Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The stupidity of drivers

The stupidity of drivers

Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The stupidity of drivers

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
If anyone has any good (legal) tips on dealing with tailgaters then please let me know.
Left foot braking....

Keeping your right foot on the accerator pedal move your left foot and just touch the brake so your brake lights come on but you don't slow down....see how quickly they back off.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:49 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
A mate of mine had a switch wired to his brake lights, so, let them get real close then flick the switch. Childish but fun.
Light touch of the pedal does the same
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:49 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Left foot braking....

Keeping your right foot on the accerator pedal move your left foot and just touch the brake so your brake lights come on but you don't slow down....see how quickly they back off.
ta da!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Slam on the breaks works, or if highway use handbrake so they don't see your brake lights! ...

If they plough into you then they're simply not leaving enough room are they, and pretty much 100% of the time will be to blame too!
Great advice if you are 19 and don't care about the consequences.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Here's a funny thing, a while ago I was followed home by these numbskulls that put full beam on until there was a car coming the other way. So, I slowed right down thinking I'd rather have them in front of me than behind and they slowed too. This continued all the way (me having adjusted the rear-view mirror) until I turned off.

I recounted this story and at work as a 'look at the psychos you meet' and one of my workmates said she did the same ... she didn't realise (until told) that having full beam on will blind the car you are following so only dipped for on-coming traffic.

I was speechless.
That's crazy! I live in Sydney in a VERY built up area and have come across quite a few people driving with the full lights on in recent weeks.. How can these people not know when to use fulls and when to use dims?!!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

And they really can't use roundabouts here either.... !
They sit, waiting until the whole roundabout is clear of traffic!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I think so much of it just comes down to the tuition. Nearly all drivers were taught by their parents in this country it seems. There is just no discipline whatsoever in Australian (especially QLD) drivers. They are lazy (no indicators before they manoeuvre), impatient (deliberately running red lights, driving down hard shoulders in traffic, deliberately driving down one way streets because it is "quicker"), belligerent (turning right to cross single continuous white lines on road and subsequently holding up traffic behind them), ignorant (sitting in outside lanes when not overtaking anyone or there is no one to be seen ahead or driving with no lights on in the dark).

I've said it once and I'll say it again, you would think you were in some third world country where driver's licenses were handed out in exchange for a police bribe.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:07 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lou1003
And they really can't use roundabouts here either.... !
They sit, waiting until the whole roundabout is clear of traffic!
You've never been to QLD, right?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
the M1 white knuckle ride
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotfuss
That's crazy! I live in Sydney in a VERY built up area and have come across quite a few people driving with the full lights on in recent weeks.. How can these people not know when to use fulls and when to use dims?!!
The lights are a bane of my life, if it isn't full-beamers/fogs then it's the badly adjusted mob ... living out in the sticks you can't really avoid it ... I reckon the lack of a yearly roadworthiness test is to blame.

And then there is the drink driving ... some of things you see ... it really is like rewinding 20, 25 years compared to the UK.

I like my life out here but the driving standards are shocking.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:16 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by steve`o
the M1 white knuckle ride
I reckon the Southbound stretch from exit 24 down to whereever is just freaking Wacky Races ... 110 limit?!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

The lights are a bane of my life, if it isn't full-beamers/fogs then it's the badly adjusted mob ... living out in the sticks you can't really avoid it ... I reckon the lack of a yearly roadworthiness test is to blame.

And then there is the drink driving ... some of things you see ... it really is like rewinding 20, 25 years compared to the UK.

dosnt help when even the courts dont take drinking and driving seriously
if your over the limit and banned you can get a work licence to drive to and from work get caught speeding to many times and your walking for 3 months wtf is that about?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

I've never driven in the UK but before anyone else points it out I feel that unfortunately I have to admit that Irish drivers really aren't all the hot either!

I guess the whole getting a provisional license simply because you're 16 and being able to drive on the open road even if you have never driven before didn't help

The system has changed there in recent years but I do remember a huge pile up on a main motorway in Dublin some years back where a woman was actually killed simply because there was horrendous fog and people didn't know how to adapt their driving to suit the conditions..
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I spent 3 months in QLD, but never drove there!

Certainly in the NT, they have no clue how to use a roudabout - give way to the left, not the whole thing! Everyone just sits there waiting for everyone else....

Not in QLD?!

And yes they are VERY lazy - and seem not to understand the whole "signal and manouver" process - just do what you want, don't let anyone else know when you're changing lanes, turning... etc.

There was a guy killed here just outside Darwin a couple of days ago (3rd one in a year, at the same intersection), a roadtrain collided with a car. Someone ran a red light, but they don't know who, yet, apparently.
Last June a 21 year old girl was killed in the same situation, here.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:25 am
ABCDiamond

A mate of mine had a switch wired to his brake lights, so, let them get real close then flick the switch. Childish but fun.
Did you know me in the UK ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.