Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so what is the biggest difference?

so what is the biggest difference?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:41 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so what is the biggest difference?

Biggest differences:

I no longer have a permanent job and I earn less than I did in England.
I don't own my own home
My social circle is smaller
I don't sleep so well because of the hot nights, neighbours' kids, and noisy birds
I eat outside less because of mozzies etc
I do less walking etc because it's too hot in the middle part of the day to do that kind of thing, and when's starting to cool down it gets dark very quickly
Clothes dry a lot quicker
I watch less television as the choice is limited
I watch less football as I can't face staying up till 4am
I spend a lot more time online and gmailing
I eat more healthily
I drink more wine, and less vodka
Old Mar 5th 2007, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

For me, its TOTAL quality of life - which cannot be costed or compared.
Little things. My mates popped around the other day, causing me to rush out of the shower with baby in tow, they saw I was busy, dropped off their youngest kids to babysit without being asked, who changed the nappy and dressed her, and then told me to drop around for a cuppa later.

Dropped by with Chief to find some other mate already there, then he and I took their kids to feed their horses up the hill because the kids begged us to come with them. These kids are great - you get a 10 yr and an 8 yr old feeding, rugging up, whilst me and the other guy watched. They are incredibly mature.

I know it could happen in any country, but standing in a paddock on a hill as the late afternoon sun comes in knowing you own a piece of it which still is very cool after 3 years.

If I lived in a new estate there would be none of those little moments just like that.

Finding out all the social circles and being part of it yourself in a tight knit community. Heading to the oval at 6am because a load of people you know from all the others things you do are all there keeping fit. Gets easier and easier.

Complete strangers coming up to you and greeting your daughter who cannot even speak their name. You then know other community events have been on without you but you're still known.

Rellies visiting from OS, taking your daughter to the shops and everyone asking where Mummy and Daddy is, and stopping them in the road.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 5th 2007 at 4:56 am.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:18 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by egghead4
just wondering what is the biggest difference for people living in oz? I know opinions will differ, but Its always great to hear about the things that people are doing now, but wouldn't or necessarily coudn't do in the UK.
bec
For me it's the constant sore chuff. You know the bit of skin at the top of your legs on the inside where they rub against your gingangoolies or even the other leg. If I spend a day outside working the land I have to take the next day off lying up, not moving my legs. It's like adult nappy rash, or a 3rd degree burn. I've tried 3B, Sudocream and even going out in the buff (to keep the heat down)

Something I never ever suffered from in the UK, but here it's just another day in paradise.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
For me it's the constant sore chuff. You know the bit of skin at the top of your legs on the inside where they rub against your gingangoolies or even the other leg. If I spend a day outside working the land I have to take the next day off lying up, not moving my legs. It's like adult nappy rash, or a 3rd degree burn. I've tried 3B, Sudocream and even going out in the buff (to keep the heat down)

Something I never ever suffered from in the UK, but here it's just another day in paradise.
Don't know if you can get it here, Arkon, but in N. America we had something called Gold Bond powder. It's an absolute Godsend for chafing skin. If you can find it in the chemist then give it a try. If not, the American store in Melbourne might have some.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:47 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
The biggest difference is the sheer difficulty of getting things that you want.

Some of this, occasionally, is obviously because of the smallish consumer base. But all too often there is a total lack of interest in improving supply or choice.
Just out of interest Wol what exactly are the sort of things you can't get here?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Just out of interest Wol what exactly are the sort of things you can't get here?

Bisto and Aunt Bessies
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

One example: our new kitchen is to have Corian worktops: we used to have Corian with inset Corian sinks. Here, you are only allowed to have two whiteish colours for the inset sinks - not a continuation of the worktop colour. There's no logical reason for it except that it's too much trouble for the company.

Another example: the NSW government in its wisdom has decreed that our house must have "dedicated" fluorescent light fittings. We have just discovered replacement GU10 fitting globes which are fluorescent - and after a week know far more about these than any retailer - except where to get them, or the 240v connectors! We must have done several hundred Km trying to source them, to no avail - what price energy saving <g>?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:10 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Bisto and Aunt Bessies
Oh so its just the little things that you miss, I am still trying to get marmite, got it once when we first landed but I can not remember where it was now. I am sure it was Bi-Lo in Logan. I do not like vegimite and only marmite will do.

What about a tube of rowntree fruit pastels? Mmmm my taste buds are tingling now!

Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so its just the little things that you miss, I am still trying to get marmite, got it once when we first landed but I can not remember where it was now. I am sure it was Bi-Lo in Logan. I do not like vegimite and only marmite will do.

What about a tube of rowntree fruit pastels? Mmmm my taste buds are tingling now!

I'm a vegemite girl

Can honestly say I don't miss anything like that at all. Maybe I'm weird (no don't answer that )
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm a vegemite girl

Can honestly say I don't miss anything like that at all. Maybe I'm weird (no don't answer that )
Me too .....but not the wierd bit

Took a while to get used to not haing vinegar on me chips though.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:50 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Me too .....but not the wierd bit

Took a while to get used to not haing vinegar on me chips though.

did it make much difference having bbq sauce instead of brown sauce with your zebra
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by louise4
did it make much difference having bbq sauce instead of brown sauce with your zebra

You can buy HP here
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise4
I used to have fruity sauce in the UK

Now I'm a BBQ sauce convert.
Especially nice when replacing the tomato base on a zebra piza
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:57 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I used to have fruity sauce in the UK

Now I'm a BBQ sauce convert.
Especially nice when replacing the tomato base on a zebra piza

hubby loves the bbq sauce there

do you get funny looks when you order at pizza hut
Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:11 am
Home in 2010.

Originally Posted by Wol
One example: our new kitchen is to have Corian worktops: we used to have Corian with inset Corian sinks. Here, you are only allowed to have two whiteish colours for the inset sinks - not a continuation of the worktop colour. There's no logical reason for it except that it's too much trouble for the company.

Another example: the NSW government in its wisdom has decreed that our house must have "dedicated" fluorescent light fittings. We have just discovered replacement GU10 fitting globes which are fluorescent - and after a week know far more about these than any retailer - except where to get them, or the 240v connectors! We must have done several hundred Km trying to source them, to no avail - what price energy saving <g>?
We got ours from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GU10-energy-s...QQcmdZViewItem

Got sick of replacing ordinary ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.