Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Those are pictures of Eagle Heights on Tamborine mountain. There are 3 village areas on the mountain - Eagle Heights, North Tamborine and Mount Tamborine. Total population about 6500.

Tamborine, otherwise known as Tamborine village, is a different place at the bottom of the mountain. It's not going to be a village much longer as a huge expanse is being developed.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:42 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Agreed...but at least I now prefer the silver one
sliverfish.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Those are pictures of Eagle Heights on Tamborine mountain. There are 3 village areas on the mountain - Eagle Heights, North Tamborine and Mount Tamborine. Total population about 6500.

Tamborine, otherwise known as Tamborine village, is a different place at the bottom of the mountain. It's not going to be a village much longer as a huge expanse is being developed.
Yeah I was reading about the 3 of them when googling as I can never remember which one is which....I was going to split them into all 3 but thought that might be over the top even for me so figured Tamborine was enough for the OP to find them Didn't know Tamborine Village was at the bottom...though probably passed the sign all my life Might go tomorrow and have another look

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 13th 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There are so many factors to consider: atmosphere, buildings, pubs/cafes/restaurants, scenery, public transport and roads, employment opportunities, affordability, lifestyle preferences and hobbies, etc. It's more challenging to get the lifestyle balance right if you decide to live in a village-type place that's inland if your preferred exercise is a walk along the coast each morning and you work in the CBD. If the main hobby in your chosen community is needlework and you're into trail bikes, it's going to be harder to fit in - not impossible, but perhaps less likely.
I agree totally with this...so many factors to consider how the hell does anyone get it right
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Please define what "village" means to you.

As you can see for the 5 pages of opinions on your thread, it means different things to different people, all of which counts for diddly-squat because you are the one that will have to live there.

Does village mean small (define small - 100 people or 1000 people)? old (define old - because in OZ old means 80+ years)? community (what aspects of community)? Or is it just a nebulous feeling?

Also what other aspects of life in OZ do you want? Sunshine and beaches all year round? 4 distinct seasons? other?

When you say "not far away", how far is too far?

Your question is too open ended to answer easily.
To regugitate and put on a fresh slant, UK villages are often spread across the entire of the UK and not far from a city. Australian equivalents are country towns and not really villages in the UK sense but will have a sense of community. The longer distances in Australia mean there will be a greater sense of isolation - perhaps - but there are stories on BE of people who have claimed to have lived in a 'remote' area of England.

Australian villages tend to be found in hills and corners on the edges of the state capitals - where the city abuts the bush...(bushfires?) if they are commutable they might still be expensive but still represent good value for money. ie a house will be 700k rather than 3M, say. Depending on the type they might attract the disinterested, apathetic, alternative, tree-change, hill-lover, tradie, professional or the well-heeled or all of the above. Ours seems to fulfill all of the above. It is not everyone's cup of tea. Many people prefer the sea and the coast which is not unreasonable.

Don't read too much into architecture but you will find 100+ year homes, and a bit of history too.

Research!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I am from a village in Wales - live on the Sunshine Coast and to me it seems just like home - in that it is a community, you keep bumping into the same people, there are villagy things going on, there are allotments etc. Not many jobs though, nursing is ok but you cant have everything.

To me its not the size of the whole region that makes it a village - although there are smaller places like palmwoods that are very villagy. Its the community.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:50 am
Just Joined

sarisburysleuth is an unknown quantity at this point

A big thank you to everyone that has replied! It has given us a lot to think about
The village-like feel, I suppose, is more to do with the layout, style of buildings and, of course, the sense of community. The size of the 'village' is not really a concern, a small town would be suitable. We don't expect to find a UK style village, but would like to avoid the uniformity of a modern suburb. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds; a semi-rural area close to shops and other amenities.
Schools will be important to us too as our daughter is 8 and our son is 3. We are sure there will be further compromises as a result of this.

Thanks again to everyone - we look forward to further postings.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Central Victoria is full of small towns with a distinct village atmosphere. Some of these towns are more or less preserved from the 1850s gold rush period and there is some fine and in some instances rather grand architecture in some of these towns, even with populations only around 1000 in many of them.

The Macedon Ranges area about one hour drive north west of Melbourne and the area beyond that, (the 'goldfields' region), spreading out towards Bendigo and Ballarat have a distinct European feel. This is in part due to the history of settlement of these areas, eg. the Daylesford area was heavily settled by Swiss Italians and other areas were settled by other Europeans, Cornish miners that came out during the gold rush etc. etc. A lot of the early settlers of the Macedon Ranges area were Scottish.

The very European like climate, especially on the central ranges is also a factor that led to European style development of towns and villages. There are a lot of deciduous northern hemisphere botanic gardens, private gardens and street trees in central VIC.

If you want to see for yourself, Google street view has updated a good deal of imagery around Australia and most of it is now HD, especially around the township and urban areas.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

WOODEND
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=woo...1,,0,7.62&z=13

DAYLESFORD
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=day...12,208.06,,0,0

KYNETON
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=kyn...cbp=12,15,,0,0

MALDON (Preserved gold mining town)
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=mal...bp=12,225,,0,0

As some others have mentioned, Australian towns are more spread out as a rule, as we have a very low population density compared to anywhere in Europe and people over here appreciate space, it is engrained in the culture.

There is probably more in common with USA and Canada with respect to the layout of Aus towns than England and Europe.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
We never lived in cities in the UK and certainly didn't want to here. We live 15km outside a NSW regional country city of Tamworth about 50,000 people it has a friendly feel that is much like England of a good few years ago. Few hospitals and plenty of jobs about, 3000 houses going up on the outskirts. The main street is tree lined with coffee shops every few shops and has a lovely feel to it. We live on 6 acres and have Roo's in the garden, deer in the hills and the bird life is fantastic, children are children here longer, no traffic on the way to work and yet you can get everything you want in the town.

Most on this forum seem to think that anything outside the cities is the outback each to their own, personally when visiting the areas nearer the coastal regions and cities, the sheer amount of traffic is the first thing that puts me off.

We visited lots of similar areas in WA/Vic and Qld if you want to pm happy to share an opinion on areas, best thing to do is research areas constantly, tie that in with house prices on the realestate.com website, along with a list of what you want for your family from your chosen areas.....If your not sure where to start just visit Google maps and look at areas surrounding major towns.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy66
We never lived in cities in the UK and certainly didn't want to here. We live 15km outside a NSW regional country city of Tamworth about 50,000 people it has a friendly feel that is much like England of a good few years ago. Few hospitals and plenty of jobs about, 3000 houses going up on the outskirts. The main street is tree lined with coffee shops every few shops and has a lovely feel to it. We live on 6 acres and have Roo's in the garden, deer in the hills and the bird life is fantastic, children are children here longer, no traffic on the way to work and yet you can get everything you want in the town.

Most on this forum seem to think that anything outside the cities is the outback each to their own, personally when visiting the areas nearer the coastal regions and cities, the sheer amount of traffic is the first thing that puts me off.

We visited lots of similar areas in WA/Vic and Qld if you want to pm happy to share an opinion on areas, best thing to do is research areas constantly, tie that in with house prices on the realestate.com website, along with a list of what you want for your family from your chosen areas.....If your not sure where to start just visit Google maps and look at areas surrounding major towns.
We need more people on the forum like you who live in country towns. I imagine a lot of people don't consider them an option just through not knowing much about them. And the govt is desperate to get people to move into regional/country areas.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do hear a lot of strange assertions on this forum about elements of Australia, eg. anywhere outside the cities is wild outback Mad Max/Wolf Creek territory with no culture or sophistication whatsoever, that there are no green fields or rolling hills, all the trees are gnarled eucalyptus, no four season climate etc. etc.

I always wonder what country I have lived in all my life because it is not the one that so many people on here describe. It makes me feel like I am in a parallel universe or something.

The area that I live has all the above elements I mentioned in spades and many parts of Australia are similar right up the east coast and ranges.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:57 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
We need more people on the forum like you who live in country towns. I imagine a lot of people don't consider them an option just through not knowing much about them. And the govt is desperate to get people to move into regional/country areas.
I live in a small town and love it. The snag is that there aren't any high paying jobs here. There is teaching and nursing though and I think the pay scales are the same and with low property prices you can do well.

Many people are in IT or trades like gas and electric, carpenter etc and there just wouldn't be enough work.

People here drive 100k to work and are happy to do it. It only takes an hour (not much longer than a rush hour drive in the cities).

There are also lots of bigger towns though in regional areas. No, these aren't village like but are not cities either. More chance of work there though perhaps.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of lovely small places to live in Victoria. My son lives in a town on the Murray river and I love visiting him. He can get to the snow in winter if he wants, get to Albury Wodonga easily and there are lots of other small towns around which are easily accessible.

He is a teacher and has a wonderful social life. He lived in the Mallee in a wee farming community for a few years near Mildura and he could commute in easily

Places like Wangaratta, Beechworth, Rutherglen, Yarrawonga, Yackandandah lovely small places, well Wang is not that small. Not a fan of Shepparton though and that is not a small place either.

Alexandra is lovely little town we always stop there for a coffee and a meal.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Central Victoria is full of small towns with a distinct village atmosphere. Some of these towns are more or less preserved from the 1850s gold rush period and there is some fine and in some instances rather grand architecture in some of these towns, even with populations only around 1000 in many of them.

The Macedon Ranges area about one hour drive north west of Melbourne and the area beyond that, (the 'goldfields' region), spreading out towards Bendigo and Ballarat have a distinct European feel. This is in part due to the history of settlement of these areas, eg. the Daylesford area was heavily settled by Swiss Italians and other areas were settled by other Europeans, Cornish miners that came out during the gold rush etc. etc. A lot of the early settlers of the Macedon Ranges area were Scottish.
I know of a Scot who has brought a fair amount of land up near Mt Macedon - he spends his time between South Yarra and there.

Not all Scots are feckless and angry...he could and does pass as an Englishman...

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
I do hear a lot of strange assertions on this forum about elements of Australia, eg. anywhere outside the cities is wild outback Mad Max/Wolf Creek territory with no culture or sophistication whatsoever, that there are no green fields or rolling hills, all the trees are gnarled eucalyptus, no four season climate etc. etc.

I always wonder what country I have lived in all my life because it is not the one that so many people on here describe. It makes me feel like I am in a parallel universe or something.
It has been said before! Good posts BTW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.