Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sunblock - don't forget it

Sunblock - don't forget it

Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all
Default Re: Sunblock - don't forget it

Originally Posted by emelems
The sunscreen here is fantastic.. proper sunscreen.. 30 factor and goes on like a slick oil paint.. paid about 15 dollars for a buckets worth from Coles... and it lasts for atleast 4 hours and is waterproof..

Em x
This is the stuff I've been using but have been burnt twice in two weeks now, both times I've been on the beach. Although it's water resistant I obviously have to reapply when I've been in the sea. Yesterday I applied sunscreen, dressed, went to the beach, put on wet suit (I know I'm a whimp) snorkled, got out dried off and chatted for about an hour. My own stupid fault I burned, should have re-applied straight away. Result, my shoulders are glowing today and my nose is so red it would give rudolf a run for his money. I look like a serious alcoholic!

In the past have used P20 with no problems but can't seem to get it here. I'll ask family to post it to me

Sunburned and embarrased

M
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I'm guessing a few expats (like myself) aren't quite aware of how powerful the sun is over here.

I was out for literally 45mins or so yesterday and took my hat off occasionally, result = me with sunburn on the face. All because I didn't block.

Please remember to put block on as the weather warms. It doesn't have to be a particularly hot day for it to burn you.
I did exactly the sme at hillarys boat harbour on the beach,Saturday afternoon.

Im forgot my hat but thought i'd be ok ....result a very painful forehead, all my Oz mates at work just laughed at me

Slip Slop Slap everytime,
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER

Im forgot my hat but thought i'd be ok ....result a very painful forehead, all my Oz mates at work just laughed at me

Slip Slop Slap everytime,

Friends 11 yr old daugher girl went to the beach for 5 hours, a few days later her skin, blonde kid, parents are english, was covered in freckles, I mean 200/300 big dark freckles, family totally horrified at the change in her face.

Ive seen my kids come back from camp with all the sun protection going with another mole or 3 but this was bloody awful, pretty kid one minute face totally ruined the next.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ive seen my kids come back from camp with all the sun protection going with another mole or 3 but this was bloody awful, pretty kid one minute face totally ruined the next.
As the mother of an absolutely gorgeous girl with freckles, I think you should rethink the "pretty kid one minute, face totally ruined the next" remark!!!! My daughters freckles actually work in her favour, casting agents love them. My daughter has never been without sunscreen and has never been burnt, but she still has freckles, it's genetic. Your remarks are the type that cause lovely girls to go bleach their skin, get fake boobs and a nose job when they're perfect the way nature intended them to be.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

And don't forget sunnies and a hat. I suppose it's not a worry about skin cancer, its not wanting to have a face like a shrivelled up old prune!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kim67
As the mother of an absolutely gorgeous girl with freckles, I think you should rethink the "pretty kid one minute, face totally ruined the next" remark!!!! My daughters freckles actually work in her favour, casting agents love them. My daughter has never been without sunscreen and has never been burnt, but she still has freckles, it's genetic. Your remarks are the type that cause lovely girls to go bleach their skin, get fake boobs and a nose job when they're perfect the way nature intended them to be.
I never knew getting a boob/ nose job got rid of freckles!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I never knew getting a boob/ nose job got rid of freckles!
No, but being told you're freckles are unattractive certainly doesn't improve your self esteem. Believe me, I have a sister-in-law that's drop dead gorgeous and is so paranoid about her freckles, that she's never seen without her makeup, she's also tried bleaching her skin and has had a boob job - kids have enough to cope with seeing airbrushed magazines and anorexic models in their face everyday without these sort of comments from their parents friends.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My comment to her parents was she looked cute. However you cant ignore that that amount of freckles appearing in one day is very serious sundamage. Many a person has skin cancer from such serious sundamage, thats all it takes one session and down the line that damage can kill you.

I did not mean to offend you, just well aware of how bloody dangerous the sun is here. My father has freckles, no problem with them, however hes had them all his life, they didnt just appear in one day, which was what I was talking about!!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My comment to her parents was she looked cute. However you cant ignore that that amount of freckles appearing in one day is very serious sundamage. Many a person has skin cancer from such serious sundamage, thats all it takes one session and down the line that damage can kill you.

I did not mean to offend you, just well aware of how bloody dangerous the sun is here. My father has freckles, no problem with them, however hes had them all his life, they didnt just appear in one day, which was what I was talking about!!
Yep, I do know how dangerous the sun can be, but freckles can just appear overnight. The parents should be taking good care of her skin, but if the kid has lived in the UK her whole life and all of a sudden is hanging out on an australian beach, and she's genetically predisposed to getting freckles, they will appear even without sunburn.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:19 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

The Cancer Council do a great one with insect repellent in it - great for school excursions to botanical gardens etc.
Excellent idea! cheers!

Em x
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:37 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emelems
The sunscreen here is fantastic.. proper sunscreen.. 30 factor and goes on like a slick oil paint.. paid about 15 dollars for a buckets worth from Coles... and it lasts for atleast 4 hours and is waterproof..
We have the pump-action 1 litre bottles of 30+ in every bathroom. I've just got into the habit of slapping it on after a shower every morning. The more of a habit it becomes, the less likely it is that I'll forget.

Something that has surprised me a bit is seeing children whose parents have carefully covered them up and put hats on, and yet the parents themselves are tanned, hatless and in short sleeves. It's not everybody, of course, but there are a significant number. Also: a baseball cap doesn't really cut it as a sunhat, and yet I'd estimate they're the most common form of headgear.

Personally I like my big wide-brimmed Jacaru hat. But then, when you're completely bald you know you don't mess with sunburn!

Cheers
b
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I do know how dangerous the sun can be, but freckles can just appear overnight. The parents should be taking good care of her skin, but if the kid has lived in the UK her whole life and all of a sudden is hanging out on an australian beach, and she's genetically predisposed to getting freckles, they will appear even without sunburn.
A few freckles here and there might be cute, but as jad and rich said, "200/300 big dark freckles" all appearing overnight ?! Come on, you know the little comment wasn't meant to offend you, your child, me (who has gained a couple of dozens of freckles since living in Brisbane) or anyone else with freckles.

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:12 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
A few freckles here and there might be cute, but as jad and rich said, "200/300 big dark freckles" all appearing overnight ?! Come on, you know the little comment wasn't meant to offend you, your child, me (who has gained a couple of dozens of freckles since living in Brisbane) or anyone else with freckles.

Mrs JTL
Hear Hear !

Em x
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Mrs JTL
It was the way it was said "pretty kid one minute, face totally ruined the next" that I found offensive for the poor kid.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It was the way it was said "pretty kid one minute, face totally ruined the next" that I found offensive for the poor kid.
It's a fact, the face was ruined by 200/300 large freckles. Nothing in Jad and Rich's post suggested that the kid was told she was ugly because she was covered in freckles. How was that offensive to the kid or anyone else? Children are always beautiful in the eyes of their parents and that's all that matters. Stop worrying about this poor kid who doesn't even know we are discussing her here. Don't you have something to do? I've got to mop the floor now that I've finished hoovering...

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.