Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:19 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The point is, whether you realise it or not, is that many voters actually vote for the party, not the local person.

I do realise that they do put their number against that persons name, but, for the majority, they are putting those numbers in order of the party they prefer, not the local person.
Except that is not really true is it? If it were there would be no such thing as an "Independent", would there? You're not voting for a party when you vote for an independent, are you?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ex_exile
So your logic is because I voted for you 5th you should vote the way of my first choice?
Not sure I follow your logic there

Maybe these quotes form the article I linked to will explain it better...

INDEPENDENTS Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor have defied decades of tradition in their seats by backing Labor.
And some locals say they will not vote for them again.

Lyne
Mr Oakeshott's NSW mid-north coast electorate of Lyne was held by the Nationals and their predecessors from 1949 until he took it from his old party at a by-election two years ago.
Mr Oakeshott has repaid by linking to Labor.

New England
Tony Windsor's seat of New England, an electorate contested at the first federal poll, has an even stronger Nationals pedigree:
When Mr Windsor took the seat from the Nationals in 2001, he ended the National party's 79-year hold on the seat.
Mr Windsor has repaid by linking to Labor.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Except that is not really true is it? If it were there would be no such thing as an "Independent", would there? You're not voting for a party when you vote for an independent, are you?
Correct. But those Lynn and New England Voters went with Labor, whether they wanted to or not....

And THAT is the problem.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:31 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Either they put him 1 in which case they did not vote for the coalition or they put him further down and are now demanding he side with the coalition when he wasn't their first choice so what call do they have on his decicion.

Or of course, lets not forget the third option, they are happy with their local members choice.

Sometimes you can't get the member of your choice elected, thats life, its also democracy.

Last edited by ex_exile; Sep 8th 2010 at 11:19 am. Reason: major logic edit!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:36 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Read my post. I said if you think ABC is a troll. You shouted someone down earlier by saying they "talk shite".

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
For the love of god! I can't believe I have to explain myself on this. It's called sarcasm - of course I don't think that. He/she share exactly the same opinion. I'm a troll for a stupid post - you call me a twat, do I think your a troll? Of course not - just someone who has every a valid an opinion as anyone else on here.

Peace.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

We will see how he is repaid at the next election.

One thing is for sure that either way these electorates will have more pork thrown at them than the safe lib seat I am in.

Maybe these quotes form the article I linked to will explain it better...

INDEPENDENTS Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor have defied decades of tradition in their seats by backing Labor.

LyneMr Oakeshott has repaid by linking to Labor.

New EnglandMr Windsor has repaid by linking to Labor.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:40 am
ABCDiamond

Either they put him 1 in which case they did not vote for the coalition or they put him further down and are now demanding he side with the coalition which they did not vote for.

Or of course, lets not forget the third option, they are happy with their local members choice.

Sometimes you can't get the member of your choice elected, thats life, its also democracy.
If they were happy, then it would obviously not be a problem.

But, they appear to have put this:
1 Independent
2 Lib/National
3 Labor

But their vote went to Labor...

and now they are saying things like:

"What's wrong with remaining an independent? There are so many people up here who are really upset by what he has done."

"This is a conservative electorate. It's not Labor Party heartland, I tell you that. I doubt people will vote for Mr Oakeshott next time round - I certainly won't."

"said she had no preference as to whether Labor or the Coalition formed government, but she believed Mr Oakeshott's decision to support Ms Gillard would not be warmly received by the electorate."

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
We will see how he is repaid at the next election.

One thing is for sure that either way these electorates will have more pork thrown at them than the safe lib seat I am in.
That is definite. I saw some figures earlier that made me wonder where Labor will get these extra funds from, to provide the Lyne and New England areas with all their extras.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:46 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I actually don't think this will be the case at all. If anything I think that if those country electorates end up getting more than they have traditionally got from govt this might make other country voters move away from the Nats and start voting Independent instead.

Katter said it himself, that in the 3 years of Rudd govt he got more done in his electorate than the 11 years of Lib & Nats govt. It may be called a "coalition", but in terms of real country representation it is really only by name.

Who knows, this could be the end of the Nats and the rise of the Independents. This will of course hinge on how much Windsor and Oakeshott get out of this govt.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

Another interesting close vote is this one from the Sydney Morning herald...

Did Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor make the right decision?
52% Yes
48% No

Total votes: 86,478

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:47 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Either they put him 1 in which case they did not vote for the coalition or they put him further down and are now demanding he side with the coalition which they did not vote for.

Its not really democracy though, if the wishes of the voters aren't being respected.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

That is definite. I saw some figures earlier that made me wonder where Labor will get these extra funds from, to provide the Lyne and New England areas with all their extras.
not sure where it's coming from, but we all know now that if it were Liberal funding it would have come from leprechauns and a sprinkle of fairy dust
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:50 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Another interesting close vote is this one from the Sydney Morning herald...

Did Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor make the right decision?
52% Yes
48% No

Total votes: 86,478
Except SMH is fairfax and they have openly supported Labor throughout the election, like The Australian (News Ltd) ferociously backing the Coalition.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:50 am
ABCDiamond

I actually don't think this will be the case at all. If anything I think that if those country electorates end up getting more than they have traditionally got from govt this might make other country voters move away from the Nats and start voting Independent instead.
As I said, we shall see at the next election. But that is the mood of many people in those areas at the moment.

If Labor can buy the votes in those areas to keep them Labor, at the expense of other areas, it could have a detrimental effect on voting elsewhere ?

Swings and roundabouts.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:54 am
ABCDiamond

not sure where it's coming from, but we all know now that if it were Liberal funding it would have come from leprechauns and a sprinkle of fairy dust
At least, with the Liberals of the past, however they made it, it was actually there and available when we needed it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.