Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

What a horrible thought.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can you two go get a room or something?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
What a horrible thought.
You see that is the difference between you and I, I don't personally insult people, I just challenge your views and opinions not you. As I said earlier, this shows you up for what you are far more than it does me.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Rubbish

There was far more community spirit where I lived in the Peak district than I have found here.
Which only goes to show that you have to pick your places.

I do not doubt that there are places in the UK with community spirit.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make sure you get a Blue Peter badge.

Originally Posted by northernbird
You see that is the difference between you and I, I don't personally insult people, I just challenge your views and opinions not you. As I said earlier, this shows you up for what you are far more than it does me.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
just a reminder
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make sure you get a Blue Peter badge.
I don't need one thank you. I have a Jim'll Fix it badge
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:29 am
Banned

Quite right Fish, I shouldn't let someone like her stir me up

Originally Posted by fish.01
just a reminder
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right Fish, I shouldn't let someone like her stir me up
Right, so now that you have got the last dig in have you something helpful planned ?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
We live in Corindi Beach, 30km north of Coffs Harbour, NSW. Population of less than 2,000. Definitely got a village feel. It's one of the friendliest and safest places I have ever lived in. Quiet during the week.

Pub is 3 minute walk away, (to my husband's delight) beach less than a 10 minute walk, and the suburb also has a primary school, pre-school, post office, shop, a caravan park, skateboard park, soccer fields, sports hall and an Aboriginal cultural centre. Very little crime and when I am out walking people say hello, whether they know you or not, or wave and smile from their cars.

Used to find it strange at first - being a city person am I naturally suspicious and cynical - but people are here are genuinely friendly. People come to Corindi Beach from Queensland and Victoria for their holidays. The caravan park is packed solid in the summer. Coffs Harbour is an easy 30-minute drive along the highway, past banana plantations on steep hillsides one side and the ocean on the other. The coastline in this part of the world is stunning.

Your wife could probably find a job at the public or private hospital in Coffs. Don't know about engineering jobs. Coffs Harbour's biggest drawback is the lack of jobs as there are no major companies/organisations based here - apart from Centrelink's call centre. It's the reason why we are moving to Perth in 3 weeks after hubby was offered a job too good to refuse.

Not many Poms here so we are a bit of a novelty.
Attached Thumbnails Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-100_1508.jpg  
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

just a reminder
Apologies, I shouldn't let blinkered people get to me either.

HelenTD mentioned a few places earlier in the thread, Mundaring, Kalamunda if you want close to Perth are excellent choices.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are some horsey acreage suburbs on the outskirts of Brisbane like Samford Village that may suit. Only about a 30 minute off peak drive to the CBD I think. Colleagues at work like the local community but definitely not an english village vibe though.

Samford village shops by cazazz, on Flickr
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

York, WA, about 1 hr east of Perth
Attached Thumbnails Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-castle-hotel.jpg   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-tipperary-church.png   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-york-street.png   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-york-mist.jpg   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-york-pub.jpg  

Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Cold enough and dreary enough to be the UK? (Joke). Note the trees have lost their leaves..
Attached Thumbnails Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-vicvillage1.jpg   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-vicvillage2.jpg  
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Cold enough and dreary enough to be the UK? (Joke). Note the trees have lost their leaves..
Are Prado's compulsory ?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are Prado's compulsory ?
I wonder. They would scoff at my old Saab, surely?

Here is a house in my road, on a sunny day. The view is better from my wife's friend's house 2 doors down.

We live on the opposite of the road - and don't get that view. Make NO mistake - our house is not 1/100th of this house. Anyone who knows me knows that we have a remarkably modest home even by UK standards. It makes me giggle.

And anyone who knows me knows that I am quite happy with that.
Attached Thumbnails Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-vicvillage5.jpg   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-vicvillage6.jpg   Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?-vicvillage7.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.