mum is hospital!

It's been really nice here. I had a 'half day' yesterday (Launceston Cup Day) and went fishing on the Tamar im my bosses boat(he's a Pom too). It was really nice weather and it was quite good looking up at the Batman bridge instead of driving across it. Oh yeah, we also caught a few flathead and i tasted my first 'Cooper's'. You could say that a good day was had by all!

When are you heading to Brisbane?

Peter
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

hey peter
yep that's me!!!! HOW FUNNY
did i meet you in the shop, i always have a good chat to brits when they come in.
i go into the craft shop in somerset from time to time so i will say hi to your aunt next time.
so you made the big move, are you enjoying it in lonnie?
Rosie and I came into the shop around May time and bought a little picture frame for our daughters bedroom. I remember mentioning the expate website to you. I take it you managed to get your visa sorted out?

Launceston is nice. It seems to get slightly better weather than up on the coast.? Buying a house has made us commit and help us settle. I work in Launceston so it saves me about 2 hours a day travelling time. The kids have settled into school and seem to be enjoyng life here.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Originally Posted by brisrob
Hope you all have great lives and all that but in IMHO Tas is definitely the single worst place I've ever voluntarlily paid frequent flyer points to have a look at. Totally overrated and overmarketed. Pretty close to the end of the universe, but there's a good restaurant nearby.
Should you ever decide to return to Tasmania wear armour plating...may you too have a great life....and kind regards
Oldgit

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:13 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Three Legs
What do people do in Tazzie ? ... Employment wise I mean, it looks a beautiful place to live.
you didnt need the qualifier-the first part of the question stands up on its own.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Rosie and I came into the shop around May time and bought a little picture frame for our daughters bedroom. I remember mentioning the expate website to you. I take it you managed to get your visa sorted out?

Launceston is nice. It seems to get slightly better weather than up on the coast.? Buying a house has made us commit and help us settle. I work in Launceston so it saves me about 2 hours a day travelling time. The kids have settled into school and seem to be enjoyng life here.
yes i remember, thanks for the tip, it's one of those things that i was meaning to do for ages but in true ausiie fashion, it took me nearly a year to check out xpats!!
remind me, where in the uk were you from? i also briefly remember meeting a family who moved to a dairy farm near yolla, they were from hampshire. and a scottish lady who's lived here for many years, she gave me a 'top' recipe for easy indian curry when i told her i was missing beer and curry!
i'm currently looking for work up here in burnie as i went home for 3 and a half months over christmas. i only had the working visa at that point so couldn't work for longer than 3 months, but before i left my spouse's visa came through, in fact your not gonna like this but mine actually took about 3 days from submission/interview! i couldn't believe it, one tip to everyone out there applying for their visa; dot every 'i' cross every 't' and provide as much information in your application as possible when you first submit it. and be open with them, they're there to help you, i couldn't sind their praises high enough. the main switchboard is crap though and will drive you insane, get a case worker asap!
at the moment i'm working the odd day at indigo house in burnie, but am looking for something more permanent. if you're ever up this way pop-in.
sounds like you are all pretty settled, that's lovely. i'm still finding it hard to be away from friends and family....i think living here with a local makes you abit slack in making your own friends!
enjoy your weekend
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:36 pm

Kay,

Sorry to hear that your mum is hospital!

It's been really nice here. I had a 'half day' yesterday (Launceston Cup Day) and went fishing on the Tamar im my bosses boat(he's a Pom too). It was really nice weather and it was quite good looking up at the Batman bridge instead of driving across it. Oh yeah, we also caught a few flathead and i tasted my first 'Cooper's'. You could say that a good day was had by all!

When are you heading to Brisbane?

Peter
Yeaaa sounds like a good day and how did you find the Coopers???

We arrive in Brisbane 3rd June leave on the 9th very short and sweet!!

Kay
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jateai
Does anyone living in/ moving to Tasmania know the Glenorchy area of Hobart? We are looking at moving to this area end of 2006 beginning of 2007.
my partner works in glenorchy-crime capital of hobart.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
my partner works in glenorchy-crime capital of hobart.
Helena you are there, woohooo I'm sorry I have only just seen your post on the other thread saying that you've got there.

Soooo how is it? do you like it there? have you got a job? where are you living?? I want to know all about it

and what do you mean by Glenorchy crime capital of Hobart?? is it rough?

still no luck with selling our house

Kay
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:31 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

she gave me a 'top' recipe for easy indian curry when i told her i was missing beer and curry!
OH Yum! Pretty please can you post the recipe so we can all try it
Old Apr 7th 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Helena you are there, woohooo I'm sorry I have only just seen your post on the other thread saying that you've got there.

Soooo how is it? do you like it there? have you got a job? where are you living?? I want to know all about it

and what do you mean by Glenorchy crime capital of Hobart?? is it rough?

still no luck with selling our house

Kay
hi kay
helena works in glenorchy and it's one of the less affluent areas of hobart. there seems to be a higher percentage of people there on welfare/assistance, also in areas like chigwell, moonah, lutana etc than in the southern part of the city.
in the mercury there is a daily crime report column and most of this action seems to occur in the areas north of north hobart-i'm not suggesting that if you're less well off you're more likely to nick stuff, but that's just a couple of observations.

we're renting in battery point at the moment, which is fairly central so good for access to the middle of town for bars, restaurants etc. we live in what's described as a colonial cottage, 3 bedrooms/dining area/kitchen/bathroom/courtyard for $350 pw but prices in b. point are slightly higher than the 'burbs. fave restaurants so far are fish frenzy(upmarket fish'n'chips with a bar), blue skies (good seafood), and mure's (more seafood), and irish murphy's pub, and the new sydney hotel for good ale and live bands.

we both had jobs arranged before we left so no problems there-hel in glenorchy so she catches the bus fron elizabeth street which takes 20 min, and i work in kingston which is 15 min by car from home down the southern outlet (freeway). commuting here generally takes a lot less time than we're used to so for the first time in my life i've become punctual!

let me know if you'd like more detailed info about anything-good luck with the house.

btw-at the moment the weather's a bit too english-rain and about 12C but set to improve for the w/end.

oh well, back to work this arvo then out on the pop tonight!

see ya
ian
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
hi kay
helena works in glenorchy and it's one of the less affluent areas of hobart. there seems to be a higher percentage of people there on welfare/assistance, also in areas like chigwell, moonah, lutana etc than in the southern part of the city.
in the mercury there is a daily crime report column and most of this action seems to occur in the areas north of north hobart-i'm not suggesting that if you're less well off you're more likely to nick stuff, but that's just a couple of observations.

we're renting in battery point at the moment, which is fairly central so good for access to the middle of town for bars, restaurants etc. we live in what's described as a colonial cottage, 3 bedrooms/dining area/kitchen/bathroom/courtyard for $350 pw but prices in b. point are slightly higher than the 'burbs. fave restaurants so far are fish frenzy(upmarket fish'n'chips with a bar), blue skies (good seafood), and mure's (more seafood), and irish murphy's pub, and the new sydney hotel for good ale and live bands.

we both had jobs arranged before we left so no problems there-hel in glenorchy so she catches the bus fron elizabeth street which takes 20 min, and i work in kingston which is 15 min by car from home down the southern outlet (freeway). commuting here generally takes a lot less time than we're used to so for the first time in my life i've become punctual!

let me know if you'd like more detailed info about anything-good luck with the house.

btw-at the moment the weather's a bit too english-rain and about 12C but set to improve for the w/end.

oh well, back to work this arvo then out on the pop tonight!

see ya
ian
Hi Ian

You see this is my kinda post, close to bars and restaurants and out on the pop tonight fantastic

thanks for the info, I've noticed the properties in the places you mention around Glenorchy seem to be cheaper, know I know why.

350pw rental seems pretty reasonable Battery Point is next to the city isnt it? can you get a bus in at night or taxi or even walk? Still fancying Sandy Bay, what do you think of that area?

Is there a lot of crime there?

I know you already had jobs to go to, but does there seem plenty of work?

other half is a carpenter, would you check the local papers for me, can't apply but it would be good to know how many are advertised if any!!.

All in all are you happy there do you think you made the right choice?

So many questions sorry

Kay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.