Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere with a village-like 'feel' in Australia?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I wonder. They would scoff at my old Saab, surely?
Well you're not pulling a horse trailer with your saab though like all those prado's in the first shot are you

Here is a house in my road, on a sunny day. The view is better from my wife's friend's house 2 doors down.

We live on the opposite of the road - and don't get that view. Make NO mistake - our house is not 1/100th of this house. Anyone who knows me knows that we have a remarkably modest home even by UK standards. It makes me giggle.

And anyone who knows me knows that I am quite happy with that.
Surrounding countryside looks lovely. I bet Vic has some great little towns, would like to travel around some one day. I have seen some photos of the grand old architecture in country victoria and it is fantastic.

I can picture you sitting around a fireplace like that one discussing the ways of the world

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 13th 2011 at 8:28 am.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
There are some horsey acreage suburbs on the outskirts of Brisbane like Samford Village that may suit. Only about a 30 minute off peak drive to the CBD I think. Colleagues at work like the local community but definitely not an english village vibe though.
And why would that be, oh helpful poster living in Aus?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Maryborough, Victoria

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdehoo...n/photostream/
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And why would that be, oh helpful poster living in Aus?
Is it because we are in Australia miss ?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it because we are in Australia miss ?
Well, knock me down with a feather! I'm gobsmacked!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many factors to consider: atmosphere, buildings, pubs/cafes/restaurants, scenery, public transport and roads, employment opportunities, affordability, lifestyle preferences and hobbies, etc. It's more challenging to get the lifestyle balance right if you decide to live in a village-type place that's inland if your preferred exercise is a walk along the coast each morning and you work in the CBD. If the main hobby in your chosen community is needlework and you're into trail bikes, it's going to be harder to fit in - not impossible, but perhaps less likely.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Are Prado's compulsory ?
Of course. We went to Coral Bay camping a few years ago with some good friends. All 3 of us have silver Prados. Compulsory to Australian living I think.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There are so many factors to consider: atmosphere, buildings, pubs/cafes/restaurants, scenery, public transport and roads, employment opportunities, affordability, lifestyle preferences and hobbies, etc. It's more challenging to get the lifestyle balance right if you decide to live in a village-type place that's inland if your preferred exercise is a walk along the coast each morning and you work in the CBD. If the main hobby in your chosen community is needlework and you're into trail bikes, it's going to be harder to fit in - not impossible, but perhaps less likely.
We have trail bikes 2 doors down - we don't hear them.

If the village is commutable to the city it will show in the house prices.

It is quite common to recognise locals by muddy boots on the train and from tatty utes.

Originally Posted by northernbird
Of course. We went to Coral Bay camping a few years ago with some good friends. All 3 of us have silver Prados. Compulsory to Australian living I think.
I'm stuffed! And Fish, of course, a horse trailer is good enough reason to own one.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
I stuffed up and got a champagne coloured one to pull the camper trailer
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's it for you then, you obviously have no taste or class!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What color do people with taste, get?

Just curious...not getting one, mind...
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:27 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarisburysleuth
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Australia. We have always been drawn to villages in the UK to get away from the highly built up areas around the major towns and cities. Where could we find something similar in Australia? It would also be a bonus if these areas weren't far away from town/cities where engineering and nursing jobs are available. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Please define what "village" means to you.

As you can see for the 5 pages of opinions on your thread, it means different things to different people, all of which counts for diddly-squat because you are the one that will have to live there.

Does village mean small (define small - 100 people or 1000 people)? old (define old - because in OZ old means 80+ years)? community (what aspects of community)? Or is it just a nebulous feeling?

Also what other aspects of life in OZ do you want? Sunshine and beaches all year round? 4 distinct seasons? other?

When you say "not far away", how far is too far?

Your question is too open ended to answer easily.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We were towing a camper trailer, one couple are campers and the other couple hired a hard top camper trailer. It was like Convoy! A champagne one clearly would not have cut it!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

What color do people with taste, get?

Just curious...not getting one, mind...
Absolutely no idea.

I think that the RAC has some stats on car colours and accidents. Some people might avoid black cars because they think that they're hotter than lighter colours; white or silver is considered cooler. Use of the words 'hotter' and 'cooler' are used in relation to temperature, you understand, not taste.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed...but at least I now prefer the silver one ...discussing one's prado might seem a bit classless so maybe I shouldn't have bought it up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.