Tasmania

Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:44 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by flowerpot
hi we have just got our visa thru and will be immigrating to tasmania in may, june time from the uk,i just registered x pats today will you be able to give us any tips or info or anybody else in tassy with regards to shipping dogs and container goods or anything else we should now about to keep our stress levels down :scared: many thanks flowerpot
Congrats on the visa Flowerpot and welcome to the forum

Cant help on the pet shipping as we dont have any but if you do a search at the top of the forum you will find lots of info on shipping pets.

Same goes for your container goods, been lots of threads on removal companies we personally are using PSS but there are lots of them.

Possoms
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:29 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by flowerpot
hi we have just got our visa thru and will be immigrating to tasmania in may, june time from the uk,i just registered x pats today will you be able to give us any tips or info or anybody else in tassy with regards to shipping dogs and container goods or anything else we should now about to keep our stress levels down :scared: many thanks flowerpot
Congrtatulations flowerpot!!
Wish you all the very best.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:45 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Smile Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by WEBBS
The Tasmanian economy relies on farming,forestry,mining,tourism as well as some heavy industry(Zinifex Zinc Smelter, Smorgon Steel, Ecka Granules) and many other small, more important industry, Boag's and Cascade brewery. There is also a plan to build a large pulp mill in the north which would bring many benefits to the economy, although the environment would probably suffer to some degree.
I understand that the economy didn't fair too well around 10-15 years ago and unemployment was really high but things have improved alot in recent years. We moved here last April and I found work within a week of arriving, so it can't be too bad!
Hi Webbs, Is it really as beautiful as it looks out there?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

brisrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you all have great lives and all that but in IMHO Tas is definitely the single worst place I've ever voluntarlily paid frequent flyer points to have a look at. Totally overrated and overmarketed. Pretty close to the end of the universe, but there's a good restaurant nearby.

Last edited by brisrob; Feb 5th 2006 at 4:21 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 5:29 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natty
Hi there Swervo

My husband and I live in Hobart. We emigrated here 9 months ago. My husband is a manager of Hays recruitment and would certainly try to help you find work. He deals with all kinds of mechanical engineers and would love to help

his email is [email protected]

Tassie is a brilliant place to live

nat xxx
Hi Natty,

thanks for your reply - Sorry it's taken me so long to get back but my computer is on the blink.

Thanks for passing on your husbands contact details - I will definitely mail him this week. I will tidy up my CV a bit first. It would be good to get some relevant Aussie feedback on my CV to see exactly how employable I really am, and also to see how my CV stands the scrutiny of the modern job market. Been out of it in education for three years now, and I think that perhaps it looks a little tired!

I'm glad you are enjoying Tassie - It seems that everyone who goes there does!

Thanks for the offer of help,

S
Old Feb 5th 2006, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fireeater]Sounds good...but remember, you'll be without internet for a while :scared:[/QUOTE

Oh Sh!t :scared:
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:02 pm
MicheleandBarry

Smile Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by mashy
We`re going on a 136 skilled independent, which we are hoping to get in the next few weeks. It depends on how quick we sell the house. A.S.A.P Can`t wait to start our new life!
Hi Mashy,
Can i be nosy(am a woman its my job!!) and ask what your skilled independent jobs are?
I am a cook,and my partner at the mo is a firefighter training as a plumber.
looking as though we will put in for the 136,although still gettin head around all the visa info,would be grateful for any advice or info,
Cheers x
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:50 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisrob
Hope you all have great lives and all that but in IMHO Tas is definitely the single worst place I've ever voluntarlily paid frequent flyer points to have a look at. Totally overrated and overmarketed. Pretty close to the end of the universe, but there's a good restaurant nearby.
Be careful using free speech on this thread mate. The Anglo Tasmanian wing of Al-Queda are in operation.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Photos of Tasmania.

A few more.

Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:15 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nice link Vash - you spent a few years in Tas yourself didn`t you??
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:33 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 15 years in the Tamar Valley; Rosevears Drive, to be precise. Not far from Brady's Lookout.

Went back there to visit shortly before moving to the UK... nothing had changed since 1996!

But on my return to the mainland, I realised that this was a good thing.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

cavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nice
Cool Re: Tasmania

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm a fluids engineer by qualification, though right now I'm teaching at secondary school. I've had a lot of problems getting my teaching qualifications recognised in Oz - infact, I'm registered to teach only in NSW private schools, and I'm sure the same problems would present themselves if I tried to register in Tas.

That said, I'd really like to go back into academia/research in the field I did my PhD in, but that's pretty narrow, and I've been waiting for a suitable lectureship/project to come up for some time. May have to shelve this plan and look for something else.

Anyway, Tas doesn't look desperately good for either teaching or fluid mechanics.

S
Can I ask what teaching qualifications you have? I was wondering because I have a PGCE on top of my BSc(Hons). I am only in the initial stages of gathering the finances for the visa application so I have time to look over my options on areas of Oz to look at.

I was also thinking of Tazmania, so can you expand on your comment about Taz not looking good for teachers? Is that just for secondary schools, or certain subjects? I need all the information I can get, thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 12:09 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavysqueak
Can I ask what teaching qualifications you have? I was wondering because I have a PGCE on top of my BSc(Hons). I am only in the initial stages of gathering the finances for the visa application so I have time to look over my options on areas of Oz to look at.

I was also thinking of Tazmania, so can you expand on your comment about Taz not looking good for teachers? Is that just for secondary schools, or certain subjects? I need all the information I can get, thanks.
Hi Cavy,

No, just not looking good for me unfortunately.

You will probably be OK. I did my PGCE through an FE college, not a Uni, and because of that I can't get it accepted anywhere. Apparently it's not considered to be academically rigourous enough, so I am limited to teaching in the private sector in NSW unless I get something else sorted out, which seems unlikely, in the short term anyway. Your PGCE must be from a RECOGNISED higher education establishment, and where I did my training isn't recogniesd.

In brief, you generally (though there have been some exceptions) need one of the following:

A 4 year BEd or a 3 year Bachelor degree with a PGCE/Diploma of education tacked on the end (Probably what you did). They don't recognise the QTS certificate in Australia, just the certificate awarded from the University you attended. As far as I am aware there is no requirement for you to complete the NQT year, but you may need to do this anyway if you need the work experience points. Sometimes the state requirments can be more stringent than the NOOSR (National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition) ones - Some states - NSW being one - insist that to teach certain subjects you must have particular elements within your degree as well as the teacher training. Look into which ones do before you make a decision about where you plan to go. A friend of mine fell foul of this and was asked to go back to Uni and complete an additional two modules of English.

There is some contention over 3 year BEd courses - many of which don't qualify for registration now. This is another matter, and affects both immigrant and native teachers with that qualification. Try searching the forum for more on that - I'm no expert with that.

If you need to get your skills assessment as a teacher, the best thing to do is to download the explanatory notes from the NOOSR site, and make sure that you qualify to start with. When you apply, you don't need to send tons of supporting evidence, just your certificates, identification etc and a reference from each school that you have worked at.

Then look at the requirements and explanatory notes for each of the states and territories and make sure that you can comply with them too, so that you don't end up with a visa, but are unable to register to teach (like me!)

Hope that helps.

S
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

cavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nicecavysqueak is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi Cavy,

No, just not looking good for me unfortunately.

You will probably be OK. I did my PGCE through an FE college, not a Uni, and because of that I can't get it accepted anywhere. Apparently it's not considered to be academically rigourous enough, so I am limited to teaching in the private sector in NSW unless I get something else sorted out, which seems unlikely, in the short term anyway. Your PGCE must be from a RECOGNISED higher education establishment, and where I did my training isn't recogniesd.

In brief, you generally (though there have been some exceptions) need one of the following:

A 4 year BEd or a 3 year Bachelor degree with a PGCE/Diploma of education tacked on the end (Probably what you did). They don't recognise the QTS certificate in Australia, just the certificate awarded from the University you attended. As far as I am aware there is no requirement for you to complete the NQT year, but you may need to do this anyway if you need the work experience points. Sometimes the state requirments can be more stringent than the NOOSR (National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition) ones - Some states - NSW being one - insist that to teach certain subjects you must have particular elements within your degree as well as the teacher training. Look into which ones do before you make a decision about where you plan to go. A friend of mine fell foul of this and was asked to go back to Uni and complete an additional two modules of English.

There is some contention over 3 year BEd courses - many of which don't qualify for registration now. This is another matter, and affects both immigrant and native teachers with that qualification. Try searching the forum for more on that - I'm no expert with that.

If you need to get your skills assessment as a teacher, the best thing to do is to download the explanatory notes from the NOOSR site, and make sure that you qualify to start with. When you apply, you don't need to send tons of supporting evidence, just your certificates, identification etc and a reference from each school that you have worked at.

Then look at the requirements and explanatory notes for each of the states and territories and make sure that you can comply with them too, so that you don't end up with a visa, but are unable to register to teach (like me!)

Hope that helps.

S
Thank you! That was just the information I needed. Its so nice to have finally found people who will help me at this early stage! I have a PGCE from Newcastle-upon-Tyne Uni, so hopefully that will be recognised!!

Are you teaching science? How different do you find the curriculum? I am trained in all subjects at KS2 and Science at KS3, but am also teaching maths at KS2 & 3 now as well! So would be intersted to know how different it seems from your point of view. I am an Environmental Biologist by degree, but teach all 3 main branches of science now. Do they teach the sciences seperately?

Can you tell me of a website that is equivalent to the national curriculum one, so I can compare the Australian curriculum?

Thank you for any further help!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by cavysqueak
Can you tell me of a website that is equivalent to the national curriculum one, so I can compare the Australian curriculum?
Australia doesn't have a national curriculum; every state does its own thing.

Fortunately, the differences between them don't present a problem when you're moving from one state to the next - but it can be awkward if you're trying to find out what the curriculum structure will look and you haven't worked out where you're going to live yet.

A set of National Curriculum frameworks were compiled at one stage, and for a while it looked as if the federal government had succeeded in getting all the states to sign on. But at the last minute, WA and Tassie pulled out... followed shortly by SA. From that point, it was back to square one again.

They went ahead and published the National Curriculum framework anyway, and these were made available as teaching resources for anyone who wanted them. I had to familiarise myself with them when I was doing my B.Ed. back in the 90s; some of it looked like pretty good to me while other parts (geography and history in particular) seemed hopelessly compromised by feminism and political correctness.

If you need specific information on Australian curricula, you could do worse than clicking here.
They've got plenty of links there, and at least one of them should point you in the right direction. If worst comes to worst, you could always email them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.