Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Sydney and like Indie music?

In Sydney and like Indie music?

Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all
Default Re: In Sydney and like Indie music?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Thanks. It's ok if you can't do it, no probs
you should have the email now... let me know if it doesnt get through
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vix77
you should have the email now... let me know if it doesnt get through

If it doesn't work, let me know, and I can 7zip it for you...

S
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:37 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Nu-Shooz : Siouxsie Sioux has just released a new record. It was played for the first time on BBC R6 for the first time this morning. I didn't get to hear it as I was off out to work.

If you can listen to BBC R6 online (via BBC website) then it is the best for indie music without being contaminated by emo & generic crap. Plus it does have quite a generous playlist in terms of genres. & they put in a good mix of oldies but not so much that you feel like a relic! Stephen Merchant's Sunday show is a good one - you can listen to previous shows on the "listen again" feature. He has guests & listeners reccing tracks so you get to hear all sorts of stuff.

What is the age range of people at these pub/club nights? We might be interested when we get over there in Sep - probly not me so much as I've been off gigs for a bit except for festies but OH is already checking out what's on at lunar park!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

oh - i know that song... when i first moved over here i went to a bar where they played that and the place went mental... i was really worried in case that was the best it was going to get - almost jumped on the next plane home - its an awful song... not as bad as 'The Dragons - Rain' the lyrics are something to behold.... i recommend you listen to it sometime, it never fails to amuse me how bad music can get...
I heard it vix.... its a musical masterpiece....hard to actually listen to the whole song.
reckon most of Sydney lived by the lyrics judging by the empty streets if it was wet when I was living there
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Nu-Shooz : Siouxsie Sioux has just released a new record. It was played for the first time on BBC R6 for the first time this morning. I didn't get to hear it as I was off out to work.

If you can listen to BBC R6 online (via BBC website) then it is the best for indie music without being contaminated by emo & generic crap. Plus it does have quite a generous playlist in terms of genres. & they put in a good mix of oldies but not so much that you feel like a relic! Stephen Merchant's Sunday show is a good one - you can listen to previous shows on the "listen again" feature. He has guests & listeners reccing tracks so you get to hear all sorts of stuff.

What is the age range of people at these pub/club nights? We might be interested when we get over there in Sep - probly not me so much as I've been off gigs for a bit except for festies but OH is already checking out what's on at lunar park!
www.kexp.org is another good on-line radio station, it is based in seattle but if you go to the archive bit and select John Richards morning show it has loads of good new british bands and the best of the american ones, no emo in sight. i discovered loads of new bands listening to it.

the age range varies a lot in the pubs we go to - you have the people in the early twenties to people in the mid 30s, the main dj is in his mid 30's so plays lots of the classics along with the new stuff and the other djs are younger so you get a good mix. definitely worth checking out - along Broadway there are 4 pubs in a row which all play similar stuff so there is plenty of choice if one bar doesn't quite fit.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I heard it vix.... its a musical masterpiece....hard to actually listen to the whole song.
reckon most of Sydney lived by the lyrics judging by the empty streets if it was wet when I was living there
'don't you go out in the rain... don't go out in the... pouring rain' genius! they don't make music like that anymore
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

'don't you go out in the rain... don't go out in the... pouring rain' genius! they don't make music like that anymore
It was a trial to get through the intro waiting for the lyrics
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:05 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

the age range varies a lot in the pubs we go to - you have the people in the early twenties to people in the mid 30s, the main dj is in his mid 30's so plays lots of the classics along with the new stuff and the other djs are younger so you get a good mix. definitely worth checking out - along Broadway there are 4 pubs in a row which all play similar stuff so there is plenty of choice if one bar doesn't quite fit.
Good, we are not too old yet then! Thanx for the radio recc
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Ju12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm missed the beginning of this post so hopefully someone is still checking this thread.

LOVE any kind of indie night, was the one you were on about at the beginning of hte thread "Boys & Girls" at Spectrum one Friday by any chance cos that looked fab and I missed it and haven't seen a repeat performance...?

Anyway, more dates and places please and we can have a good old bop.

jx
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:17 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ju12
Hmmm missed the beginning of this post so hopefully someone is still checking this thread.

LOVE any kind of indie night, was the one you were on about at the beginning of hte thread "Boys & Girls" at Spectrum one Friday by any chance cos that looked fab and I missed it and haven't seen a repeat performance...?

Anyway, more dates and places please and we can have a good old bop.

jx

I went to that - It was agreat night out - I really love Spectrum - it's such an intimate little place.

As for more, we're meeting at The Clare on Broadway this evening for Britpop Classics if you are interested...

S
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Ju12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Swerv...

Christmassing in the BM's this weekend but have noted the Broadway recommendations and need to get meself down there sometime. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Love Spectrum cos it is only about a 10 minute stagger home for me. Need to make more use of it!!

BTW my top tips for aussie bands are Dappled Cities Fly and Belles Will Ring... please keep tips coming though folks!

jx
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Swerv...

Christmassing in the BM's this weekend but have noted the Broadway recommendations and need to get meself down there sometime. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Love Spectrum cos it is only about a 10 minute stagger home for me. Need to make more use of it!!

BTW my top tips for aussie bands are Dappled Cities Fly and Belles Will Ring... please keep tips coming though folks!

jx
thanks for the tips... i am trying to get into the aussie band scene a bit more, the only decent ones i have found so far are The Bungalows and The Holidays... dont think either are signed yet but they are on myspace and worth checking out

You should try to make it out next sat for the britpop night - there are quite a few people coming along to that so it should be a good night - plenty of dancing to be had!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Swerv...

jx
i think i have seen belles will ring - they supported cold war kids at the forum? very simon and garfunkel
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OK - so for those of you reading this who have nothing to do tonight and want to come out for a drink... there will be a couple of us out at The Clare Hotel on Broadway opposite the UTS from 9pm.. look out for a very tall person with glasses (very tall) he is one of the DJs so he will be milling around there and ask him for Vicky and I will appear....

maybe see you there...?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:41 am
has lost The Game

...ask him for Vicky and I will appear....

maybe see you there...?

As if by magic? Like a certain shopkeeper?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.