Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somebody please make a decision and let me know

Somebody please make a decision and let me know

Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somebody please make a decision and let me know

Originally Posted by wooah
Good idea. Would be interesting to see what "the other side" think ;-)

So let me get this straight. My wife is Australian so I qualify (hopefully) for a partner visa (possibly temp possibly permanent). If I get an Oz partner visa I can fly to Australia to validate it and then fly straight to NZ to live and work if that is what we wanted. Is that right?

What I am trying to avoid is to have to go through the hassle of the NZ skilled migration programme if I don't have to.
You would only qualify for New Zealand residency if you get the permanent spouse visa.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:48 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

With Australian PR you can be eligible for NZ citizenship though, which even NZ citizens are denied for Australia (afaik). So if you get perm Oz PR you can fly over to NZ through Australia and then after five years if you meet the other citizenship requirements you can get NZ citizenship adn passport. Trouble is, if you are keen on Oz too you can't count your time in NZ toward your Australian citizenship, but then you would, as a NZ citizen, have living and working rights in Australia (under current arrangements). If you think you'd like to be able to live in both forever more then your best bet is to do your time in Oz, then head to NZ. If NZ is your ultimate goal then your Oz PR plan is a good one, but I think you might need it to be perm PR- contact a migration agent to clarify
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nickimas
I know years ago it as easier for someone from New Zealand to move to Australia than it was if you were emigrating from the UK for example. Is this still the case or has that all changed?

Nicki
New Zealanders who moved to OZ used to be entitled to immediate Unemployment benefits, hence the popularity.

This changed a few years ago, so no longer classed as good as it was.

Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Nickimas is an unknown quantity at this point

So I'm assuming now that New Zealanders planning a move to Oz are expected to comply to the same emigration rules as say someone from the UK applying ie the points and skills system?

Nicki
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:22 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

No, NZers can just move to Oz to live and work but they can't claim certain benefits, HECs (in fact I think they don't get domestic fees- not sure about this bit) or gain Australian PR or citizenship without going through the same immigration process as UK ppl.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Not quite- Oz PR affords you living and working rights in NZ but NZ PR doesn't get you living and working rights in Oz

I prefer the Kiwi accent- less of a drawl
I have been trying to find some official (ie. government web site) saying this. I don't suppose you know of a link. I am applying for an Aus PR but might want to live in NZ with it.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to find some official (ie. government web site) saying this. I don't suppose you know of a link. I am applying for an Aus PR but might want to live in NZ with it.
look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

also read: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Austra...ts-New_Zealand
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Australia? or New Zealand?
New Zealand? or Australia?

If someone could please decide and let me know then that would make my life easier.

And if anyone says Canada I won't be happy.
Let me know when you get the answer, I've been looking for that for a year now!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of lightwilson01 is a glorious beacon of light

Australia? or New Zealand?
New Zealand? or Australia?

If someone could please decide and let me know then that would make my life easier.

And if anyone says Canada I won't be happy.
Definately Australia, and my reasons:

1: My ex husbands family live in NZ
2: NZ is just too bloody far!

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Other than the links JAJ posted, I arrived in NZ yesterday and was given a residence permit stamp at Auckland airport (I have an Australian subclass 100/permanent spouse visa).

The stamp in my passport states: "Holder may remain indefinitely" "This permit expires when holder leaves new zealand".

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

wooah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Other than the links JAJ posted, I arrived in NZ yesterday and was given a residence permit stamp at Auckland airport (I have an Australian subclass 100/permanent spouse visa).

The stamp in my passport states: "Holder may remain indefinitely" "This permit expires when holder leaves new zealand".

Cheers

Steve
I assume then that if you were to leave NZ for a holiday you would get the same stamp when you returned. Be a bit mad if you didn't.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I assume then that if you were to leave NZ for a holiday you would get the same stamp when you returned. Be a bit mad if you didn't.
You'd get the same stamp if you held a valid visa allowing you to re-enter australia and live there permanently.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
You'd get the same stamp if you held a valid visa allowing you to re-enter australia and live there permanently.
Or if you managed to obtain a New Zealand returning resident visa (if Australian PR visa holders can qualify for one).

There have been cases where people managed to lose resident rights in both Australia and New Zealand by moving between the two countries and not becoming a citizen of either one.