British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Sensible Australian Election Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sensible-australian-election-thread-677114/)

ex_exile Jul 18th 2010 4:40 am

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

So the election is upon us and the country is split 52-48, well 39-42-13-6 technically but anyway...

What are the issues that will decide which party you vote for?

Are there any issues that will influence you to vote against a party?

What are your views on immigration *not* boat people

Who will win?

As a bonus question, is it possible to conduct a civil political conversation on BE :fingerscrossed:

Sherlock Holmes Jul 18th 2010 5:22 am

Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

It has remained civil for 50 mins so far.......

Coalition to win I reckon as the Aussies aren't quite as stupid as Brits and won't vote for Labour twice in a row.:unsure:

Hutch Jul 18th 2010 7:11 am

Neither of the main parties for me as they're both in favour of the Internet filter - which I consider to be abhorrent and little more than censorship. I'll be voting for the greens.

Deancm_MKII Jul 18th 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 8709669)
Neither of the main parties for me as they're both in favour of the Internet filter - which I consider to be abhorrent and little more than censorship. I'll be voting for the greens.

Abbott stated this week on the news that he wouldn't be supporting the internet filter.

Deancm_MKII Jul 18th 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8709549)
...as the Aussies aren't quite as stupid as Brits and won't vote for Labour twice in a row.:unsure:

Wanna bet?

ABCDiamond Jul 18th 2010 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 8709669)

That does mean a vote for Labor though.

16/5/10

LAURIE OAKES:
Well one social issue – I suppose you could call it – I wanted to deal with quickly, Steven Conroy’s internet filter. I haven’t heard what a Coalition government would do, would you press ahead with that.
TONY ABBOTT:
Look, this is a Labor proposal. When we were in government we offered families the ability to download their own filters. It wasn’t a general across the board arrangement. My view about the Government’s proposals which like so many other proposals has now been deferred indefinitely, is that if it was technically feasible I was happy to look at it but I doubted that it was going to be technically feasible.
22/6/10

The Australian Greens congratulated the National Party for the sensible decision taken at its National Conference to oppose the Federal Government's mandatory internet censorship scheme.
"The Nationals say they have been inundated with complaints from constituents, which is further evidence of just how unpopular this unworkable plan is out in the real world," says Greens communications spokesperson Senator Scott Ludlam.
"This resolution will hopefully guide the parliamentary National party to vote accordingly. The only thing left is for Tony Abbott to declare where the Liberals stand."

bcworld Jul 18th 2010 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII (Post 8709703)
Abbott stated this week on the news that he wouldn't be supporting the internet filter.

Did he say whether we could consider that as a 'carefully prepared & scripted' response...or was it just something he said because it sounded good at the time?

Deancm_MKII Jul 18th 2010 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8709712)
Did he say whether we could consider that as a 'carefully prepared & scripted' response...or was it just something he said because it sounded good at the time?

Well at least you know where you stand with Abbott unlike Gillard, the smiling assassin.

ABCDiamond Jul 18th 2010 7:59 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8709712)

He said it because it is true. And if read properly, it related to all politicians not just him. It is just that he had the guts, or stupidity, to actually say it.

''I know politicians are going to be judged on everything they say but sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark,''
I feel that many of us do that, although I prefer the calm, considered, prepared, scripted response myself ;)

PS: 'Sometimes' mean not all the time.

Coryate Jul 18th 2010 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII (Post 8709718)
Well at least you know where you stand with Abbott unlike Gillard, the smiling assassin.

Abbotts history is not that great either, just recently he said his Catholic religion doesn't get in the way of policy. This is a complete lie as his record has Health minister shows that would repeatedly sprout bollocks about the RU486 drug, and the ability of Doctors to perscribe it.

Abbotts got an imaginary friend, and you can never know what this imaginary friend will tell him to do next.

Every Government since 1999 has been trying to figure out how to filter the Internet. I used to run an ISP and this was even a hot topic back then.

ex_exile Jul 19th 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Coryate (Post 8709792)
Abbotts history is not that great either, just recently he said his Catholic religion doesn't get in the way of policy. This is a complete lie as his record has Health minister shows that would repeatedly sprout bollocks about the RU486 drug, and the ability of Doctors to perscribe it.

Abbotts got an imaginary friend, and you can never know what this imaginary friend will tell him to do next.

Every Government since 1999 has been trying to figure out how to filter the Internet. I used to run an ISP and this was even a hot topic back then.

I do worry about Abbotts imaginary friend but the internet filter is a red line issue for me as well [censorship, impracticality, dumb idea, the idea that child pron is rife on the publicly searchable internet is a nonsense] so I'm in a bind.

I do think that Gillard will win though for reasons that opinion polls wont detect; Howard won multiple elections through the seniors vote, Rudd got the Queensland parochial vote, Gillard will get the votes of the undecideds and middle aged and senior women as they identify with her on a level that has little to do with policy.

Swerv-o Jul 19th 2010 2:15 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 8711234)
I do worry about Abbotts imaginary friend but the internet filter is a red line issue for me as well [censorship, impracticality, dumb idea, the idea that child pron is rife on the publicly searchable internet is a nonsense] so I'm in a bind.

I agree with you on the matter of censorship. For me it's fundamental - If the government have the ability to control [irrespective of how minor] what information we can and can't access, then I don't see how we can develop informed opinions about other policy areas in the future.

They have already earmarked sites relating to drug use, euthanasia, crimes, terrorism etc as ripe for filtering, so how can we have an informed debate on these issues if some/all of the information is going to be witheld from us? This article on government filtering in http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/wh...-a-good-thing/ serves to demonstrate that this will be the thin end of an ever widening wedge of censorship made in the name of the 'greater good'.

We will end up like mushrooms in the dark, only ever able to access what the government see fit to let us read. This threatens the very basis of our allegedly democratic society and should be receiving a lot more attention than it is doing.

As for voting intention, I am in a bind too. I have no love Gillard and the union mysterons in the background pulling her strings. However, Abbot, invisible friend in tow, is also not terribly palatable. Greens? May as well just vote Labor and be done with it.

I think that I would be more willing to back the Libs if they actually came out fighting against the net filter, instead of just quietly mentioning it in an interview. Joe Hockey has had the guts to do so, so why can't the rest? For fear of upsetting the baby boomers who don't understand it all I guess.

S

Centurion Jul 19th 2010 2:35 am

The internet filter is a red card straight away for me. Would never consider any party who supports it.

Also the NBN I consider to be ill planned and will cost taxpayers dearly once the costs spiral out of control.

In fact, if Gillard beheaded Conroy and stuck his head outside parliament I might then consider the ALP but until then, with the Green preferences to Labor, it leaves the Liberals.

ABCDiamond Jul 19th 2010 2:43 am

I actually like Abbott's point on this, he said he would be in favour of it, if it was workable. But it isn't.

I think that many people would be in favour if it, if it was workable in the way that it should be.

There are sites that should be blocked, stopped or something, but it just does not appear to be workable in a sensible fashion.

DeadVim Jul 19th 2010 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8711302)
I actually like Abbott's point on this, he said he would be in favour of it, if it was workable. But it isn't.

I think that many people would be in favour if it, if it was workable in the way that it should be.

There are sites that should be blocked, stopped or something, but it just does not appear to be workable in a sensible fashion.

And it isn't all about blocking 'sites', it's the other methods of distribution that mean the whole filter idea as it is proposed is pointless.

The problem being is if you are seen to oppose it you'll be painted as someone who condones the distribution of this material.

Who am I voting for? Not Abbott's mob but I'm not convinced by anyone else either ... I shall leave my pendulum a-swinging ...