Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by spalen
I really hope you guys are joking. Im going back to putting my head in a bucket of sand.

he was a bodyguard for goodness sake
And in the US the Secret Service do bodyguard duties for the President.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:08 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
And in the US the Secret Service do bodyguard duties for the President.
oh great. that puts me at ease. Please explain to me how being trained to run alongside a car, take a bullet, shoot people, watch for danger in the crowd (etc) and other physical activities is a suitable background to be DELEGATED as the LEADER of our country chairing national security. I really dont think it does.

One would assume that given that the Prime Minister is supposed to chair it , and he delegated it do the Deputy Prime Minister, that the role in the meeting is important - its not there to take minutes, or say " lets start " and "lets end" they are not muppets .

Regardless of his background, my point is, 1) they cannot run an effective administration that allows them to prioritise meetings so they can attend (Rudd delegated to her and she delegated to ... a junior 1 year staffer..great) it shows a tremendous lack of judgement and administrative capability 2) Her defence of this accusation is to hide behind 'confidentiality' and her secondary defence was to use the usual rubbish that he is a 'hard working police officer' back to the 'fair go' type of colloquial junk that epitomises the same dumbing down that leads us to a 150 person council of 'austrayans' to decide climate strategy.

On a matter this trivial she is prepared to use the privilege of office to hide. I cant wait until its something serious.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:21 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I really hope you guys are joking. Im going back to putting my head in a bucket of sand.

he was a bodyguard for goodness sake
He was also a body guard and security official for Alexander Downer when he was foreign secretary.

I'm sorry but I can't get het up about a news headline which is basically "Julia Gillard sent someone with more experience to chair a meeting about security".
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:36 am
ABCDiamond

Julia Gillard sends Andrew Stark (a former Australian Federal Police and now junior member of her staff) to NSC meetings. (on being asked "whether Ms Gillard attended fewer than half of the meetings", this was NOT denied).

Kevin Rudd sent his 31 year old chief of staff, Alister Jordan, to deputise for him at the NSC meetings. (Mr Rudd had attended every "critical" NSC meeting)

John Howard had attended all but one NSC meeting and only senior ministerial staff were allowed in

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225899273242

I wonder how vital these meetings are considered to be ?

Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:07 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Julia Gillard sends Andrew Stark (a former Australian Federal Police and now junior member of her staff) to NSC meetings. (on being asked "whether Ms Gillard attended fewer than half of the meetings", this was NOT denied).

Kevin Rudd sent his 31 year old chief of staff, Alister Jordan, to deputise for him at the NSC meetings. (Mr Rudd had attended every "critical" NSC meeting)

John Howard had attended all but one NSC meeting and only senior ministerial staff were allowed in

I guess they were important enough that Howard attended them all.

Who knows, maybe they have some other national security meeting where the real discussion happens and this one was some useless ancilliary meeting. But since everyone who has been discussing it in the press has said it was 'the' meeting for national security cabinet where they discussed the security of the nation then I dunno, I kinda guess it was important.

Ho hum, head back in my sandpit waiting for this to blow over.Four more years of pinkbats. hurrah.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Julia Gillard is concerned, national security is not that important.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Regardless of his background, my point is, 1) they cannot run an effective administration that allows them to prioritise meetings so they can attend (Rudd delegated to her and she delegated to ... a junior 1 year staffer..great) it shows a tremendous lack of judgement and administrative capability 2) Her defence of this accusation is to hide behind 'confidentiality' and her secondary defence was to use the usual rubbish that he is a 'hard working police officer' back to the 'fair go' type of colloquial junk that epitomises the same dumbing down that leads us to a 150 person council of 'austrayans' to decide climate strategy.

On a matter this trivial she is prepared to use the privilege of office to hide. I cant wait until its something serious.
I agree. Gillard is a joke and completely out of her depth as PM.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

A lot of the public are actually beginning to see that...

Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the public are actually beginning to see that...
I agree but, unfortunately, I still think she will win the election.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree but, unfortunately, I still think she will win the election.
Not according to the current polls. I hope they prove to be correct.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:01 am
ABCDiamond

Not according to the current polls. I hope they prove to be correct.
Unfortunately many voters who may have gone with Labor will now vote Green, and still end up giving the end result to Labor.

My own poll shows Labor with only 27%, but with Green preferences this could rise to 49% against the Liberal 51%.
Too close for my liking.

A swing from Labor could still end up with a Labor vote.
It needs a swing to Liberal, rather than a swing against Labor.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people who get the position are out of their depth imo. It's rare to find someone who knows what they're doing from the get go.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Unfortunately many voters who may have gone with Labor will now vote Green, and still end up giving the end result to Labor.

My own poll shows Labor with only 27%, but with Green preferences this could rise to 49% against the Liberal 51%.
Too close for my liking.

A swing from Labor could still end up with a Labor vote.
It needs a swing to Liberal, rather than a swing against Labor.
Anybody that votes for the Greens has seriously got rocks in their head and needs psychiatric help urgently.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Most people who get the position are out of their depth imo. It's rare to find someone who knows what they're doing from the get go.
There'e being out of ones depth and being out of ones depth. A leader is meant to lead and Gillard doesn't know how to do this.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There'e being out of ones depth and being out of ones depth. A leader is meant to lead and Gillard doesn't know how to do this.
Do you think Abbott know how in a country wide kind of way? I don't. It's a choice of deadbeat vs deadbeat. Whoopdi doo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.