British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/somewhere-village-like-feel-australia-728388/)

sarisburysleuth Aug 12th 2011 9:30 pm

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Turban Explorer Aug 12th 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth (Post 9555733)
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

There are only a few places in Australia (ie, the major cities) that don't provide a 'village feel' . I'd look at the visa process first and let that decide as you might find you need state sponsorship and are confined to a regional area anyway.

chris955 Aug 12th 2011 9:48 pm

You wont find anywhere here with a British village feel unfortunately. I sometimes hear people refer to small towns here as villages but they really aren't the same at all.

Max&Ozzy Aug 12th 2011 9:51 pm

If you haven't been before you're going to find one of the biggest differences is the shear size of the place. Distances can be huge! In UK you can measure distance by 'time' as in 'about half an hour'. It's less about the miles and more about the time in denser traffic. But here, outside the big urban areas you basically measure in distance, 'oh it's x 100km's away'.

There are plenty of villages, but you're going to find the smaller they are (less mini town like) the remoter they'll be.

Tassie will have plenty, but whole area considered quite removed from main land.

Mountain areas, but again quite far from what you are picturing in your mind.

One example in can think of from our old area - Willunga in SA.
Plenty up here in the table lands too, but further away from the city.

DeadVim Aug 12th 2011 11:22 pm

Logan Village ... The clue is in the name ;)

No, of course it isn't like the UK but that's because it isn't the UK ... The community spirit is good though.

Anyone guessed where I live yet? :D

Mr Grumpy Aug 12th 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth (Post 9555733)

You need to do some research on what rural life means in Australia. Most rural settlements are incredibly impoverished and have very low quality of life(yes there are some exceptions).

Australia is heavily urbanised and living in remote communities is kind of looked down upon.

Rambi Aug 12th 2011 11:39 pm

It depends on what type of village feel you want. For example the village near my parents' home has no shops or pub. It only has a chapel. Therefore it just feels like a commuter estate built in the countryside. Other villages like Cuckfield in Sussex feel more like a town than a village.

The densely packed village is a rare bird in Aus as they tend to spread out a little here. The only densely packed village I can think of is Dinner Plain in the Victorian Alps but that's not near anywhere big and is very quiet outside of ski season.

However I feel Balnarring on the Mornington Peninsula has a village feel. It is relatively compact. Mt Eliza and Mt Martha have a village feel but the former is now part of the urban sprawl of Melbourne and the latter is part of an urbanised strip along the edge of Port Philip Bay. Moorooduc is a very rural village but is about to be divided by a freeway.

Up in the Dandenongs there are a few places that have a village feel. Some are a little too touristy but I feel Emerald has a nice mix. If you want to live up there you should be aware of the bush fire danger.

moneypenny20 Aug 12th 2011 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9555887)
Logan Village ... The clue is in the name ;)

No, of course it isn't like the UK but that's because it isn't the UK ... The community spirit is good though.

Anyone guessed where I live yet? :D

No, I need a precise address. :sneaky::lol:

DeadVim Aug 12th 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy (Post 9555897)
You need to do some research on what rural life means in Australia. Most rural settlements are incredibly impoverished and have very low quality of life(yes there are some exceptions).

Australia is heavily urbanised and living in remote communities is kind of looked down upon.

Who cares who looking down on who? The MochaFrappeLatte set? Bollocks to them.

DeadVim Aug 12th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9555916)
No, I need a precise address. :sneaky::lol:

Unlikely, I don't want this area contaminated by whinging 'kin Poms. :D

Siren & Brian Aug 12th 2011 11:49 pm

Tasmania

DeadVim Aug 12th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian (Post 9555927)
Tasmania

Now there is an option I am keen to explore later in life.

After I've finished the best selling novel.

moneypenny20 Aug 13th 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9555922)
Unlikely, I don't want this area contaminated by whinging 'kin Poms. :D

You calling me a whinging 'kin pom? :sneaky: You are in soooooo much trouble my friend! :sneaky:

DeadVim Aug 13th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9555958)
You calling me a whinging 'kin pom? :sneaky: You are in soooooo much trouble my friend! :sneaky:

Yeh, dancing cats are so intimidating. It's a wonder The Mafia didn't use them instead of horse's heads.

furkew Aug 13th 2011 1:53 am

If you fancy Victoria, but still within about 1 hour from Melbourne CBD, plenty of towns in the yarra valley and pretty much any town in and around the yarra ranges have that kind of feel IMO.

They are definitely not impoverished & looked down upon :huh:

olinda, sassafras, yarra glen, emerald, cockatoo, menzies creek, macclesfield just to mention a few.