Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The stupidity of drivers

The stupidity of drivers

Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The stupidity of drivers

Originally Posted by lou1003
And they really can't use roundabouts here either.... !
They sit, waiting until the whole roundabout is clear of traffic!
They are taught to give way to the right.... but what they haven't been taught is to give way to those already ON the roundabout.

Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:27 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
dosnt help when even the courts dont take drinking and driving seriously
if your over the limit and banned you can get a work licence to drive to and from work get caught speeding to many times and your walking for 3 months wtf is that about?
Yup, that is cock-eyed for sure.

Originally Posted by hotfuss
I've never driven in the UK but before anyone else points it out I feel that unfortunately I have to admit that Irish drivers really aren't all the hot either!

I guess the whole getting a provisional license simply because you're 16 and being able to drive on the open road even if you have never driven before didn't help

The system has changed there in recent years but I do remember a huge pile up on a main motorway in Dublin some years back where a woman was actually killed simply because there was horrendous fog and people didn't know how to adapt their driving to suit the conditions..
I don't pretend that the driving was that flash in the UK (and MY driving in particular, especially years ago!) but part of the problem here is that I don't think people have learned to cope with increased traffic volume ...

Just watch a typical merge and it's painful ... I just shut my eyes (kidding, only when the OH or MIL are driving ...).

Any fog or rain here and it's bets off how long the journey will take ... some road conditions don't help either ... slippery, line markings disappearing, flooding at the slightest provocation.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 3 months in QLD, but never drove there!

Certainly in the NT, they have no clue how to use a roudabout - give way to the left, not the whole thing! Everyone just sits there waiting for everyone else....

Not in QLD?!

And yes they are VERY lazy - and seem not to understand the whole "signal and manouver" process - just do what you want, don't let anyone else know when you're changing lanes, turning... etc.

There was a guy killed here just outside Darwin a couple of days ago (3rd one in a year, at the same intersection), a roadtrain collided with a car. Someone ran a red light, but they don't know who, yet, apparently.
Last June a 21 year old girl was killed in the same situation, here.
No, my point was that in QLD with roundabouts, the theory tends to be that you just keep going until you hit someone. People don't stop here, let alone give way to the right or traffic already on the roundabout
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:28 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did you know me in the UK ?
Did you have a TR7 that could wink a headlight?

Did it get girls?

No.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
No, my point was that in QLD with roundabouts, the theory tends to be that you just keep going until you hit someone. People don't stop here, let alone give way to the right or traffic already on the roundabout
Haha, it's the opposite here! People just sit and wait forever, for no reason!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:32 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And they really can't use roundabouts here either.... !
They sit, waiting until the whole roundabout is clear of traffic!
Having said that, 90% of them coming round the roundabout will continue flashing right even though they are going to exit.

The very time you pull out in front of one is the time he will actually be continuing round. Been there, done it.

And it's in the RTA manual too - "You must indicate left if it's practical to do so"!

The whole approach is wrong - in traffic it basically means that the RTA assume everyone has a mental map of where each car has entered the roundabout, so as to keep track of what the indicators actually *mean*. Lunacy!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:33 am
Mostly Harmless

Actually in these parts I have found roundabouts to be pretty safe, people do actually wait an age if they see someone. My Aussie OH reckons it's because they are a fairly new invention and the locals are still getting used to them.

Like electricity
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Actually in these parts I have found roundabouts to be pretty safe, people do actually wait an age if they see someone. My Aussie OH reckons it's because they are a fairly new invention and the locals are still getting used to them.

Like electricity
When we bought a place in SW Florida in 1992 they'd just installed the first roundabout in Naples.

When we sold up in 2004 there were still regular letters in the local paper complaining that they were too complicated to use: which way do you turn, how do you leave them, can you change lanes to get off them etc?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Like electricity
and the wheel
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wol
Having said that, 90% of them coming round the roundabout will continue flashing right even though they are going to exit.

The very time you pull out in front of one is the time he will actually be continuing round. Been there, done it.

And it's in the RTA manual too - "You must indicate left if it's practical to do so"!

The whole approach is wrong - in traffic it basically means that the RTA assume everyone has a mental map of where each car has entered the roundabout, so as to keep track of what the indicators actually *mean*. Lunacy!
YES! They NEVER indicate off, GRRRR
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

Also, I think young girls are just as bad, they drive right up your backside,and more often than not are on the phone.
Was on a roundabout the other day,going straight over,when this dumb bimbo,roared up the inside lane,and turned in front of me cos she wanted the next exit. I had to do a quick swerve and carry on round the roundabout to avoid smacking into her.In every sense of the word.
I just dont think they are taught to a very high standard,and the general approach to driving is that if you made it home without hitting anything or anyone then No worries. Never mind you managed to piss off every other rd user
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:16 am
ABCDiamond

Same here in my part of QLD. But is suppose some do wait for too long and others don't. It depends on whether I am in a hurry or not

Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:29 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by What_a_life
and the wheel
In some parts of the world the population cry 'revolution!', around here we want 'evolution!'
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No matter how many times people see those "No driving in thongs" adverts they just WILL not listen
What's wrong with driving in thongs (flip flops)?

Is it illegal? What about bare foot?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice if you are 19 and don't care about the consequences.
I was told by a copper if you deliberately hit the breaks which in turn causes an accident, you will be held partially responsible - the penalties increasing in severity depending on how bad the accident is.

I have felt tempted to hit the breaks and on one or two occasions I have, but I dont want to be hit and I dont want to cause an accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.