Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by IvanM
You couldn't make it up!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you can't have a family without someone having sex somewhere.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:57 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The people dying from electrocution and tin foil wasn't down to unions or H&S, it was down to greedy buggers trying to do a cheap crap job whilst taking the full amount from the government in order to make a massive profit.
Agreed, but the greedy buggers did have a legal (and moral) obligation to train their workers so that they could remain safe whilst doing their job.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Any time a government comes up with a good idea someone somewhere is going to rort it. And it's always the government that gets the blame.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:47 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed but in this case it was such a rushed job that common sense checks were not in place hence untrained and unqualified workers ended up killing themselves.

We never hear of the initiatives that work though.
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Any time a government comes up with a good idea someone somewhere is going to rort it. And it's always the government that gets the blame.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed but in this case it was such a rushed job that common sense checks were not in place hence untrained and unqualified workers ended up killing themselves.

We never hear of the initiatives that work though.

That's just the nature of government though. People only seem to remember failures.

During his tenure as President, Richard Nixon introduced the Environmental Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Council on Environmental Quality and the Clean Air Act. He also created the Gates Commission which eventually abandoned the draft as a mechanism for military recruitment.

In themselves, all pretty noble achievements, yet, history will probably only remember him for one thing - Destroying those tapes made at the Watergate Hotel.

S
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:04 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The biggest issue is the interaction with the media and the populace. Good governance does not make good news. There are politicians out there whose policies I dislike but I would rather they were running a department as they are good administrators.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
That's just the nature of government though. People only seem to remember failures.

S
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Todays news on the fact that Gillard deputises her National Security Council duties to a Year1 staffer was stunning. But what was more stunning, and a real indictment of her, was her response in the face of the furore.

/quoted from the australian
While her focus was on the economy, the media drew her back to a report in The Australian that said Ms Gillard asked a police officer to deputise for her at National Security Committee meetings.

"Mr Andrew Stark was a member of the Australian Federal Police for 21 years and I think it is offensive to him, it's offensive to me and I believe it would be offensive to hard working police right around this country to somehow conclude that a man who spent 21 years in the Australian Federal Police ... doesn't know anything about security,'' Ms Gillard said
/end quote

The woman is bonkers. HE was her bodyguard for a while, then made into a junior staffer in her team and now he delegated for her as CHAIR of the national security council. I dont mind her sending someone to take minutes, but the fact that he was chairperson, and whats worse is that she defended it as a sensible activity just demonstrates her lack of awareness. Er yes julia, a cop for 21 years knows NOTHING About the
security of a nation. If someone robs the servo -he's the man, North Korea threatening south korea and the ramification with China's alegiance ...er no. I dont trust him to understand it.

I am really getting tired of hearing her speak in riddles, and the 'lawyer' answer she gives all the time, falling back on the confidentiality of her office to refuse to answer questions about how many of the 74 NSC Meetings she actually attended... thats just nonsense and deceitful. Hopefully people will realise that after only 2 months in the job she's having to resort to this behaviour that is usually reserved for 2nd term prime ministers.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Todays news on the fact that Gillard deputises her National Security Council duties to a Year1 staffer was stunning. But what was more stunning, and a real indictment of her, was her response in the face of the furore.

While her focus was on the economy, the media drew her back to a report in The Australian that said Ms Gillard asked a police officer to deputise for her at National Security Committee meetings.

"Mr Andrew Stark was a member of the Australian Federal Police for 21 years and I think it is offensive to him, it's offensive to me and I believe it would be offensive to hard working police right around this country to somehow conclude that a man who spent 21 years in the Australian Federal Police ... doesn't know anything about security,'' Ms Gillard said
/end quote

The woman is bonkers. HE was her bodyguard for a while, then made into a junior staffer in her team and now he delegated for her as CHAIR of the national security council. I dont mind her sending someone to take minutes, but the fact that he was chairperson, and whats worse is that she defended it as a sensible activity just demonstrates her lack of awareness. Er yes julia, a cop for 21 years knows NOTHING About the
security of a nation. If someone robs the servo -he's the man, North Korea threatening south korea and the ramification with China's alegiance ...er no. I dont trust him to understand it.

I am really getting tired of hearing her speak in riddles, and the 'lawyer' answer she gives all the time, falling back on the confidentiality of her office to refuse to answer questions about how many of the 74 NSC Meetings she actually attended... thats just nonsense and deceitful. Hopefully people will realise that after only 2 months in the job she's having to resort to this behaviour that is usually reserved for 2nd term prime ministers.
That's just appalling. its not a question of him " knowing nothing about security", is it. Its a question of the level of his knowledge being appropriate for the job, and the background he appears to have hardly qualifies him for the level of responsibility for National Security. So he was in the feds for 21 years, may well have been a distinguished career, but its a totally different level of knowledge and ability.
I was in the Police Intelligence Unit for 14 years, and I worked with many guys who served longer than me. None of us would dream of aspiring to this level of job; the woman is seriously concerning.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think she has been rumbled.

This latest revelation plus the leak on her attitude towards pensions and family leave should make people think twice about voting for her party. But will it?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:31 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think she has been rumbled.

This latest revelation plus the leak on her attitude towards pensions and family leave should make people think twice about voting for her party. But will it?
It is an extremely clear example of her arrogance - 'I know best'

If she'd come out and said - i can see how this looks, the guy deputised for me because I was dealing wiht somethign else of national importance, and he fully briefed me afterwards and had my briefings beforehand, he made no decisions and didnt vote..... everyone would say - ok get that, delegation...

but for her to come out and make the statement she did that 'he has 21 yrs experience in the police' is arrogant and extremely wrong. If she truly believes that - then she has no place leading anything.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Surely it would depend on what type of AFP policeman he was. If he was an ACT copper then he would have been the wrong choice but if he was involved in national security then fair play. The chairman is the chairman of a meeting not necessarily the decision maker. I'd like to see more background on the bloke before making a condemnation.

Funny that Rudd was condemned for micro-management and Gillard is condemned for delegating. I get the impression the public doesn't know what it wants.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

The AFP have a lot to do with National Security and foreign operations. A lot of the peace keeping force in the Solomans are AFP Officers.

They are basically the Australian equivalent of the FBI, so a lot of national issues arise. It basically depends on what area he served in the AFP.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:36 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
The AFP have a lot to do with National Security and foreign operations. A lot of the peace keeping force in the Solomans are AFP Officers.

They are basically the Australian equivalent of the FBI, so a lot of national issues arise. It basically depends on what area he served in the AFP.
I really hope you guys are joking. Im going back to putting my head in a bucket of sand.

he was a bodyguard for goodness sake
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

/end quote

I think you don't understand the role of the Federal Police. While in the ACT they do do typical Police duties, this is not their main role. They are more closely aligned with what the FBI do in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.