Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunblock - don't forget it

Sunblock - don't forget it

Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:08 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sunblock - don't forget it

Originally Posted by Grayling
Columbia also make a lot of stuff which can be found in various loutlets.
Is a loutlet an outlet for louts?

b
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
Is a loutlet an outlet for louts?

b
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:22 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I use olive oil to get a really good tan.
Na, coconut oil is better for that Elephant hide look!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:29 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Friends 11 yr old daugher girl went to the beach for 5 hours, a few days later her skin, blonde kid, parents are english, was covered in freckles, I mean 200/300 big dark freckles, family totally horrified at the change in her face.

Ive seen my kids come back from camp with all the sun protection going with another mole or 3 but this was bloody awful, pretty kid one minute face totally ruined the next.
This is a shame as everytime she goes in the sun the freckles will appear. I should know i am covered in them.

And before anyone asks no not all over only areas exposed to the sun! Never wear anything less than Factor 30 now and a hat.

Does anyone know where they sell very light weight cotton ladies shirts? Normal longsleeved shirts are to hot to wear here.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
This is a shame as everytime she goes in the sun the freckles will appear. I should know i am covered in them.

And before anyone asks no not all over only areas exposed to the sun! Never wear anything less than Factor 30 now and a hat.

Does anyone know where they sell very light weight cotton ladies shirts? Normal longsleeved shirts are to hot to wear here.
Try BCF fishing stores.....they stock a range of women's sun shirts.

There is a branch in Noosa.....not sure about Hervey bay.

G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Try BCF fishing stores.....they stock a range of women's sun shirts.

There is a branch in Noosa.....not sure about Hervey bay.

G
there is a branch on Boat harbour drive in Hervey bay.

G
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:35 pm
The Brains

Originally Posted by jad n rich
but this was bloody awful, pretty kid one minute face totally ruined the next.
This is a terrible comment to make. Some of us have freckles genetically the sun just makes them darker. Thanks for saying I am ugly because of it!

This young lady would have had freckles anyway but long exposure to the sun will have brought them out. If she stays out of the sun and/or uses total sun block then they will fade over time.

People like you should zip their mouths before speaking.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:37 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I read somewhere that there is a hole in the Ozone layer above Oz and as such it is more likely that you will burn (in the winter too) as there isn't the protection. Not sure how true it is, or if it's just an urban legend.

Also, I was told that to avoid complacency in Oz anything above factor 30 isn't available so as to stop people putting on factor 40 and sweating and swimming all day and not topping up. Again not sure it it's true.

When we were over last summer, we bought the kids ankle to neck sun suits (leggings and long sleeve tops) and bush hats which really did the trick as they didn't get even vaguely brown. Not that we're paranoid or anything!
its actually over Antartica it appears in spring and drifts over Australia before closing. Tasmania has very high UV

http://soer.justice.tas.gov.au/2003/...ue/5/index.php
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:42 pm
The Brains

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's a fact, the face was ruined by 200/300 large freckles.
Mrs JTL
That's your opinion! Not everyone can have milky smooth skin and look perfect. The barbie plastic face look is not a good one but maybe in your eyes it is!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:57 pm
The Brains

Originally Posted by margy
Hi,

I've used it in the strongest heat in Florida and never burned. M
Hi Margy,

I think you are missing the point here. What is suitable in Florida is not necessarily suitable for use in OZ and this is probably why it is not sold here.

Australia has much thinner Ozone cover than Florida and the UK/Europe therefore a different type of sun screen is required. The norm is to purchase the products that are sold in the location you are in as they have been developed for that location.

I lived in the Middle East for 11 years and believe me the sun is a lot hotter and stronger than in Florida also 364 days of the year. But I would only use products sold there and not the ones I could bring back from the UK to be on the safe side.

Trust me having worked for an international manufacturing company products are developed for regional use. They may appear to be the same packaging wise but the product inside will be different.

Just for instance take Nescafe coffee the jar will look the same but the product inside will taste totally different depending if you are in France, UK, Middle East, America or Australia. This is because the product is made for regional tastes - the same applies to sunscreen and many other product on the market.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:01 am
The Brains

there is a branch on Boat harbour drive in Hervey bay.

G
Thanks Grayling. Will look whist buying hubby's Xmas present. If I buy together then he will think I have spent more on his presssy than I actually have. Sneeky
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
This is a terrible comment to make. Some of us have freckles genetically the sun just makes them darker. Thanks for saying I am ugly because of it!

This young lady would have had freckles anyway but long exposure to the sun will have brought them out. If she stays out of the sun and/or uses total sun block then they will fade over time.

People like you should zip their mouths before speaking.

Freckles come out after exposure to the sun. As has been pointed out by several other people, nobody was said the child was ugly, far from it.

The point about the child was made as even after several years of living in QLD, I was still shocked at how extreme the sun is here. That many freckles appearing after one day at the beach, is extreme, that is why the point was made. The point was about the DAMAGE to the skin.

I have a whacking great scar on my neck from a skin cancer removal, my now 12 yr old has had one removed on his arm, freckles, scars, hardly about looks when your life can end because of that day of sun. FACT.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Never underestimate the ozzie sun. What worked for you in UK won't necessarily work in Oz and you have to try different products before you find one that lasts a few hours. Make sure your kids wear rashies or Tshirts too.

I got freckles within days of arriving in Australia from the UK. They faded as I got older, but I agree with the person who said it is a genetic thing. My British dad has freckles all over his arms and legs. Moles, however, are not necessarily linked to the sun. Two of my kids were born with moles and they all have a few, even though we cover up.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Fair enough. We've not had it for a few years so didn't know it covered UVA. I don't like the 'medium' bit though so wouldn't use it but horses for courses.
Hi,

Yeah my other half pointed this out too...think what I'll do is buy some on t'internet put it on and slather the normal vat I get from woolied on too, that way if I do forget to reapply I'm sort of safe, or am I going a step too far? Speaking as one whose forehead is about to peel.

I don't mind being white, I don't like burning. Even don't mind the comments shouted tonight by a passing hoolie "albino..." well if that's the worse he could shout I'd give him lessons on what real cursing is!

M
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
It scares me to think that there are still people that think a tan looks good.

I am having trouble finding decent long sleeve tops/blouses suitable for work that do not resemble maternity fashion with that vile empire line.

Trying to cover up in cool cotton clothing is nearly impossible, strappy vests are all the rage in the Perth shops, if anyone has any idea of where to get decent stuff that protects your shoulders/arms then that would be nice.
Katmandu - http://www.kathmandu.com.au/ have a range of clothes with spf of 30+ the website isn't brilliant but am told there is a shop in Perth. Definately have to go and have a look. Was told about it by a guy who goes walking a lot. He had this really fine cotton shirt but it had a good spf to it.

Hope that helps.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.