Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

so what is the biggest difference?

so what is the biggest difference?

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:36 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of
Question so what is the biggest difference?

just wondering what is the biggest difference for people living in oz? I know opinions will differ, but Its always great to hear about the things that people are doing now, but wouldn't or necessarily coudn't do in the UK.
bec
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so what is the biggest difference?

Originally Posted by egghead4
just wondering what is the biggest difference for people living in oz? I know opinions will differ, but Its always great to hear about the things that people are doing now, but wouldn't or necessarily coudn't do in the UK.
bec
The biggest difference is the sheer difficulty of getting things that you want.

Some of this, occasionally, is obviously because of the smallish consumer base. But all too often there is a total lack of interest in improving supply or choice.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

bec
Hi
I live on the edge of a forest in the suburbs of Brisbane, we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner outside, almost all year round! In the UK we'd be lucky if we got the barbie going 3/4 times a year! Plus we get to watch kangaroos and koalas from our deck! But the biggest difference for me is waking up to brilliant sunshine nearly everyday!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:48 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayne_sunrise
Hi
I live on the edge of a forest in the suburbs of Brisbane, we eat breakfast, lunch and dinner outside, almost all year round! In the UK we'd be lucky if we got the barbie going 3/4 times a year! Plus we get to watch kangaroos and koalas from our deck! But the biggest difference for me is waking up to brilliant sunshine nearly everyday!

sounds awful..
keep up the good work ,living the good life.....
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:49 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jayne_sunrise
Hi
Sounds great we can't wait to get out to Brisbane in June.
Looking forward to the sunshine and seeing the wildlife.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The weather. 25 degrees at 7am, 94% humidity, dripping with sweat before you are even dressed, arrive at work feeling like a wet rag.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling cold when it gets to 20c ... still wearing jeans when it's over 35c!

Taking children to the bus, walked to school in UK.

Having better food, eating more socially.

Spend 80% of day outside instead of 20%.

Spend more time on internet as chat to friends, email, posting photos etc.

See less friends and family but feel closer as we take time to write letters, call regularly!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Having a bbq breakfast by the lake in brilliant sunshine at 7am.

Working to live.....................not living to work as in uk.

Not having to keep up with the Jones' as the Aussies basically don't give a stuff if you've got millions or nowt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching cockatoo's, galahs and kookaburra's rather than a couple of damp sparrows in the back garden.

Feeling healthier than we have done in years.

Not listening to police/fire/ambulance sirens every 5 minutes. (We've been here since October and have heard 1 siren in all that time and that includes while being in the city!!)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:17 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The weather. 25 degrees at 7am, 94% humidity, dripping with sweat before you are even dressed, arrive at work feeling like a wet rag.
ummmm sounds like fun
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:18 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Working to live.....................not living to work as in uk.

Not having to keep up with the Jones' as the Aussies basically don't give a stuff if you've got millions or nowt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching cockatoo's, galahs and kookaburra's rather than a couple of damp sparrows in the back garden.

Not listening to police/fire/ambulance sirens every 5 minutes. (We've been here since October and have heard 1 siren in all that time and that includes while being in the city!!)

I love this, especially the part about the damp sparrows but you are right!
bec
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

You're 12,000 miles from everything you've ever known.

Takes some getting used to
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You're 12,000 miles from everything you've ever known.

Takes some getting used to
I'm 12k away from much I always knew, but 12k closer to what I've always wanted.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

bec
GOOD - Eating outside, spending more time with kids, better wages for me anyway, slower way of life and watching wildlife. (have become rather attached to the Geckos) Cheaper petrol.
BAD - Miss family and friends. Flies, ants and mozzies. Working in 80 degree heat.
Overall, I'm loving it and if some family were here, would be much better
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:16 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest difference for me is going from having lots of friends/family and being very social to being pretty much a billy no mates with little to keep me occupied as there are not many friends/family here to enjoy it with me.

At least I have a mate coming over from England in July so I have got that to look forward to.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:44 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

The biggest differences are...................................

Well take a look at our blog...................................

bec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.