Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunblock - don't forget it

Sunblock - don't forget it

Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Sunblock - don't forget it

I'm guessing a few expats (like myself) aren't quite aware of how powerful the sun is over here.

I was out for literally 45mins or so yesterday and took my hat off occasionally, result = me with sunburn on the face. All because I didn't block.

Please remember to put block on as the weather warms. It doesn't have to be a particularly hot day for it to burn you.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:41 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunblock - don't forget it

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I'm guessing a few expats (like myself) aren't quite aware of how powerful the sun is over here.

I was out for literally 45mins or so yesterday and took my hat off occasionally, result = me with sunburn on the face. All because I didn't block.

Please remember to put block on as the weather warms. It doesn't have to be a particularly hot day for it to burn you.
I have been caught out a few times mainly in spring and autumn. I have a moisturiser with SPF in so at least I don't forget my face.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't need to be warm either. If you're going out for any amount of time, even in winter you can get burned.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:50 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Walked down to the beach for lunch today... walked around for about 15 mins looking for a nice place to have a sarnie..

Result? 1 decent lunch and daughter with red arms...

Sunblock sunblock sunblock...

Feel even worse as I had put sunblock on my arms and back/chest as I try to do each and every morning after my shower!! .. Bad mother of the year award goes to me.. again..

Em x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

DEFO use sun block. The thing i notice is that these Brits come over, sit on the beach all day as if they have never seen a beach before and look like lobsters

Sad but true.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
DEFO use sun block. The thing i notice is that these Brits come over, sit on the beach all day as if they have never seen a beach before and look like lobsters

Sad but true.
please tell me they have some superduper suncare products in Oz that last all day like the piz buin once a day one they have here. I find these the best for kids as i can slap it on before school in the morning and know that they are covered as they have to take suncream into school here but the teachers aren't allowed to put it on for them and how on earth are little 4 year olds expected to cover themselves properly.....not that in Scottish Perth we have to worry too much about the sun
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:45 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
please tell me they have some superduper suncare products in Oz that last all day like the piz buin once a day one they have here. I find these the best for kids as i can slap it on before school in the morning and know that they are covered as they have to take suncream into school here but the teachers aren't allowed to put it on for them and how on earth are little 4 year olds expected to cover themselves properly.....not that in Scottish Perth we have to worry too much about the sun
A lot of the time it isn't just because they aren't allowed to put it on. It isn't their responsibility and can you imagine how long it would take to sunscreen up 20 something children. At our Primary her in Oz Perth don't do it either.

Not sure about the products you mention but there are plenty of sunscreen products here which are designed for the strong UV here and are far cheaper IMO. My daughter at 4 took a roll on sunscreen to school which was easy to use for small hands.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I use olive oil to get a really good tan.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:55 am
Account Closed

The sunscreen here is fantastic.. proper sunscreen.. 30 factor and goes on like a slick oil paint.. paid about 15 dollars for a buckets worth from Coles... and it lasts for atleast 4 hours and is waterproof..

Em x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

nope longest I can find is 4 hours. But they do do roll ons which is a bit easier for kids though.

Not impressed with school for sunscreen though - I understand they can't do it but they never remind the kids to do it - or so the kids tell me at least. And when I asked the teachers about it the sheepish looks and excuses seem to back the kids up!!! On the plus side any kid who doesn't have a bucket or brim doesn't get to play outside.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:04 am
Account Closed

True - my son lost his hat and was told that he couldnt play out.. he was most disgusted!

Told him, tough! should look after his stuff... grrr!

Em x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

I got badly burned walking down the beach in September on a partially cloudy day, no sun block and then the sun came out when we were an hour down the beach. As it was a cool day and I was wearing a fleece and jeans, only my face got burned, and it looked like i'd had a chemical peel done. The upside of it was that I'd had rosacea since arriving in Oz, but this has cured it, not that I'd recommend it as a treatment though!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Ego baby sunscreen in the rollon - easy for kids to use and is the only sunscreen around that my daughter isn't allergic to. The Cancer Council do a great one with insect repellent in it - great for school excursions to botanical gardens etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.